The USA: The Biden Years

The bar is so low, I’m amazed 3 republicans voted for her

The bar is so low, I’m amazed 3 republicans voted for her
Supreme Justice nominations weren't always political were they?

That said US politics hasn't always been this polarised.

Supreme Justice nominations weren't always political were they?

That said US politics hasn't always been this polarised.
I don’t think they were always so political. I just checked some random ones and it was political in 2006 but in 1986, Antonin Scalia got 98 votes, which seems impossible today

Things were definitely less polarized in the past. But then I don’t see how someone could be a swing voter today, given how different the parties are

Biden on the rampage

Screenshot_20220412-110728_BBC News.jpg

So good old Saudi Arabia thinks they're in the position to be making fun of other governments

This is (was?) the favourite in the US senate race in Missouri, urging voters to hunt down fellow Republicans who aren’t MAGA enough:

It's nothing to do with the constitution really. It's the fact that 6-9 of the Supreme Court are directly in the pocket of the NRA.

Anyway in other terrifying news, the Texas Republican party is now officially running on a platform that declares homosexuality is 'abnormal' and that gay people should have no special legal rights.

The supreme court has ruled there is no constitutional right to abortion in the United States, upending a precedent set nearly 50 years ago in the landmark Roe v Wade case – a rare reversal of long-settled law that will fracture the foundations of modern reproductive rights in America.

The court’s ruling came in the pivotal case Dobbs v Jackson Women’s Health Organization, in which the last abortion clinic in Mississippi opposed the state’s efforts to ban abortion after 15 weeks and overturn Roe in the process.

The reversal of the 1973 opinion will again allow individual US states to ban abortion. At least 26 states are expected to do so immediately or as soon as practicable.

The short version of how Americans lost their right to terminate a pregnancy might be summed up in one name: Trump.

The real estate tycoon and reality-TV star first shocked the world by winning the US presidency, then rewarded his base by confirming three supreme court justices to a nine-member bench, thus rebalancing the court to lean conservative for a generation to come.

That short road led to Dobbs v Jackson Women’s Health Organization, an opinion released this week in which supreme court justices voted 6-3 to overturn the landmark case Roe v Wade, which in 1973 granted a constitutional right to abortion.

Utterly horrifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom