The USA: The Biden Years

It won’t stop abortions, just push them underground - so more danger, pain and death.

What a strange country.

This all felt depressingly inevitable, as does where they'll turn their attention next.

It's absolutely terrifying at this point. The long-term damage Trump has wrought on the basic tenets of American democracy has proven so far beyond what I feared when he lost 2020.

The midterms are going to be an absolute shitshow with the Dems losing the house heavily and very possibly the senate too, meaning the next two years will make the previous two look positively productive, meanwhile the Russian war will likely drag on and the economy will continue to tank, clearing the path for Trump 2.0 or DeSantis in 2024 - emboldened, empowered and on a platform of full-blown far right nationalism.

The US is well on the way to being a far-right Christian fundamentalist state. It’s utterly horrifying.

This is the same group of crazies who changed their recognised capital of Israel because the bible says so. This is what they are deciding their policy on. It’s terrifying.

Grim grim grim.

No one is safe with the exception of cis white hetero males with several automatic firearms - then you're good.

Where do they go from here?

Hard to believe that judges have so much power.

Beyond this just being terrible, it’s just another example of the minority in this country dictating life for everyone. This isn’t what most people want

Ooh, goody, at least he is selflessly sparing overturning Loving v Virginia (right to interracial marriage) for gay marriage and gay sex. Utter piece of shit. :manson:

gettyimages-1176041042-1047c0a853e085902be44cf54fc241f3244f8282-s1100-c50.jpg

Embarrassed to be a middle aged man today. They’re all out in force on LinkedIn having opinions. I don’t use Facebook or Twitter so can only imagine what they’re like.

It’s mostly comments replying to women who are voicing their outrage. Which almost makes it worse. Wind your neck in cunts.

As women are rightly pointing out, pregnancy, planned parenthood and health issues surrounding all of it does still impact a woman’s career.

Absolutely appalled by this decision. What a joke of a country America is.

I was reading earlier how they might ban all contraception next 🤦🏻‍♀️

This keeps popping into my head.

It's absolutely horrifying news. I want to keep talking about it but honestly don't have the words and can only think of radical solutions. Can't Biden arrange for the mass murder of the Supreme Court?

Eurgh. Trash country. Yet utterly fascinating.

It's going to get disgusting. Gay marriage and even being gay are totally targets. It's Gilead on fast forward. Religious, sexuality, race and gender freedoms are totally at risk. I can absolutely imagine the parameters of what rape is could even tighten.

I just went to check in on some teenagers I supervise at work and they were talking about what they’re going to do if they need an abortion and bulk buying birth control because they’re scared it will become illegal. It makes me so fucking angry and I had nothing to tell them to make it any better

Last edited:
Can Biden not get rid of the supreme court and put his own people in? These are all people Trump put in aren't they 🤔

Sadly once appointed the judges have the right to stay in the court until the day they die - and often that's exactly what happens
Unbelievable. So Trump voted them in, knowing they would vote for all the things he wanted, and Biden has no say at all?

Unbelievable. So Trump voted them in, knowing they would vote for all the things he wanted, and Biden has no say at all?
Yes, but it's the way it's always been - Trump just got lucky that a few vacancies opened up during his term.

There was some controversy because one of the Democrat appointments, a highly esteemed judge called Ruth Bader Ginsberg who was pro-choice, died aged 87 in 2020 while still sitting on the Supreme Court, and so Trump could replace her. A lot of people thought she should have stepped down during Obama's presidency so that he could replace her with another Democrat, given her age.

And also one vacancy opened up at the end of Obama's final term, but the Republican-led Senate refused to approve his appointment because it was so close to an election. Then the same thing happened at the end of Trump's term, but the Republican-led Senate had no problem approving his choice despite it being the same circumstances.

@RJN to correct me if I'm misremembering at all, ploise

So basically unless someone steps down or dies, the same people remain in place for years? And the President has no say in it even if they all have differing opinions to him?

So...he doesn't really get a huge amount of say in laws that change 🤔

Sadly once appointed the judges have the right to stay in the court until the day they die - and often that's exactly what happens
This isn't quite technically true. Whilst that's the rules at the moment, it's not in the constitution, so Congress could change things, by for example shrinking the court and then re-expanding it, giving the sitting president the ability to nominate the newly free slots.

The danger of course is anything the democrats do, the republicans will do so much worse the first change they get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom