UK Charts/ Midweeks 2021

It's mad to me that 30 million+ people watched the football yesterday, bloody Three Lions was INESCAPABLE EVERYWHERE, and yet Ed Sheeran still had over 200k more streams. How does that happen?

It was only 100k behind when you add the multiple versions together but those figures were for Saturday.

If you look at Sunday's figures they're over 1million ahead of Ed Sheeran

Any word on how the new Anne Marie album is doing? Her career trajectory interests me as I don’t see any longevity in it for some reason but she seems to have been stacking up the hits recently.

Any word on how the new Anne Marie album is doing? Her career trajectory interests me as I don’t see any longevity in it for some reason but she seems to have been stacking up the hits recently.
#2 in the midweek update.

#2 in the midweek update.
She's at 10.1k sales, #3 being Olivia Rodrigo with 4.1k. Anne Marie is going to be more front loaded, so we'll see if she holds #2. Rodrigo sold just under 14k last week, and I doubt she'll drop that much this week. Paul McCartney is at #4 with 3.1k though and he's going to be frontloaded as well, so I don't think she'll fall out the top three.

Last edited:
I dunno who ordered a Paul McCartney remix album but they can take it outside. No ta.

I’d say Anne Marie should be fine for number two, given she has two singles floating top 40 on streaming. But as Lolly says, top three is a lock. Which I think is good for her - he song with Niall is a bit of a genuine hit but not like she used to get, so it does feel a bit like she has been treading water a bit.

Weds update

1 Dave - We're All Alone In This Together (45.1k)
2 Anne-Marie - Therapy (14.5k)
3 Olivia Rodrigo - Sour (7.6k)

I noticed the Anne-Marie album was a fiver on Amazon the other day, so not even a late in release week discount.

This will be the 2nd number 1 album for Dave and I still don’t think I have heard a single song by him? I am officially old and out of touch. :(

Anne Marie just seems very throwaway to me. She is maybe just waiting on that individual hit to throw her in to the stratosphere but the only song that comes straight to mind when I think of her is Rockabye.

her song FRIENDS with Marshmello and then 2002 were both huge! she just doesn't have anything special to make any momentum stick. she's as good as her last song and she feels laser-focus grouped in an off-putting way.

I do have occasional use for Ciao Adios, but...

I really liked her on The Voice, and she can sing but yes there seems to be something missing, and that to me is half decent material ALTHOUGH her new song with Little Mix is great.

I think she seems fabulous herself and really charismatic. I just don’t rate the tunes outside of a couple.

She’s an artist that I knew mostly through TikTok, so…

she might be alright but 2002 was fucking ROTTED

yeah add the awful Doja Cat collab To Be Young, she seems to have a lot going on for years now on SO LITTLE. Lucky bitch.

Music Week

Back to the artists chart and some sympathies are due for Anne-Marie, who picked an awkward week for the release of her second album Therapy. Putting in what is by any standards an impressive showing, it can still only be a distant No.2. Still, easily the best of the rest, the album manages a chart sale of 18,260 to take second place for the week, slightly down on the 20,342 with which her debut Speak Your Mind opened in 2018.

(Olivia Rodrigo just under 13k)

Do we have a general 'old farts moan about streaming thread'? Probably quite a few where it's happened, but I'll leave this here, copied from ukmix, which yet further underlines the ridiculousness of 'sales' in the streaming age.

A procedural oddity means there's a curious swapping of chart-eligible Whitney Houston hits collections. Streams of the late singer's hits have been switched away from 2007's Ultimate Collection and are now being attributed to the previously little-noticed 2012 release I Will Always Love You - The Best Of. It means the former (last week's No.42 album) vanishes from sight after being a near-constant chart presence for the last two and a half years. Instead the 2012 collection re-enters at No.39 registering 1,904 sales of which all but 20 are attributable to calculated streams, the album's highest chart position since it charted at No.29 when first released.

I don't know what 'procedural oddity' means, but if you look at Spotify, the first Whitney compilation listed is the recharting I Will Always Love You - The Best Of, but it has a 2021 release date. Obviously the label have decided to push that instead, for whatever reason.

The tracklist has been updated slightly (Higher Love added, R. Kelly duet version of I Look To You swapped for the original) which may explain the new release date

The tracklist has been updated slightly (Higher Love added, R. Kelly duet version of I Look To You swapped for the original) which may explain the new release date
Apparently it is also being released on vinyl soon as well, which I assume it wasn't originally.

Higher Love must be one of her biggest streaming hits so I guess the label is going to want to make those streams count towards an album. The chart manipulation doesn't sit well, though.

This seems to be a goal now - to have one of those GH albums that sits in the chart forever via streams. The net result is that albums that are actually selling get lower chart positions, which lowers the profile those albums which leads to further stagnation.

Not that anything is really selling, but it is all relative.

I do agree though - and I think another argument to justify some sort of heritage or catalogue chart for albums over a certain age.

How’s the hideous one doing on albums, is he going to outsell Coldplay? I assume yes but they had such a big start he must be doing huge numbers

War On Drugs midweek #5 though! Didn’t see that coming, how nice.

How’s the hideous one doing on albums, is he going to outsell Coldplay? I assume yes but they had such a big start he must be doing huge numbers
From ukmix yesterday

84,178 - Missing Data: Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube (all for Sunday) and HMV (for Friday)

I can’t stand him but that’s some old school midweek numbers there :disco:

Abba will topple that figure next week. But everyone is just waiting to see what Adele manages in a few weeks.

Maybe if it wasn't £28 quid for a double CD, they might have sold a few more...but then, maybe the calculation is that it would only sell to loons anyway, so they might as well keep the price up.

I haven't bought it yet because I was hoping the price would go down eventually :D :(

There's also the 5 different vinyl editions...no wait, 6! The 5 individual ones for each member and the picture disc. Selling like cold cakes in the fucking Arctic.

Not strictly 'midweek' related but I note Halloween playlists now have a chart impact with Ghostbusters and Thriller back in the top 40 and a few others scattered elsewhere (Monster Mash just misses out at 41).

Also 'SPICE25' finished at #5, #4 on pure sales.

Ed sold ("shifted") 139k in the end, and he's 2, 3 and 4 in the singles chart. still dominant, but definitely on the wane. :disco:

this is karma because he dared voice out loud that he wants to be bigger than Adele. the universe doesn't forget. :horny:

I did think it was interesting that he's at 2, 3 and 4 the week of release and not #1. But, for all I know, his excluded songs could dominate the top 20 again. But it stood out that he didn't topple Adele.

I did think it was interesting that he's at 2, 3 and 4 the week of release and not #1. But, for all I know, his excluded songs could dominate the top 20 again. But it stood out that he didn't topple Adele.
I think there's some rule now that stops this from happening. They brought it in after Divide took up 16 places out of the top 20.

I think there's some rule now that stops this from happening. They brought it in after Divide took up 16 places out of the top 20.

Yes, that's what I meant by his excluded songs - the rest of the album would undoubtedly have enough streams to chart but because of the rule that was created because of Sheeran, we can't compare the impact.

From Robbie on ukmix

Tracks from Ed Sheeran's new album don't dominate the charts in quite the same way they did for Divide. In addition to 3 of the top 4 he would also have had 4 of the top 12, 6 of the top 20 and 12 of the top 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom