Three Thousand Years of Longing (starring Anne Charleston)

POLL

• Total voters
Has anyone seen this already? I'm torn because that trailer looks like a FUCKING SPECTACLE and

- Tilda Swinton is my spirit animal
- Idris Elba half naked for most of a film I would quite happily watch

but I have a DREADING feeling that I'd just watch a slightly more MIDDLE-BROW VERSION OF ALADDIN, with a MAGICAL NEGRO TROPE sprinkled on top.

Ellie, have you seen it already?

I watched this last night. It’s definitely not tropey. There are some great visuals and many fairytales told throughout.

It’s ultimately a sweet story in an over ambitious movie but definitely worth the watch.

Also it got me reading about the Ottoman Empire and those freaks were more entertaining than any fantasy book I’ve read.

Last edited:
I was a bit disappointed by this, I think it held its nerve for the first two thirds and then it collapsed into a final act in which characters behave strangely and we're RUSHED through plot points.

Visually it was spectacular but boiling down the whole WISHING CAUTIONARY TALE to

all she really wanted was DJINN COCK in the end

was a bit of a disservice to Tilda's character and to the story.

They, however, had good chemistry I thought. It wasn't sparkling as she was a bit cold and cerebral while he was more NOCTURNAL, but I think it matched what they were trying to convey.

I was a bit disappointed by this, I think it held its nerve for the first two thirds and then it collapsed into a final act in which characters behave strangely and we're RUSHED through plot points.

Visually it was spectacular but boiling down the whole WISHING CAUTIONARY TALE to

all she really wanted was DJINN COCK in the end

was a bit of a disservice to Tilda's character and to the story.

They, however, had good chemistry I thought. It wasn't sparkling as she was a bit cold and cerebral while he was more NOCTURNAL, but I think it matched what they were trying to convey.
That's all very well but how was MADGE?

I was let down by this (I'd not read the reviews, so based on me reading some nice things about it at Cannes I'd stupidly assumed it had been far better received than it has).

I was the only person in the cinema, so by the time I got to the genie's third story and was BORED OUT OF MY COCKING MIND I just got my phone out, read the rest of the plot on wikipedia, and decided it wasn't anything I needed to see so left with (I think) half an hour or so to go.

I just did not need the genie's back story to that level of detail. The whole film should have been about him and Northern Tilda in the present day, not some dry flashback CGI story time.

Sad I missed Madge's cameo, though. It would have been her third of the year for me, after the Neighbours finale and The Newsreader. Here for the Anne Charleston renaissance.

Oh man, the whole point of the film is the stories (for me anyway). The plot with Tilda and the Djinn in London is preposterous and really badly handled. It's a film about stories, if you can't buy into the stories then I think they haven't succeeded.

I have no idea who Anne Charleston is but I gather she plays
one of Tilda's Brexity neighbours
which is so CACK-HANDEDLY WRITTEN my toes were curling.

I really enjoyed it. Visually quite nice and Tilda had a quiet dignity about her that i liked. I went yesterday and the screen I was in was packed, probably the busiest screening I've been in since No Way Home.

Oh man, the whole point of the film is the stories (for me anyway). The plot with Tilda and the Djinn in London is preposterous and really badly handled. It's a film about stories, if you can't buy into the stories then I think they haven't succeeded.

Yeah, I think I was just after something different from it. It just felt like low-stakes filler when for me there was a far more interesting premise waiting in the hotel room

I have no idea who Anne Charleston is but I gather she plays
one of Tilda's Brexity neighbours
which is so CACK-HANDEDLY WRITTEN my toes were curling.
Which ROCK have you been living under? :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom