Tokyo 2020 - Day 9 (Sun 1 Aug)

Bizarre end to the high jump @Sheena is this normal?
It’s happened before but not that I know of at the Olympics. The women’s World Indoors in 2014 is the last time I remember athletes just deciding between them.

It happens for other medals because they athletes are already out of the competition when they’re decided.

Eliminated after ONE FALSE START?

That’s been the rule for years. And he’s an idiot. Threw away a chance at a medal, albeit that I do think he’d probably have come 6th or so.

That’s been the rule for years. And he’s an idiot. Threw away a chance at a medal, albeit that I do think he’d probably have come 6th or so.

I didn't really see him getting a medal but the false start was ridiculous, especially coming the same day as Prescod.

I loved the high jump outcome, for both of them. The British 800m men were a bit of a damp squib, especially after all the hype about the quality we have in the event. Rowden got in a bad position with no room and Giles gave it a go leading it out, but the looking round when he got passed was a bit odd.

Last edited:
I didn't really see him getting a medal but the false start was ridiculous, especially coming the same day as Prescod.

I loved the high jump outcome, for both of them. The British 800m men were a bit of a damp squib, especially after all the hype about the quality we have in the event. Dowden got in a bad position with no room and Giles gave it a go leading it out, but the looking round when he got passed was a bit odd.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t see him getting a medal either, but he looked really good in his semi from the outside and with a poor start. Still, we agree he wasted it.

The 800m was so annoying- Rowden tactically was a mess and yes, Giles looking round was weird. So many times he’s looked good in the heats and gone out in the semis, though, and I saw it coming when he went to the front.

I really am worried now. Nothing seems to be going our way and I think the team has been prepared badly. Though I’m thinking the W800 should give us one, and the relays, we could just as easily leave with nothing.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t see him getting a medal either, but he looked really good in his semi from the outside and with a poor start. Still, we agree he wasted it.

The 800m was so annoying- Rowden tactically was a mess and yes, Giles looking round was weird. So many times he’s looked good in the heats and gone out in the semis, though, and I saw it coming when he went to the front.

I really am worried now. Nothing seems to be going our way and I think the team has been prepared badly. Though I’m thinking the W800 should give us one, and the relays, we could just as easily leave with nothing.

I know, the realistic medal chances seem to be thin and thinning out. Hopefully the 800m plays out, but getting to the relays with nothing and pinning hopes on them to save face feels like a bad place to be in. Holly Bradshaw possibly on a good day, though that might rely on other more reliable contenders underperforming?

I wonder if the IOC will take any action over Raven Saunder's podium protest. I hope not and they let it slide, but you never know with the IOC.

800.jpeg

Was the Oduduru DQ explained? He was less bad than the Brit who only got a green. I really do feel for them, especially with the card waving in their faces like that.

Laura Muir has a shot in the 1500m, no?

Yeah, absolutely, but Faith Kipyegon is the red hot favourite by a mile, Sifan Hassan will be difficult to beat and suddenly she’s in a scrap for bronze. Muir won’t run for bronze, she’ll run to win, which means someone else could sneak in if she dies at the end- as has happened in previous champs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom