TV Ratings 2021

In cold comfort for EastEnders, at least the Christmas Day episode did very slightly better than Mrs Brown's Boys that immediately followed it. And that episode did also do better than the lowest Emmerdale episode, which happens rarely these days.

It will be interesting to see if returning to full half hour episodes makes a difference to it.

That looks A LOT BETTER for Call the Midwife. PHEW! Although I think I read that it has a couple of years left in it, then will likely stop at the early 70’s for a reason I can’t recall. I thought it was that nuns stopped working as midwife’s in the 1970’s but Google tells me they carried on until the 90’s although I certainly can’t recall nuns working as midwife’s in the 70’s/80’s.WHO KNOWS?

I wouldn't worry about the time frame aspect of Call The Midwife. Heartbeat managed to make a period of less than a decade last for 18 series. It is still turning in remarkable ratings for I'm guessing a reasonably cheaply produced drama? They will make it work if they want it to.

The BBC announced last year that it has commissioned series 12 and 13 (I believe 11 has just started), both 8 x 1 hour episodes plus a special. That keeps it on air until at least 2024.

I wouldn't worry about the time frame aspect of Call The Midwife. Heartbeat managed to make a period of less than a decade last for 18 series. It is still turning in remarkable ratings for I'm guessing a reasonably cheaply produced drama? They will make it work if they want it to.

The BBC announced last year that it has commissioned series 12 and 13 (I believe 11 has just started), both 8 x 1 hour episodes plus a special. That keeps it on air until at least 2024.

Yes, you are right if they want to string it out in the 60’s then I’m sure they could. I cant really remember the trajectory of Heartbeat? Did they start off with each series being a different year? Call The Midwife has consistently followed a year to year sequence. I think we are on 1967 now so a season in 2024 would take it to 1969.

Incidentally @FaiRitale of New York , this was what the BBC said when it announced two further series in April last year. It refers to 9m for its Christmas Specials - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this year's end up near that after the 28 day chart is published, as it was the #2 show of the week on iPlayer over that week (2.962m against 3.120 for A Very British Scandal).

With series ten due to launch on Sunday 18 April at 8pm and series 11 about to commence filming, Call The Midwife will now be on air until 2024. Series 12 and 13, commissioned by Piers Wenger, Director of BBC Drama and Charlotte Moore, Chief Content Officer, will consist of two 8x60’ series and two Christmas specials.

Made by Neal Street Productions for BBC One and BBC iPlayer, Call The Midwife is celebrating its tenth anniversary series this year and continues to be one of Britain’s most popular and most watched drama series since it launched in 2012. The series attracts an enormous audience for BBC One, with its Christmas Specials achieving over 9 million viewers. Series nine was also the fourth biggest drama across all channels in 2020. The drama has won multiple awards across the decade for its depiction of challenging medical stories which are tackled by the nuns and midwives of Poplar.

Heidi Thomas, Creator, Writer and Executive Producer, says: “It’s an incredible privilege to be able to look back on a decade of Call The Midwife, and yet know that our journey is still very far from over. We are thrilled to be going on for a few more years! Like Nonnatus House itself, we have a proud past but an even more exciting future - full of old favourites, fresh faces, higher hemlines, new ideas. The stories we tell are like babies - they never stop coming, we love them all, and we vow to do our best by every single one.”

Pippa Harris, Executive Producer for Neal Street Productions, says: “We are all delighted by this vote of confidence from the BBC, and are looking forward to delivering more laughter, tears and babies for our loyal fans. Over the past ten years it has been an honour to see how warmly the show has been embraced by audiences around the world, thanks to the skilful writing of Heidi Thomas and the brilliant work of our cast and crew.”

Piers Wenger, Director of BBC Drama, says: “The enduring popularity of Call The Midwife is a testament to the extraordinary love and creativity from its creator Heidi Thomas and its producers Pippa Harris and Ann Tricklebank. We are delighted to have secured the future of Call The Midwife for two further series beyond those which are currently in production, and look forward to enjoying more adventures for the inhabitants of Nonnatus House for years to come."

Series creator Heidi Thomas continues to lead the writing team and serve as Executive Producer alongside Pippa Harris and Ann Tricklebank. Executive Producer for the BBC is Mona Qureshi with Ann Tricklebank as Producer.

Yes, you are right if they want to string it out in the 60’s then I’m sure they could. I cant really remember the trajectory of Heartbeat? Did they start off with each series being a different year? Call The Midwife has consistently followed a year to year sequence. I think we are on 1967 now so a season in 2024 would take it to 1969.
I never watched it so I'm not sure, but I seem to recall reading that it started off moving forward in a specific way, but then became very vague other than it being 60s as the series progressed.

Comparing viewing figures for Christmas week 2020 and 2021

Strictly +0.57m
Michael McIntyre's The Wheel +0.037m

Call The Midwife -0.342m
Ghosts -0.569m
All Creatures Great And Small -0.678m
EastEnders-0.828m*
Emmerdale -0.866m
Coronation Street -1.201m
Mrs Brown's Boys -1.339m
Blankety Blank -1.355m
The Repair Shop -1.623m
The Great British Sewing Bee -1.649m

That's assuming the best case scenario for EastEnders in terms of rating this week/year.

As much as I LOVE Strictly I am never really that bothered about the Christmas special.

Nearly everything well down then. Strictly was just a countdown best of show last year I think?

Has anyone watched any of Anne yet? I well up even when I see an advert for it, not sure I could watch it. :(

Shall we have a What Are You Watching 2022 thread? I'll be starting a new ratings one next week as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom