Tokyo 2020

Apoca

ASCENDENTE
Might be fair to open up a thread on this year's Summer Olympics - if they do go ahead as scheduled that is.

Today's press release was the first one where you could sense some panic from the IOC in terms of everything going according to plan ("19 weeks to go"). Before that it's been typical Lausanne-diplomacy.

Either way, they've lit the Flame today and started the Torch Relay.

I really hope it happens. I didn't realise until 2016 how much I loved the Olympics (I was so stoned during 2012 I barely remember it).

I would be much more disappointed if this doesn't go ahead than I would be if it happens to Eurovision.

Olympic Games would have been better if we’d be forced to watch every game. I don’t like that there are tons of different competitions going on at the same time. Too OCD for that.

Olympic Games would have been better if we’d be forced to watch every game. I don’t like that there are tons of different competitions going on at the same time. Too OCD for that.
This is like saying you don't like orgies because there are so many options for having sex at the same time. I mean :rolleyes:

So have they put the Olympic flame out already? :side-eye: I can't see this happening at all, but they can always do it via satellite from everyone's countries :)

Reactions: dUb
Is it viable to do this next year? Because it's a matter of time they cancel it, and waiting for another 4 years seams a bit too much.

Last edited:
Shinzo Abe will do all disciplines to save face and avoid harakiri

Wrong! World cup > Eurovision > Olympic Games
WORLD CUP??

f788b97e4c10b59b1727a5ca4ccc5fe5.jpg

I feel sorry for anyone who isn’t into the World Cup extravaganza. It has everything: hot men, flags, national anthems, excitement, hope, despair, defeat... I guess the same thing could be said about the two other events, but they’re never on the same intense level.

I'll give football despair and defeat. The rest, NOT SO MUCH

Canada and Australia have announced they will not be sending a team to take part if it goes ahead.

Soccer seems to be the most emotional and unifying sport in the world. People just don't get as excited over SOLO SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING. So I agree with RS. The World Cup is the most entertaining.

The Olympics are too diluted I think. And it's harder to follow.

Eurovision...I don't know her.

Soccer seems to be the most emotional and unifying sport in the world. People just don't get as excited over SOLO SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING. So I agree with RS. The World Cup is the most entertaining.

The Olympics are too diluted I think. And it's harder to follow.

Eurovision...I don't know her.
Completely disagree. My mum,aunts, sisters , workmates who aren’t regular sports fans etc live for the Olympic Games red button to dip between sports I find .

Olympics
World Cup

Eurovision

Gutted. But again inevitable.

2020 was going to be such a cracking year as well.

Just saw this. This is terrible for many athlets, as they train really hard during years to be in their best moment for the Olympics. I'm really sorry for them.

The branding people seem to be in charge:

“The Olympic Games and Paralympic Games will continue to be called the ‘Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020’ even if they are held next year”

It just doesn't make any logistical sense at the moment.

I don't understand why they can't delay for another year though. Having them two years apart is hardly the end of the world. I know it would play up with other competitions but it's a ONE-OFF for exceptional circumstances.

They're still very very keen to make it happen in 2021.

Beijing 2022 will be a bit of a mess in terms of qualifications but I think that has a good chance of happening as planned, even if everyone's still wearing masks and is distancing.

No spectators :(

Also the entirety of Tokyo is in State of Emergency till the games. Sounds like they are absolutely desperate to make this happen and pulling out all the drastic last minute measures to make sure it does.

Oops
It was looking a bit increasy after the last State of emergency ended 3 weeks ago.

its sort of like Eurovision - sure it won’t be like the normal ones but it’s perfectly capable of being held if they do it with safety precautions.

there’s a lot of talk about cancelling it from the public (or at least the parts that are listened to by the media who want to make a narrative), but that’s more anti government and anti foreigners than anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom