Theatre 2024

I went to see Cabaret last night. I went in with low expectations of the STAR CASTING but thought Cara Delavigne and her great eyebrows did a pretty good job as Sally Bowles.
I STILL need to see this :( I follow WestEndCovers on social media and always think it’s strange that they seem to have about 5+ understudies on for any given night.l, which is a bit weird. I do quite fancy seeing the current cast though.

Think I’ll give Opening Night a miss. Not really a Rufus Wainwright fan anyway and the showcased songs on clips have been mostly terrible.

It's fucking wonderful. I went a few months back for Jake Shears and Self Esteem's understudy and loved every minute.

Honestly Mamma Mia is SURELY just as bad as far as plot and performance goes. I see very little difference apart from the song catalogue.
Mamma Mia is to blame. But this is much worse - if you find Mamma Mia too nuanced you'll probably enjoy it. It's like a musical episode of Mrs Brown's Boys meets Benidorm. The characters are pretty much ALL grotesque. The only one I liked was the bride, who was an understudy, we only discovered at the interval. She was pretty much the only actor on stage not gurning and mugging her way through every shitty line.

And NONE OF THE MEN WERE HOT ENOUGH

Mamma Mia is to blame. But this is much worse - if you find Mamma Mia too nuanced you'll probably enjoy it. It's like a musical episode of Mrs Brown's Boys meets Benidorm. The characters are pretty much ALL grotesque. The only one I liked was the bride, who was an understudy, we only discovered at the interval. She was pretty much the only actor on stage not gurning and mugging her way through every shitty line.

And NONE OF THE MEN WERE HOT ENOUGH
I’ve already seen it and thought it was BAD but enjoyably so!

And I really hated the way you so rarely got a full song. Just a few lines chopped up here and there, then popping up again half an hour later, mixed in with something else.

And fucking TELL TALE SIGNS turning up out of nowhere in a misguided attempt to inject a bit of pathos for two characters you don't give a shit about? Obviously trying to be a Slipping Through My Fingers moment and failing horribly. Fuck off.

Honestly, I feel quite ANGRY about it the morning after.

Just home in time to watch the Oliviers highlights.

I got a video of the end just for a keepsake, but my fav was the audience participation, particularly

IMG_4404.gif

Oh I saw lovely @dUb but didn’t see anyone else. we should have all said hello!

SO GOOD.

Oh Jesus @Ellie I spent Act 2 in the middle of the second row!

@Rula Lenska just realised I spoke to you for a sec! I was the pig in a wig in front of you

Lovely to see you @Sheena and @Madíson!

A TRIUMPH
You were the ones standing and saluting for Let’s Do It For Our Country! :D

I really only arrived shortly before it started as I had to rush from work. Wish we could have properly met up.

Oh Jesus @Ellie I spent Act 2 in the middle of the second row!

@Rula Lenska just realised I spoke to you for a sec! I was the pig in a wig in front of you

Lovely to see you @Sheena and @Madíson!

A TRIUMPH
Ah, yes.

My husband was cursing you because you were blocking his view.

I say cursing. He tutted and said 'Too tall!'

You were the ones standing and saluting for Let’s Do It For Our Country! :D

We joined in with that. The very enthusiastic chap in front of us peer pressured me into it.

Got some very cheap seats last year for Minority Report at the Lyric in Hammersmith. Thought to give it a try considering it’s a 90 minute one act play.

Really RATHER impressive. Genuinely very elaborate and imaginative use of sets and lighting. Never read the book, but changed to set in London with a female lead, but otherwise pretty much the same as the film (from what I remember of it). Definitely worth the £20 deal for centre stalls.

Also saw Billy Crudup in his one man show Harry Clarke last week, which was also 80 minutes total (I LOVE these short shows). Once again I didn’t know what to expect at all, but playing I think 29 characters in an acted out story told from first-person, switching seamlessly. Very funny and very impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom