13 Mrs Brown's Boys 4.023m
14 The Big New Years & Years Eve Party with Kylie & Pet Shop Boys 3.904m
15 EastEnders 3.896m
16 The Chase: The Bloopers 3.729m
17 Film: Downton Abbey 3.670m
18 Jools' Annual Hootenanny 3.589m
19 The Graham Norton Show 3.554m
20 Celebrity Catchphrase 3.523m

Not bad for the Weakest Link - I've enjoyed it being back, though less keen on Romesh as the host

Great figures for The Tourist. I guess the rest of the episodes will be a lot lower given alot of people binge watched it?

Great figures for The Tourist. I guess the rest of the episodes will be a lot lower given alot of people binge watched it?
Presumably, but the BARB website includes advance viewing now, if the programme is in the top 15 for the channel, which I imagine it will remain for the BBC.

I can't help but think that's slightly disappointing for The Masked Singer. It started slightly down on last year, and last year was the year it exploded, increasing to 7m+ through the run and then 8m+ for the final. ITV must have hoped it would open stronger this year.

2.631m for the first episode, which is the only one included in this chart period.

That must be very disappointing for ITV considering the amount of advertising it got on the run up to the first episode.

Of that 2.631m, just over a million was on catch up. So perhaps it may find an audience yet. It certainly feels to me that there have been a lot of new dramas all starting since Christmas.

I wonder if a lot of people opted out due to it being so upsetting or am I clutching at straws?

I wonder if a lot of people opted out due to it being so upsetting or am I clutching at straws?
Well I did. Or at least I thought it would be too much as I'd just finished Four Lives when Mr L started watching it.

Well I did. Or at least I thought it would be too much as I'd just finished Four Lives when Mr L started watching it.

I didn’t plan on watching either but did watch Anne, and was crying throughout most it.

Disappointingly Maxine Peake is unlikely to get nominated for any big accolades after her phenomenal performance in Anne if viewing figures remain low. :(

Anne was on at the same time as Four Lives, and I think viewers picked one to watch and their audiences split, but I think both had a lot of word of mouth and press and will do well on catch up

The first episode of Anne was against the second episode of The Tourist. Four Lives won't feature until next week.

I can't help but think that's slightly disappointing for The Masked Singer. It started slightly down on last year, and last year was the year it exploded, increasing to 7m+ through the run and then 8m+ for the final. ITV must have hoped it would open stronger this year.
I thought that too… maybe the masked dancer did more harm than good

The Masked Dancer just needs to be exterminated. Who even WON that? Was it Louis Smith?

The Masked Dancer just needs to be exterminated. Who even WON that? Was it Louis Smith?

I just had to google this as had no recollection of him even being on it, but yes you are right Louis Smith won it.

All I remember is thinking Bonnie Langford was a Pussycat Doll before the reveal.

It's been renewed for series 2 in the UK. Interestingly no decision has been made in the US.

I saw a tweet from guy who posts about TV ratings which referred to the 5 terrestrial channels having a 'very good day' on Monday in having nearly two thirds of all viewing.

I think that's quite interesting in terms of dwindling audience across the board compared to the bumper audiences we were used to a couple of decades plus ago.

I saw a tweet from guy who posts about TV ratings which referred to the 5 terrestrial channels having a 'very good day' on Monday in having nearly two thirds of all viewing.

I think that's quite interesting in terms of dwindling audience across the board compared to the bumper audiences we were used to a couple of decades plus ago.

What was ON on Monday?

January 3 - 9

01 The Tourist 8.252m
02 Death In Paradise 8.247m
03 Call The Midwife 7.952m
04 The Apprentice 7.137m
05 Vera 6.569m
06 The Masked Singer 5.911m
07 Green Planet 5.801m
08 Ant & Dec's Limitless Win 5.571m
09 Coronation Street 5.055m
10 BBC News at Six 4.948m
11 Emmerdale 4.944m
12 Around The World In 80 Days 4.836m
13 The Repair Shop 4.578m
14 Four Lives 4.534m
15 Dragons' Den 4.155m
16 Would I Lie To You? 4.058m
17 Celebrity Catchphrase 3.917m
18 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 3.910m
19 FA Cup 2021/22 3.902m
20 EastEnders 3.722m

The figure for The Tourist includes 'pre-transmission viewing' i.e.viewing in this area for the second episode on iPlayer before it was broadcast on 9th January.

I could get quite :david: about this, because figure of 8.252m is composed of only 1.995m who watched the live broadcast. A further approx 6.4m watched on iPlayer - and two thirds of those watched before the broadcast date.

Last edited:
The figure for The Tourist includes 'pre-transmission viewing' i.e.viewing in this area for the second episode on iPlayer before it was broadcast on 9th January.

I could get quite :david: about this, because figure of 8.252m is composed of only 1.995m who watched the live broadcast. A further approx 6.4m watched on iPlayer - and two thirds of those watched before the broadcast date.

Oh wow at those Tourist figures.

Ratings are so confusing these days :(

But if anything, I guess this shows just how much the norm is shifting to streaming services

Glad to see Four Lives in there. I think that has done well on catch up and word of mouth too

Glad to see Four Lives in there. I think that has done well on catch up and word of mouth too
Yes, less than 40% of its viewing was live as well. For dramas particularly they find much more significant audiences after broadcast - or of course before, if they are all made available like The Tourist. Linear viewing is very much dying out.

Interesting to see Coronation Street heading down to 5m as well. I'm surprised more isn't made of the British seemingly falling out of love with soaps.

As I just mentioned the UK falling out of love with soaps, it looks like things are changing.

Apparently ITV are changing to an hour long news programme between 6.30pm and 7.30pm every week night, with Emmerdale airing immediately after. If BBC doesn't change its schedules, that's going to mean soap clashes.

There's also speculation that Coronation Street will move to three hour long episodes weekly.

Last edited:
As I just mentioned the UK falling out of love with soaps, it looks like things are changing.

Apparently ITV are changing to an hour long news programme between 6.30pm and 7.30pm every week night, with Emmerdale airing immediately after. If BBC doesn't change its schedules, that's going to mean soap clashes.

There's also speculation that Coronation Street will move to three hour long episodes weekly.

Coronation Street currently has two 30 minute programmes on a Monday and Wednesday with a half hour break between them and a one hour episode on a Friday. I am assuming they will just run both episodes on a Monday and Wednesday consecutively instead of having a 30 minute programme in between which kind of makes sense.

ITV going to a solid hour and a half of news in the evening seems quite bold, but then ratings for everything else are down I suppose.

ITV going to a solid hour and a half of news in the evening seems quite bold, but then ratings for everything else are down I suppose.

The news is going to be 1.5 hours? :shock: I thought it was going to start half an hour later. SHEESH!

The news is going to be 1.5 hours? :shock: I thought it was going to start half an hour later. SHEESH!
I think Fetch is adding the News At Ten to the new hour show.

Emmerdale's move to 7.30pm every night and Mon/Wed/Fri Coronation Street hour long episodes also confirmed.

I think Fetch is adding the News At Ten to the new hour show.

Emmerdale's move to 7.30pm every night and Mon/Wed/Fri Coronation Street hour long episodes also confirmed.

I meant the local news plus the new extended programme. From the BBC article it sounds like the local news will still be on at 6pm.

I wonder if the BBC would consider bringing EastEnders forward to 7pm, even just on Tuesdays and Thursdays where it's currently on at 7:30?

I wonder if the BBC would consider bringing EastEnders forward to 7pm, even just on Tuesdays and Thursdays where it's currently on at 7:30?

Yes if it stays at the same times then it will clash with Emmerdale on a Tuesday and Thursday. Would it clash with Coronation Street on a Friday? I suppose it doesn’t REALLY matter as most people record and watch at their leisure these days, but they will miss out on a certain demographic who don’t.

Reactions: COB
January 10 - 16

01 The Tourist 8.489m
02 Death In Paradise 7.659m
03 Call The Midwife 7.413m
04 The Apprentice 7.183m
05 Vera 6.829m
06 The Masked Singer 6.309m
07 The Bay 5.522m
08 Emmerdale 5.367m
09 Around The World In 80 Days 5.299m
10 Coronation Street 5.263m
11 The FA Cup 5.094m
12 Dancing On Ice 5.029m
13 BBC News At Six 5.020m
14 Ant and Dec's Limitless Win 4.896m
15 Rules Of The Game 4.480m
16 Celebrity Catchphrase 4.473m
17 The Repair Shop 4.185m
18 Would I Lie To You? 4.149m
19 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 4.057m
20 Dragons' Den 3.889m

Is there a big storyline in Emmerdale at the moment? That's the first time I remember it finishing above Coronation Street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom