UK Charts/ Midweeks 2020

Fun Fact: "Captain Tom" was Frank Zappa's derogatory nickname for David Bowie.

Frank Zappa never had a UK hit.

Meanwhile, Physical sales are so fucked in lockdown that a deluxe edition of Marillion's debut album (from 1983) is at no 7 in the album sales chart.

Meanwhile, Physical sales are so fucked in lockdown that a deluxe edition of Marillion's debut album (from 1983) is at no 7 in the album sales chart.

The thing I find amazing is that streaming hasn't exploded in lockdown.

Yeah oddly it’s downloads that have benefitted. Admittedly there is two charity records in the top five, but digital sales have increased the last three to four weeks and are now at a 51 week high.

Still only delays the inevitable decrease overall but an interesting little quirk.

I suppose people are less likely to pop spotify on at home, than they are to watching Netflix

I know I ask do a lot of my music listening during my commute, which isn’t happening right now

Yeah oddly it’s downloads that have benefitted. Admittedly there is two charity records in the top five, but digital sales have increased the last three to four weeks and are now at a 51 week high.

Still only delays the inevitable decrease overall but an interesting little quirk.

I can only think there may be some transfer for people who are used to paying for physical product, who can get their head around paying for downloads (i.e.they prefer to own their music), but who haven't embraced streaming yet.

Like you say though, an interesting blip of no real significance in the great scheme of things.

I'm listening to more music than I have in years (via streaming), but that's because I've taken to going on very long (solo, socially distanced) walks every evening to keep myself sane.

Podcasts are definitely taking a hit across the board, as that's classic commuter fare.

Artists are specifically asking their fans to buy things instead of streaming them and it does seem that there has been some response to that. Bandcamp are doing another no-fees day Friday coming (1st May) - they usually experience 47,000 purchases on a Friday, on the last one they sold 800,000. And, no, I haven't added an extra zero there in error. There's a breed of listener who streamed but bought merch and gig tickets who understand they have to do things "the old way" for a bit. It's a pity there aren't more of them.

Vera Lynn in at #58. She is 103.

I hope she hurries up and does that BBC Breakfast promo and drops the remix set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom