UK...NIL POINTS

nathan fillion castle GIF

Organisational revamp is actually what's needed.

The UKs ESC mishandling runs so deep that there's no way the current organisation could suddenly wake up and turn things around. Melodifestivalen did their organisational shake up in 2001-2002 and it already started to pay off within a year or two.

Here's a few things BBC have been unable to accomplish:
- Create a way for credible song writers to make an income from the UK Eurovision participation.
- Build up a network of music labels seeing participation as an way to positively showcase their artists.
- Likewise convincing artists that ESC and possibly 'You Decide' is a credible venue for showcasing new music.

The music sector isn't that picky in general and usually goes with 'any publicity is good publicity'. That the BBC has managed to completely mishandle the worlds most popular TV-format to the point that an entire industry is actively avoiding participation is nothing but spectacular :disco:

Last edited:
We just need a half decent song (that stands out) sung by someone who won’t shit themselves on stage.

Some more suggestions I'd consider are:
Charlie XCX
Gabrielle
Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Melanie C
KT Tunstall
Clare Maguire
Jessie Ware
Alexandra Burke

Last edited:
What about classically trained singers? Hear me out....

We always go on about how the entry being contemporary and modern is important, but whats more important is QUALITY. I mean it's not like France outside of Eurovision would have found it's way into Spotify playlists across the globe in 2021, but in the context of Eurovision she was an amazing vocalist who gave the perfomance of her life and knocked it out of the Park, in a language that not everyone speaks - and she very nearly won.

Hell, send something in Welsh, theres nothing to lose anymore!

Haven't the X Factor alumni always done semi-well, besides Andy?

Send Rachel Adedeji.

Clare Maguire nearly drank herself to death due to the stress of releasing and promoting her first album, I dread to think what the UK Eurovision experience would do to her :(

In an alternate reality, we did much better. We even got 12 points from Carola and the Ja Ja Ding Dong guy:

Televote fucked us over though:

I’ve just come out of Six The Musical, and every single song would have worked better than what we sent. And every single one of the performers too.

Send them.

I do think people (and I'm just as guilty of this sometimes) are a little too quick to think that the solution is just sending someone big. Who would have said 'oh, they just need to send Salvador/Netta/Duncan Laurence/Daði Freyr/Måneskin' the year prior for any of the countries that have won recently?

I don’t think most of us are trying for a win here. We’re just trying to get us to a respectable top 10 placing at least.

I don’t think most of us are trying for a win here. We’re just trying to get us to a respectable top 10 placing at least.
Well substitute out for most of the prior nobodies countries have ended up getting respectable top 10s with lately then!

Another would be Wes Nelson. Again I’m sure will go down badly here. But he’s hot, modern, and a little bit cheesy and seems up for a laugh tbh.

Another would be Wes Nelson. Again I’m sure will go down badly here. But he’s hot, modern, and a little bit cheesy and seems up for a laugh tbh.
Tom Zanetti feat. Wes Nelson would be the ultimate combination of hot, cheesy shit that may go down well.

Instresting... UK got 0.49% of the Italian vote!

• Love
Reactions: Hak
Instresting... UK got 0.49% of the Italian vote!

A reminder that this really shouldn't be that hard - all you have to do is get one in twenty voters to go 'that one's the best' and pick up the phones ffs!

Has anyone thrown Hurts into the ring?

Past their prime but you could do worse than e.g. a "Sunday" rewrite.

I seem to remember they put themselves forward a few years back and the BBC said thanks but no thanks.

Yes...really.

Wasn't that the ENGELBERT YEAR? They were sort of biggish in (selected parts of) Europe then too, weren't they?

If the singles from their last album are anything to go by I don't think Hurts now would be that much of an upgrade.

Wasn't that the ENGELBERT YEAR? They were sort of biggish in (selected parts of) Europe then too, weren't they?

If the singles from their last album are anything to go by I don't think Hurts now would be that much of an upgrade.
It was around that time I believe.

I don't think anything on their last album would have been much of an upgrade, but certainly back then they would have been a pretty great shout all things considered, but no..the Beeb wanted ENGELBERT.

Does anyone a little more in the know (@VoR / @Pingu) know what the fuck was going on with the BBC's rationale rejecting all these offers between 2010 and 2013? Were they just always holding out for someone bigger and being stupid enough to reject offers as they came rather than holding onto them in the event they were left with, well, Engelbert, or was it something else?

Does anyone a little more in the know (@VoR / @Pingu) know what the fuck was going on with the BBC's rationale rejecting all these offers between 2010 and 2013? Were they just always holding out for someone bigger and being stupid enough to reject offers as they came rather than holding onto them in the event they were left with, well, Engelbert, or was it something else?
I don’t KNOW exactly, but I would imagine that anybody who says “Pixie Lott approached the BBC with a great song and they said no and went with Engelbert Humperdinck instead” is vastly oversimplifying things.

What seems more likely is that the BBC put down so much red tape and there were so many record label clashes and conditions around airplay and promotion that it became an unappealing/impossible prospect for any current artist who may have been interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom