Tokyo 2020

Oh dear, without spectators these Games are gonna be anything but profitable, I'm sorry for them :(

well they said 75% of the profits is from broadcast rights so it can’t be that bad. There’s only so many spectators you can get compared to the TV audience.

the big loser is the tourism industry though. But things are opening up, the locals will spend a bit of cash this summer at least, especially the oldies who are getting vacced up now.

I mean they won’t go to Tokyo but nobody goes there for a holiday

Oh yes, I mean Tokyo in general, no spectators = no tourists.

Mind you, Tokyo doesn't need any more money :basil:
It's a bit like the "London, centre of the universe" syndrome - it's the tourism industry in the rest of the country that really needs the run-off from people arriving in Tokyo.

The government had a "Go To Travel" campaign (those english classes paying off..) last year to try and boost things domestically, but that got criticised a lot when it kept running way into the time they should've been locking down

Oh hang on, Japan is still closed to practically all foreign visitors anyway - the question over Olympics attendance was only over Japanese spectators or not

Fans of putting things in alphabet order based on wacky foreign alphabets will appreciate the running order for the parade of nations:

I will be cheering on the athletes from Rihitenshutain.

Their flag bearer will be Oupii Gorudobaagu

anyway that is a CHOICE!! Kind of shocked for Japan to break with any kinds of tradition, but it’ll keep everyone guessing when they’ll be on.

I still haven’t memorised the Japanese alphabetical order, I know a i u e o ka ki ku ke ko but then I forget

just remember A is for Iceland and the last one is France

Oh I beg your pardon, USA and France are the last two before Japan because they’re upcoming hosts. The last alphabetically is… Russia, because of course

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland AGOG at GB being introduced as Igirisu.

Also lol @ the Olympics banning Russia from competing under their name and then just having them in as RUSSIAN OLYMPIC COMMITTEE instead.

Yeah, that'll tell 'em! :D

Bit weird that Russia can't compete under "Russia" but "Russian Olympic Committee" (or "ROC") is fine. AND a slap in the face to "Chinese Taipei" who have never been able to partake under the name of their actual country name Republic of China (or... ROC :bruised:)

Actually, anyone taking part in the Olympics as ROC sounds like the sort of thing that might upset the thin-skinned bullies of the Chinese government. I wonder if the IOC thought to tell them.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland AGOG at GB being introduced as Igirisu.

Igirisu means the UK though, so that’s alright isn’t it?

I mean the word is based on a misinterpreted exchange between Japan and Portugal, who called us Ingles or something similar

Oh dear, without spectators these Games are gonna be anything but profitable, I'm sorry for them :(
Exactly my thoughts but I guess they have already paid for everything since last year so there's not much they can do.
Which is a shame cause it's not like they have had it easy over the past years, following the earthquakes, the tsunamis, the soil liquefaction, the fukushima accident and so on.

Exactly my thoughts but I guess they have already paid for everything since last year so there's not much they can do.
Which is a shame cause it's not like they have had it easy over the past years, following the earthquakes, the tsunamis, the soil liquefaction, the fukushima accident and so on.
The tsunami and Fukushima was more than ten years ago :D

Also lol @ the Olympics banning Russia from competing under their name and then just having them in as RUSSIAN OLYMPIC COMMITTEE instead.

Yeah, that'll tell 'em! :D

They don’t have a full team quota either as a result. So Russia are not competing in athletics, they are “Authorised Neutral Athletes” and they’re only allowed to send a team of ten, and even then it has to be ones that World Athletics deem as having passed adequate anti- doping criteria.

Igirisu means the UK though, so that’s alright isn’t it?

I mean the word is based on a misinterpreted exchange between Japan and Portugal, who called us Ingles or something similar

That's Portuguese for English :( 16th century Portuguese traders CANCELLED.

In tennis, Roger Federer has withdrawn due to injury. Jo Konta and Dan Evans have both withdrawn as they both tested positive for covid-19. Leaving Heather Watson and Andy Murray for singles. :bruised:

Anyway, I'm mega excited for this. Apart from the games, I'm hoping we get a J-pop megaton for the closing ceremony and perhaps some Nintendo cosplay for the opening.

Reactions: COB
Reigning tennis silver medalist and Moopy favourite Angie Kerber OUT. Says her body needs to rest. A bit surprising and disappointing after the succesful grass court season :(

Anyway, I'm mega excited for this. Apart from the games, I'm hoping we get a J-pop megaton for the closing ceremony and perhaps some Nintendo cosplay for the opening.

Bring on the dancing Pikachu!

hoping my whole ASFM journey has been leading up to this ceremony. Certainly hoping Perfume will make an appearance if they want to show off Japanese tech, it’s the ONLY choice.

I know Lemon hitmaker Yonezu Kenshi will put in an appearance somehow.

it was supposed to Arashi, the biggest boy band, front and centre, but they went on hiatus at the end of 2020… I wonder if they’ll pop up anyway though

Reactions: COB
Reigning tennis silver medalist and Moopy favourite Angie Kerber OUT. Says her body needs to rest. A bit surprising and disappointing after the succesful grass court season :(
I wonder what Monica Puig is up to at the minute, she's been inactive for a while.

Three days before the Olympics kick off and Poland have sent six swimmers home after selecting too many in their squad by mistake. What an absolute cock up.

The GB Women’s football team are playing their first group game at the minute.

Currently up 1-0 :disco:

I'm so excited for this to properly get going.

The early news has been a hot mess but I'm hoping for a London 2012 sensation in the end.

it always is a hot mess before, isn’t it?
I mean there was a very vocal anti-London contingent, they said Rio wasn’t ready/on fire etc, probably made up someone about Beijing because everyone wants to shit on China, this is no different really

I’m not a fan of the new Olympics selection process either. It’s even less transparent than before.

I don't get it.

Did the IOC just go "we want that one" and then everyone got to vote on whether they agreed or not, with no real alternative possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom