UK Charts/ Midweeks 2020

Ellie Goulding drops to number 28!!

Every song in the top 100 aside from that either climbs, is new or is a reentry. Many songs peaking, highest reentry is Old Town Road at no.38.

Ella Henderson back in the top 10 for the first time since 2015 at no.9

@Robbie, do you mind posting the commentary you do at ukmix here? Or do you have any objection to me copying it (and crediting you or anyone else I need to) if you don't?

The soundtracks albums have all been removed from the albums chart, a new crazy rule for whatever reason then? After spending more than 100 weeks in the upper part of the chart, The Greatest Showman soundtrack just disappeared :square:

Ellie Goulding drops to number 28!!

Every song in the top 100 aside from that either climbs, is new or is a reentry. Many songs peaking, highest reentry is Old Town Road at no.38.

The "last week" positions of the Top 10 are wild.

Proof, if it were needed, that Goulding was the beneficiary of clever playlisting. I wonder if she'll release it to other platforms now (if she can?)

They may be better off removing it entirely from amazon and having another go next Christmas.

Just keeping a weekly record:

Date/final chart/sales/streaming

03.01.20/ Own It - Stormzy/ Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi/ Dance Monkey - Tones & I
10.01.20/ Own It - Stormzy/ Dance Monkey - Tones & I/ Dance Monkey - Tones & I
17.01.20/ Own It - Stormzy/ Blinding Lights - The Weeknd/ Dance Monkey - Tones & I
24.01.20/ Godzilla - Eminem/ Blinding Lights - The Weeknd/ Godzilla - Eminem
31.01.20/ Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi/ Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi/ The Box - Roddy Ricch
07.02.20/Blinding Lights - The Weeknd/ Blinding Lights - The Weeknd/ The Box - Roddy Ricch

Last edited:
No change in the top 5 in the first midweeks. Bieber new at #8.

@Robbie, do you mind posting the commentary you do at ukmix here? Or do you have any objection to me copying it (and crediting you or anyone else I need to) if you don't?
I don't mind you copying it here as I copy it from elsewhere anyway! I usually give a credit to Music Week simply because that's where the reports are from but it's not necessary to do so. The same reports are posted by others at other forums and there's usually no credit given.

Dance Monkey at #1 on sales and streaming, falls one place to #6 on overall chart.

What's this #1 on iTunes?

"Come Out Ye Blacks and Tans" by The Wolfe Tones.

I only know because I looked earlier

‘Come Out Ye Black and Tans’ by Irish rebel group The Wolfe Tones has topped both the Irish and UK iTunes charts.

It comes after plans to commemorate the controversial Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) were shelved by the Irish government.

Events to mark 100 years since the start of the RIC were cancelled after critics pointed out that the police division often acted as the British Crown’s enforcers and had a long-standing record of brutality during Ireland’s war of independence.

Constables from the force were often referred to as the ‘Black and Tans’, a nickname which stemmed from the colours of their uniform – a mixture of dark green and khaki.

Key figures from both the RIC and Dublin Metropolitan Police (DMP) were due to be remembered at a ceremony at Dublin Castle on January 17, but the ceremony has now been deferred after a wide public outcry.

Presumably it will end up about #71

From James Masterton's Chart Watch
https://chart-watch.uk/

As predicted last time around, the behaviour of many chart singles this week is due to a unique set of circumstances. A perfect storm of both a dramatically shrunk post-Christmas singles market and increased interest in older hits (due to year-end retrospectives) meant that the threshold for many long-running hit singles to qualify for an automatic reversal of their ACR status was exceptionally low.

The most high profile of these is a single which exactly one year ago was about to start its steady climb to the top of the charts and in the process not only turn its performer into the breakout discovery of the year but establish itself in a short space of time as a modern-day classic. Quite aside from its seven weeks at Number One, Lewis Capaldi's heartfelt ballad Someone You Loved enjoyed a 20-week unbroken run inside the Top 10. It was one which finally came to a crashing halt at the end of June when it could avoid the ACR axe no longer (although it was back for one final hurrah a fortnight later when it doggedly climbed back to Number 10). Following this relegation Someone You Loved spent the second half of the year doggedly refusing to fully go away. In any given week you could locate it hovering around Spotify's ten biggest singles of the moment and occasional spikes in popularity would often see the hit creep back into the Top 20. Only twice during regular play did it fall out of the Top 30 and it was only due to the Christmas quagmire a fortnight ago that it lost the Top 40 status it had enjoyed for almost a full year. Well, now it is back with a bang. An automatic ACR reset sends one of the biggest tracks of 2019 back into the Top 10 with a 15-7 climb, meaning Someone You Loved is occupying its highest chart position since July 11th last year. And here inside the Top 10 it may well remain, for the next three weeks at least or perhaps even longer. Normal ACR rules apply once again and so Someone You Loved is now guaranteed a place amongst the biggest hits of the week until it enjoys three consecutive weeks of slippage in its streaming numbers. And your mum is still enjoying it far too much for this to necessarily happen immediately.

None of the other lucky recipients of the perfect storm manage quite as spectacular a move, but an ACR reset has promoted unexpected chart comebacks for Ride It by Regard (23-11), Bruises by Lewis Capaldi (24-12), Memories by Maroon 5 (21-13), Lose Control by Meduza (31-15), South Of The Border by Ed Sheeran (32-17), Circles by Post Malone (36-19), Highest In The Room by Travis Scott (43-25), I Don't Care by Ed Sheeran (45-27), Senorita by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello (47-30) to name but a few. Basically if a single has made an unexpected and apparently out of nowhere climb this week, that is the sole reason why.

What a load of shit. And that's without considering Tones & I being #1 on sales and streaming, but finishing #6. WHAT DO THE FUCKING CHARTS EVEN SHOW?

Do people like Masterton ever comment on the ridiculousness of the situation?

I'm not sure I've ever seen him be that explicit. He does frequently highlight how sales are frequently hitting record lows and little they matter now, though.

I'm not sure I've ever seen him be that explicit. He does frequently highlight how sales are frequently hitting record lows and little they matter now, though.

Which is fine if you weren’t fannying about with everything else!

On the sales note

Singles sales increase 1.95% week-on-week to 19,219,142, 15.12% above same week 2019 sales of 16,694,212. Paid-for sales are down 15.20% week-on-week at 511,063 – 32.98% below same week 2019 sales of 762,603. It is their lowest level since chart week 9, 2005 (Music Week publication date 12 March 2005) – 775 weeks ago, and before downloads were counted - when they were 523,223. They are below same week, previous year sales for the 336th week in a row.

Overall album sales are down 8.51% week-on-week at 1,766,583, 1.48% below same week 2019 sales of 1,793,106, and their lowest level for 11 weeks. Sales-equivalent streams accounted for 1,243,023 sales, a record 70.36% of the total. Sales of paid-for albums are down 24.75% week-on-week at 523,560, 26.93% below same week 2019 sales of 716,506.

Jeez, they;re depressing. But what else to expect - as I've posted in the HMV thread, prices are being pegged high in the stores and this is going to put people off.

Jeez, they;re depressing. But what else to expect - as I've posted in the HMV thread, prices are being pegged high in the stores and this is going to put people off.

It's no surprise Stormzy climbed to #1 on the back of being a fiver on amazon and in HMV, and he also did a series of in store signings at various HMV stores.

And even then his total equivalent sales were under 24k. And less than 9.5k physical sales.

He was a fiver in HMV?!! I hovered over it at £6.99 on a one-day offer pre-Xmas which was mainly because I wanted to support him after he told the national press to go fuck themselves after the misreporting of his comments on racism in the UK.

After suffering two successive declines in consumption in excess of 40%, Heavy Is The Head increased 45.69% last week to 23,614 units to bring an end to Lewis Capaldi’s fourth run at No.1 with Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent, which dips to No.2 (18,392 sales). Stormzy worked really hard to turn around sales of Heavy Is The Head – in the course of the chart week, he did signing sessions at HMV in Bristol Broadmead, Cardiff and Birmingham, and Banquet in Kingston and turned up in his slippers on BBC Breakfast TV. Furthermore, the album price was reduced to £5.99 on Google, £4.99 on iTunes, £4.99 both digitally and physically at Amazon, and £4.99 physically at HMV

Stormzy doesn’t quite seem to be the chart force that the media furore suggests. I know both of his albums have went to number one, but I don’t think he would be near as successful if he was around maybe 10 years ago with old chart rules. His last 2 number 1 singles have been with Ed Sheeran who as we know can seem to do no wrong right now.

Stormzy doesn’t quite seem to be the chart force that the media furore suggests. I know both of his albums have went to number one, but I don’t think he would be near as successful if he was around maybe 10 years ago with old chart rules. His last 2 number 1 singles have been with Ed Sheeran who as we know can seem to do no wrong right now.
He's heralded as one of the biggest musicians we have, because they need to show diversity. Not that I greatly object, but it's a bit see through.

@Kalabaliken I would just like to clarify that I posted lyrics to a much renowned Stormzy song called Big For Your Boots and I was not bandying around needless insults.

I think Ag meant Shaddup You Face as well

My parents used to have a pub back in Ireland while we were growing up and without one word of a lie an older lady used to come in and her catchphrase was always “Shaddup You Face”, and then the song was released to much bemusement from everyone in the bar apart from her.

God I hated Madness

I mean 95% of the reason is because my brother liked them, but even in retrospect I still dislike them rather a lot.

Let's face it, they had to be the last band you'd have expected on the first page of a topic for the charts in 2020

And now the Welsh Nationalists are getting in on the action. Typing the name of the act and the song feels too much like hard work, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom