UK holidays

D5K

Here to stay
Where would anyone recommend for a week-long break in the UK? I haven't done much travelling within the UK but it seems like that might be the only option in the next few months.

I loved being a tourist in Scotland. We did Edinburgh, Glasgow and Oban over about 5 days. If I had longer I'd have done a tour of the Highlands.

I could not recommend Oban more, picturesque coastal town, with access to ferries going to Mull, Skye etc.

Haven't even heard of Oban so that's an interesting option to check out!

It's probably not a week long holiday in itself, but as a base for exploring the Isles and probably even the Highlands it was perfect.

Oh the Highlands is defo on my list of places to visit once the kids are older! The jurassic coast is also quite nice, and we've had nice time away in the Lake/Peak District too

Scottish Islands or Highlands? Or the Wild Atlantic Way if you can cross into Ireland.

We have relatives who live on Skye. I’ve not been in YEARS but it’s GORGEOUS.

Jurassic Coast is on my list too but I suspect it'll be manic over the summer.

Oban. CUTE!

oban-from-bay

Where would anyone recommend for a week-long break in the UK? I haven't done much travelling within the UK but it seems like that might be the only option in the next few months.

Are you into walking? If so, Wales :disco:

Also Lake and Peak Districts of course.

Cornwall and Devon are fantastique too.

Cornwall would be manic this summer though - unless you go a bit further out like maybe St Ives etc. rather than the usual areas.

Also with Wales I'm not sure what the situation will be with their lockdown but I'm planning a week in Snowdonia.

I can vouch for Oban too. Rent a car in Glasgow and you can go around Western Scotland with Oban as your base. Fort William, Ben Nevis etc. All wonderful.

Or you could go to Ireland too, there are no restrictions to travel there for people in the UK.

I only saw Loch Lomond from a coach traveling from Glasgow to Oban, but I was OBSESSED. The sheer drops of the hills, by the edge of the Loch was BREATHTAKING SHIT.

Cornwall would be manic this summer though - unless you go a bit further out like maybe St Ives etc. rather than the usual areas.

I always thought St Ives was one of the busiest! Mostly because it's tiny but so popular. I actually didn't enjoy it last time I went (just a day trip) because it was throngs of tightly packed people shuffling slowly up the lovely streets and around the harbour. Really beautiful but made it hard to appreciate.

Cornwall is wonderful though. One place we did stay once was on the south coast, the Roseland Peninsula, you can't really describe it as off the beaten track because everywhere in Cornwall is popular, which is intensified by everything being tiny, but it seemed a lot calmer and less obvious than most places. The usual array of stunning villages, harbours, walks, beaches etc, so you can't go wrong. Much less touristy was the impression I got, but only relative to Cornwall..

Unless something specific has been drawn up with Covid, which I doubt due to current Brexit sensitivities, the UK and Ireland have been part of the Common Travel Area since 1922, meaning you don't even legally need a passport to travel from one country to another if you're British or Irish. Some airlines may ask you for a passport but you could just as well travel to Belfast, which is within the UK and then simply travel South. As I think EVERYONE IN EUROPE now knows there isn't a border between Northern Ireland and Ireland.

I went from Dublin to Wales (by boat :D) and nobody checked any form of my ID at all

I mean you will have to comply with Covid regulations either side and I imagine they will ask you to isolate when you come back etc (although again if you travel in and out of Belfast how will they know :eyes:). But the UK is never going to close free travel with Ireland because of the tinderbox that would ignite.

Unless something specific has been drawn up with Covid, which I doubt due to current Brexit sensitivities, the UK and Ireland have been part of the Common Travel Area since 1922, meaning you don't even legally need a passport to travel from one country to another if you're British or Irish. Some airlines may ask you for a passport but you could just as well travel to Belfast, which is within the UK and then simply travel South. As I think EVERYONE IN EUROPE now knows there isn't a border between Northern Ireland and Ireland.
You can't travel outside England to anywhere (including Scotland and Wales) at the moment. I don't think Ireland is any different.

I’d recommend Forest of Dean/Wye Valley was so lucky growing up with them nearby. Is a lot less overrun by tourists than Cotswolds

I’d recommend Forest of Dean/Wye Valley was so lucky growing up with them nearby. Is a lot less overrun by tourists than Cotswolds

Oooh yes! I was only saying the other day how much I want to go back to visit, growing up near there. The whole place is magical

Oooh yes! I was only saying the other day how much I want to go back to visit, growing up near there. The whole place is magical
I’ve got an AirBnB booked near Symonds Yat in a couple of weeks ! Seeing as I can’t stay atmy parents I thought I may as well stay somewhere nice not too far away and can meet up for walks :disco:

Oh and for anyone who doesn’t know the Netflix series Sex Education was filmed in that area :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom