The USA: The Biden Years

I’m not sure what his long term policy for Iraq is btw, and it could be as messed up as his predecessors I just don’t think this one particular action 6 weeks into his presidency is that indicative of anything.

What would’ve been the proportionate response?
If they HAVE to have a response, hit an unmanned facility or something that doesn't kill people - then fucking LEAVE THE ENTIRE REGION. You're not going to bomb your way to peace.

I realise at this stage it's pie in the sky, but I really wish that we - and I say "we" as it does affect the whole world - could have got a president that would have started the managed withdrawal of American empire from the world.

I just think that, MAYBE, after 2 decades the issue could be a little more complex than jumping on a plane and coming home.

The withdrawal of ground troops doesn't have to be THAT much more complex than that, really! Do it in phases or whatever, but they really shouldn't be there.

As usual there are plenty of liberals who care more about civility and optics than imperialist killings:

You can be happy that the president isn't an embarrassment, while still disapproving of military actions/US foreign policy. I honestly don't know enough about this situation to comment on it, but that is how I feel in general

She knows it not getting to 60 and wants to signal that she's bipartisan

Which is of course extremely maddening because the majority of Americans want a $15 minimum wage, WHICH IS STILL HARDLY ENOUGH TO LIVE ON

Reactions: COB
My head says she's awful, my heart just wants any Democrat that can win Arizona (and Georgia and other purple states)

The republican filibustering on the relief package is so stupid. How can they think it looks good? Surely even die-hard Trump supporters want that cash?

My boss went on a rant about how small business owners like herself can't afford to pay $15 an hour.

Which is both wrong and also stupid because nobody where I work makes less than 15 an hour

Same for Sinema. The $15 thing seems like such a WEIRD hill to die on. Will swing voters in Arizona really be so against a national minimum wage that she'd get a bigger boost by opposing it?

They're delaying the $15 an hour thing for so long so that by the time it does happen inflation will have caught up so that they're effectively paying no more of their earnings proportionally.

The recovery bill has made it through the Senate.

The approval of the bill in the Senate came after hours upon hours of voting on a torrent of amendments, most of which were offered by Republicans with the goal of forcing Democrats to take a position on measures designed to be politically troublesome.

Proceedings had already been much delayed on Thursday, when Republican senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin forced Senate clerks to read the 628-page bill in its entirety – a task that took nearly 11 hours.

Reactions: RJN
There is an American fetishization with the "middle class" (which is essentially meaningless since most people consider themselves that) and small businesses that isn't really based on the reality of the situation imo

Basically the middle class and small businesses can do no wrong, and the rhetoric of both parties plays into that

I've been fortunate enough to only having worked for the minimum wage during my student years in New Zealand. And all I remember is that it went up every year (and I believe it still does) and I'm not sure if it's really fixed anything. It's almost at $20/hour now and still isn't a "living wage" to many people. Things never felt 'cheaper' because everything went up with it.

Purely anecdotal evidence of course, but I wish people would stop expecting the minimum wage to solve poverty all by itself. There are so many more factors.

Hopefully this will only motivate Georgia into giving these cunts another L very soon.

It seems weird to say the Republican mask has slipped when they've been pretty brazenly racist for decades, but their current form is actually horrifying. They're not even pretending not to be a far-right nationalist party any more.

It is absolutely disgusting. Just when I think I'm not ashamed to be from Georgia, they do this shit again

Hopefully this will only motivate Georgia into giving these cunts another L very soon.

I do think this will be the case. Nothing that the Republicans are doing are attracting the Atlanta suburbs back to them. If anything, this could lead to Atlanta and its suburbs voting even more Democrat in 2022

One more thing. Arresting Park Cannon was so stupid (and evil). They're losing control of their PR. She is well known among the left here and this will just make people more angry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom