Tokyo 2020 - Day 3 (Mon 26 July)

Carlita Suarez - who just returned on tour after beating cancer - just bageled Wimbledon finalist Pliskova in a tiebreak(!) onto the third set…

Barty, Kvitova, Sabalenka, Tomljanovic, Ostapenko OUT.

The women's tournament is a mess but a delightful mess so far.

But I'd be shocked if Osaka doesn't at least reach the final. The way she's just turning up at hardcourt events without match-play and preparation is absolute peak part-timing Serena stuff.

Carlita Suarez - who just returned on tour after beating cancer - just bageled Wimbledon finalist Pliskova in a tiebreak(!) onto the third set…

Barty, Kvitova, Sabalenka, Tomljanovic, Ostapenko OUT.
Tomljanovic wouldn’t be expected to beat Svitolina. Would love to see Carla sneak a medal, she has a chance in doubles.

Tomljanovic wouldn’t be expected to beat Svitolina. Would love to see Carla sneak a medal, she has a chance in doubles.

Same, Carlita getting a medal in doubles is literally the only thing I'm asking for. Not completely unlikely, she and Garbine were formidable when they played full-time back in the day.

Would be amazing if that happened! Carla just lost the singles match - so sad to see her crying :(

Such grueling conditions to play singles and doubles back-to-back days.

Would be amazing if that happened! Carla just lost the singles match - so sad to see her crying :(

Such grueling conditions to play singles and doubles back-to-back days.
There are still three Spanish players left - all in the top half. Good chance for a medal.

Sleeper pick; Sorribes Tormo :disco:

So we beat the USA in the end? Glad for that as they have very tacky looking outfits.

yeah it was a comeback! NHK was only showing Japan/ROC/China

japan missed the gold by a gnat’s arse :( lovely boys, beautiful boys

Wow Japan just jumped to the top of the medal table :o ANOTHER men’s Judo gold, and they just defeated China in mixed doubles table tennis - apparently the first time China haven’t won every Table Tennis gold since 2004!

@Diddy what’s the feeling in Japan about the Olympics now that they are underway?

Has the success of their team got more people behind the games?

@Diddy what’s the feeling in Japan about the Olympics now that they are underway?

Has the success of their team got more people behind the games?

a bit too soon for me to say, online people are still trolls as ever so inconclusive. But the only time I’ve actually seen people was right after the opening ceremony where they were a bit :meh:

I don’t think anyone I knew was really anti-Olympics itself but the coronavirus was the biggest concern (especially from FOREIGNZ). Cases don’t seem to have exploded yet in that case, last I saw was about 200 odd cases total connected to the Olympics (no idea of the numerous caveats though).

im sure they’ll be very happy to have such a good showing. I wondered if they started so well because Judo is early etc but they’ look to be on a good streak this year with the host boost. They’ve already surpassed their golds for several Olympics in recent memory, so I’m sure they’ll get excited.

they tend to get excited about individual athletes more than the games itself though (but isn’t that everyone?)

Is the host boost a thing if the stadiums are empty? I wonder.

There'll be a bit, because don't hosts get more slots for competitors?

I mean we entered a handball team in the 2012 olympics despite us being ranked behind Tuvalu or something

Is the host boost a thing if the stadiums are empty? I wonder.

depends how much of the boost comes from decibels. I mean watching the Judo there was definitely more noise for the Japanese judoka

I guess the real reason is a bit of everything, morale, more chances at representation, more funding.

The London Olympics certainly were good to Team GB, though they did the almost unheard of by doing even better in Rio, so maybe the investment in sport is a bigger part of the effect, and one that can potentially persist

Doesn't always happen though. Ask Canada how many gold medals they won at Montreal '76 :basil:

Mind you looking at the numbers it’s not as though Canada were Olympics powerhouses up to those points

Brazil won 19 medals on home territory in 2016, eclipsing their previous record of 17 set in London.

If I recall some of their venues were half empty, notably during the athletics.

FiveThirtyEight crunched the numbers in 2016, but I don’t agree with their conclusions:

They ascribe the home advantage almost entirely to an increased number of competitors.

The diving was so close and tense, the British duo held their nerve and form well.

I only saw the last couple of rounds but it was so tight. Leon thingy putting the medals round their necks slightly prematurely made me extra nervous. It did amuse me how when they were celebrating the cameras stubbornly stayed on Matty Lee hugging everyone while commentary talked about Tom.

The mountain biking looked exhausting. Despite his lead that was tense watching for me too on all those dodgy bumpy bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom