trend alert: r&b's new it girls

ameraal

la loi de murphy
say hi to:

alex mali, brooklyn new caribbean queen. smooth, clean and extraodinarily melodic. i hope last month's start it up picks up. it's beautiful and your booty will appreciate it too.

hailing from venezuela by way of miami, it's maye. my love changes tempo. my love reminds me of minnie ripperton. my love sounds like a cool new sade. my love has spanish in it. my love is heaven.

the cam'ron sample, the 90s video referencing, the covered up looks, i love this track. it's kinda like vintage mary j. it's by irish/jamaican londoner ella mai and fellow brit who hasn't released her myhertiage page mahalia.

any excuse to shoe-horn tei shi in. this new one by the colombian-canadian singer is lovely.

clairo doesn't really do r&b but on this single she makes an exception. the only kind of "trap" i kinda enjoy. it's not my favourite song ever but she's got a bit of an aaliyah thing going on which is cool.

maybe i'm playing loosey-goosey with the term r&b but this just gives me a bit of a vintage soul/funk vibe. i love it. it's by jay som. she's from the us but her parents are filipino. ethnicity and nationality are apparently very relevant to me tonight for some reason.

try me sounds a bit jamaican but it's by nigerian artist tems who is "redefining the nigerian music scene on note at a time" according to an official blurb. she needs to clean up the lyrics a little but the music is on point and her voice is pure emotional.

this is from almost a year ago but i only discovered it recently. koffee is a new jamaican sensation whose buzz only seems to be catching on. t-t-t-toast! (i like this less than i'd like to)

Last edited:
There's such a massive new wave of female R&B and it's fucking delightful. Those picks are all beautiful. REAL VOCALS are back :disco:

I've been obsessed with these 2 ladies

The Mahalia/Ella Mai track is GORGEOUS. It's so smooooth :love::love:. That Rose Royce sample will ALWAYS sound good.

Ella's voice is insane.

i've liked a couple of yuna songs. when she gets it right she's really easy on the ear. here she's something of a female jamiroquai circa love foolosophy so if you liked that you might like this. (malaysian)

i've heard of nilufer yanya's sound described as deconstructed r&b. the critics love her but i never got into her despite wanting to, her latest actually also being the first song by her i've enjoyed. (it makes sense after a couple of spins). she's turkish-irish-barbadian blood born in the uk. no wonder.

poor american niia only has an italian mother to boast when auditioning for benetton campaigns. she's been doing her thing for a while now and every now (get it) and then i quite like a track by her. she likes a bit of drama. i can relate.

bea1991 is definitely the most likely to work with bjork of the group. she hails from the netherlands, she likes working with blood orange and needle point (probably).

i know nothing about mariah the scientist but this song is pretty dope.

My favourite nu-R&B girl voices at the minute belong to Kali Uchis, VanJess, Amber Mark, SZA, Mahalia and Lolo Zouaï, Sabrina Claudio and H.E.R.

I will give some of your girls a spin, thanks am!

I have been enjoying Niia's Whatever You Got lately. Quite the groove:

Nilufer Yanya's album is good but Heat Rises is comfortably the standout.

both of those songs are great, especially Heat Rises. thanks babes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom