The Vaccination Lounge

Vaccinated? I barely know Ed!

• I've been vaccinated with a different version

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Iguana

If I only could...
With our first Moopy vaccinations having taken place today, I thought we could have a happy thread to celebrate Moopy getting vaccinated one by one!

Congrats to our first vaccinatees today :disco:

We should have a few more in the next few days and weeks due to our wonderful key workers!

I gave a man (socially distanced) directions to the surgery where he would be getting his vaccine while on a walk today so I feel like I took part in the process :disco:

COMING THROUGH after I had my vacciné today like

pLD15A.gif

This is a bit of a silly question, but how do they know you're a health worker to get listed for the vaccine? Is it from your GP?

I think you folks in the UK are doing much better than the rest of us both my uncle who’s a doctor and cousin who’s a pharmacist have gotten their jabs.

This is a bit of a silly question, but how do they know you're a health worker to get listed for the vaccine? Is it from your GP?

Do you have an equivalent of a local health board for allied professionals? We’re in that funny position because we’re NHS contractors and I guess you’ll be the same?

There’s been quite a difference in time taken to get things running, Greater Glasgow (which I’m in) hasn’t been as quick as local authorities in neighbouring areas but I suppose we’re the most densely populated.

If you work for the NHS then you should get a notification/invite.

Not sure how it works if you don't work in the NHS but I would think you'd hear soon enough.

Do you have an equivalent of a local health board for allied professionals? We’re in that funny position because we’re NHS contractors and I guess you’ll be the same?

There’s been quite a difference in time taken to get things running, Greater Glasgow (which I’m in) hasn’t been as quick as local authorities in neighbouring areas but I suppose we’re the most densely populated.

Yes we're NHS contractors too. I just suddenly realised I don't know how I'm actually on the list. Obviously those age related will get notified by the GP, but I'll have to find out about us. I really do think we should get it soon considering we're in a small closed room with no ventilation for 20 mins about 2ft away from a person!

For me it was easy because I work in an NHS setting - a GP there just asked me if I wanted it, and told me to give his name when I went across to get it.

For my colleagues who don't work in an NHS setting (those who work in the needle exchange, hostel workers etc), we emailed the local co-ordinators just before Christmas, and apparently were offered a bulk slot of 60 vaccines for staff this weekend.

I actually don't know what to do re: vaccination. Let me explain.

I have serious acid reflux. It's been a problem I've had forever and has been continually misdiagnosed (originally as "oh your stomach just overproduces acid"), but it's got worse and worse and it has been a YEAR since I went to my doctor to try and get an operation. COVID/ blatant NHS incompetence and being pushed from department to department mean I am STILL waiting. (Long story on my private health insurance being cunts and the financial ombudsman I've complained to doing nothing about it either as they are clearly so swamped right now- about 8 months after I complained to them, but STILL...)

Anyway, long story short- I have quite severe shortness of breath sometimes. It's not a DISASTER but eats into my life- cardio exercise can be problematic and every time I drink ANYTHING alcoholic, the next day I am short of breath. Nothing has been PROPERLY confirmed or diagnosed about it, though, as this has only been a problem in the last couple of years.

So should i push trying to get a vaccine? I feel like the acid reflux thing doesn't count as a respiratory problem, but then are ALL breathing problems as such? I won't feature on any advance list and I feel a bit WEIRD about trying to get in on the act, but I'm also SLIGHTLY scared that if I do get it, I'm going to have real problems. Google doesn't seem to be much help either.

ANY MEDICAL TYPES HAVE ANY THOUGHTS?

Last edited:
@Sheena I know absolutely NOTHING about about any of this, so just some thoughts off the top off my head...

1. CAN one even "push for" a vaccine? I'd have thought there are lists of eligible conditions and you'd need to have recent medical history of having been officially diagnosed with one?
2. Would your other recent diagnoses not push you up into a higher group?

I actually don't know what to do re: vaccination. Let me explain.

I have serious acid reflux. It's been a problem I've had forever and has been continually misdiagnosed (originally as "oh you're stomach just overproduces acid"), but it's got worse and worse and it has been a YEAR since I went to my doctor to try and get an operation. COVID/ blatant NHS incompetence and being pushed from department to department mean I am STILL waiting. (Long story on my private health insurance being cunts and the financial ombudsman I've complained to doing nothing about it either as they are clearly so swamped right now- about 8 months after I complained to them, but STILL...)

Anyway, long story short- I have quite severe shortness of breath sometimes. It's not a DISASTER but eats into my life- cardio exercise can be problematic and every time I drink ANYTHING alcoholic, the next day I am short of breath. Nothing has been PROPERLY confirmed or diagnosed about it, though, as this has only been a problem in the last couple of years.

So should i push trying to get a vaccine? I feel like the acid reflux thing doesn't count as a respiratory problem, but then are ALL breathing problems as such? I won't feature on any advance list and I feel a bit WEIRD about trying to get in on the act, but I'm also SLIGHTLY scared that if I do get it, I'm going to have real problems. Google doesn't seem to be much help either.

ANY MEDICAL TYPES HAVE ANY THOUGHTS?

I'd reckon the earliest you'd be looking at for vaccination even if you're in a risk group is probably spring? So when I had my massive GI issues in the first half of 2020, I also had acid reflux issues every day and my chest kept burning and feeling tight (I still have that issue from time to time), sometimes struggling with shortness for breath - but that was also because my physical condition was a complete disaster.

So, maybe once the COVID-19 situation eases off a little (early spring?), go to your physician, talk about a gastroscopy (though I suspect that's already been done if you're talking surgery?) and maybe a chest x-ray. Just to figure out where you're at with these two issues. And then you'd still be on the early side of things re: vaccination in late spring/early summer depending on the outcome.

I'm not a medical type but having had things along the same line, that's my educated guess/suggestion or what I would push for.

@Sheena I know absolutely NOTHING about about any of this, so just some thoughts off the top off my head...

1. CAN one even "push for" a vaccine? I'd have thought there are lists of eligible conditions and you'd need to have recent medical history of having been officially diagnosed with one?
2. Would your other recent diagnoses not push you up into a higher group?

Or being a carer for your mum?

Well, this is my point. I don't know if "push" was the right word, but I absolutely DO have breathing problems (albeit intermittently) and I have mentioned this to my doctor and is previously recorded. I just don't think I'll be on a list of anyone who should get a vaccine because "acid reflux" wouldn't necessarily be equated with the breathing thing. (It's rare the two go together).

And my cancer doesn't count. The type of cancer isn't one that requires chemo, which I think is the pre-requisite.

Already had TWO gastroscopies. Complete NHS fuck up means I didn't need the second one and ended up at the back of the queue for further exploratory stuff. Hence the year wait.

My asthma was misdiagnosed YEARS ago- it was acid reflux. Really simple difference- if you can't breathe in easily, it's likely reflux, breathe out it's likely asthma. No one noticed!

I also want it noted- it really feels awkward to me to "jump" the queue. I just don't know if my condition/own situation will be on anyone's radar at all, which is what is worrying me.

Actually I know it won't be. But if a doctor said "Ok, it's fine, Covid won't affect you more than anyone else as you are otherwise healthy", then I'd be totally accepting and ok.

I get the impression I'm just going to be brushed off AGAIN, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom