UK...NIL POINTS

I do think people (and I'm just as guilty of this sometimes) are a little too quick to think that the solution is just sending someone big. Who would have said 'oh, they just need to send Salvador/Netta/Duncan Laurence/Daði Freyr/Måneskin' the year prior for any of the countries that have won recently?

I don't get all this "let's send X", we are getting it here too. The most important thing is a great song, then someone with some charisma that can sing, famous or not.

I don't get all this "let's send X", we are getting it here too. The most important thing is a great song, then someone with some charisma that can sing, famous or not.
I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive. We know you don’t need an established star (you need the full package) but in the UK we have lots of stars (of varying magnitude) so at least seeing if anybody is up for the challenge with full creative control is worth considering.

It certainly seems the BBC get offers, but nothing comes to fruition (Little Boots is hardly a high profile act these days, but she can write and perform a good pop song and had apparently asked several times to be involved).

It’s also quite odd that this was supposed to be some sort of new dawn in and of itself - the management of the process by BMG - yet we have actually gone backwards. I’d be interested to see what was offered by the label versus what the BBC plumped for.

Quite. When the standard is as incredibly high as it is now, you can do all of that and still fall flat on your face.

What is mildly amusing is the idea that if we did pull out all the stops then we might be in some form of ‘danger’ of winning and having to host when in reality the more realistic danger is that we might be able to finish 9th or something. Winning is an extraordinary accomplishment - it doesn’t just fall in your lap because you deigned to make an effort (I appreciate nobody here needs to be told that).

I wonder how many of this year's entries would have won 2011 at a canter.
Also, same question but flipped, where would Eli and Nikki have finished in 2021?

It was nice to see that their delivery of the Azerbaijani jury vote, on the 10th anniversary of their win, inspired precisely no nostalgic feelings in anybody.

Running Scared wouldn't have even been left-hand side on Saturday. And I said it was 2011's winner the first time I heard it!

Although the above is probably a function of how rote that kind of entry is now after a decade of it.

I know for a fact that RTVE doesn't wanna win, so they send anthing average to make sure they don't have to go through a year of hard work. Do you think that could be the case of the BBC, or they are just useless?

I know for a fact that RTVE doesn't wanna win, so they send anthing average to make sure they don't have to go through a year of hard work. Do you think that could be the case of the BBC, or they are just useless?

I can’t see it really, the BBC have many critics now, I think hosting an international event like Eurovision would look really good for them, they must realise that.

I would love us to have to host it and eat total shit talking about bringing Europe together :eyes:

(at a presumption for where things will be at by the 2030s, given the current rate the slogans are getting gayer by)

I actually think RAK SU would be top of my list to ask to represent the UK next year.
- Not massively known, but enough performance experience not to BOMB IT live, and are known in particular for charismatic live shows.
- Likely to submit a song that's somewhat representative of the UK music scene, albeit a much much poppier version.
- Myles would be likely to set Twitter thirst ABLAZE:
2_EMB-MAIN-IAC.jpg

I'd be up for that. They probably think they're too cool for it even though they're not, but perhaps at something of a career LULL where they might give it some consideration

They were great on the X Factor at creating standout PERFs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom