Tokyo 2020 - Day 1 (Sat 24 July)

Madíson

Everything goes up by six
Medal events: 11

Archery (mixed team), cycling (men's road race), fencing (women's epee, men's sabre), judo (women's -48kg, men's -60kg), shooting (women's 10m air rifle, men's 10m air pistol), taekwondo (women's -49kg, men's -58kg), weightlifting (women's -49kg).

BBC highlights
The men's cycling road race (03:00-10:00) is Saturday's biggest draw as more than 20 Olympic sports roll into action. The race is considered wide open. Britain's four-man team comprises Tao Geoghegan Hart, Geraint Thomas, Adam Yates and Simon Yates.

Britain's women's football team, who beat Chile 2-0 in their opening match, face hosts Japan at 11:30. Watch for Japan captain Saki Kumagai, who helped her country to Olympic silver in 2012 and World Cup gold a year earlier. She's considered one of the best players Japan has ever produced.

It's men's qualification day in artistic gymnasticsfrom 02:00 until 14:00. Britain's men, fifth at the 2019 World Championships, are led by double Rio gold medallist Max Whitlock. Joe Fraser, Giarni Regini-Moran and James Hall complete the team of four.

Elsewhere, swimming begins, although there are no finals scheduled on Saturday, only heats. Expect Olympic and world champion Adam Peatyin the heats of the men's 100m breaststroke at about 13:00.

When is the Karate? I note all the people I used to train with didn’t qualify :basil:

I think I’ll be following the next group games of the women’s football tomorrow.

I might spring for a Eurosport subscription for the month - I can’t be doing with the BBC offering me a badminton heat.

Is there not a precise schedule anywhere? The BBC listed everything bar the sport they were showing - football. Will try again after my Wentworth finishes.

I'm watching the rowing on Eurosport at the moment. So far their coverage is better than the BBC. Far less chatter for a start.

Ah, doing this instead. I've switched over to gymnastics. Faffing about pressing the red button with the BBC for unclear options is not how I'm spending the next 2 weeks for this.

Finished Men's Artistic Gymnastics on Eurosport 4. Almost entirely commentary free.

Update: no, it's still going and commentary back on.

Last edited:
I mean seriously, where has all the BBC coverage gone? They used to have just about everything running. Just seems like they can't be bothered this year.

We have the defending champion just about to go on the pommel horse, and BBC showing a bicycle race with over an hour to go.

I mean seriously, where has all the BBC coverage gone? They used to have just about everything running. Just seems like they can't be bothered this year.

This. It’s weird. Surely you can pick to show EVERYTHING if you like.

Made even worse by having the cycling road race on both BBC1 and the red button earlier.

Well the Judo is alright, there's a lot of groping and surprise nipples, but I don't really know what's happening. I prefer the Greco-Roman wrestling which is basically fucking

This Japanese guy isn't that hot

Watching the Judo I realised that it doesn’t feel like there’s no crowd, well there ARE people there, I don’t know who they must be, but in this sort of Dojo arena it doesn’t seem that strange, especially when it’s focused on the athletes

Thankfully I have eurosport as part of my virgin package. I'll still be watching weightlifting and kayaking.

An explanation for why BBC is so much worse than in 2012 and 2016:

Yeah I was just reading more about it. Discovery/Eurosport bought all the rights but have sub-let some to the BBC because it would have destroyed their brand if they'd have entirely taken it away from them. How fucking gracious.

So it comes down to the IOC being money grabbing bastards.

You’d think the IOC would maybe want people to actually WATCH the sports.

Watching our first chance for a (bronze) medal in judo, not understanding a thing, but girl I’m living!

What a cute little thing

1627122858465.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom