United Kingdom 2021: James Newman - Embers

Please say we're at least getting a couple of dancers? The only highlight of the song shouldn't be adorned by him smugly looking around.

Actually I'm dissociationing from it being our entry.

Completely in line with the "I guess that'll do" vibe around our entry this year.

It was for a BBC Three late night show for the cool kids, so the laid back vibe makes sense. I'm SURE it will be more polished and FunForEurope on the night. I'm SURE HUNS.

We've seen him sing live before and he is way more competent than that. I'm holding out hope!

#Hull2022

Yeah I think the only points will be the ones that make up 90% of his choreo.

then just sort of lolloping like some sad space hopper

It was for a BBC Three late night show for the cool kids, so the laid back vibe makes sense. I'm SURE it will be more polished and FunForEurope on the night. I'm SURE HUNS.

We've seen him sing live before and he is way more competent than that. I'm holding out hope!

#Hull2022
@Tisch, don’t you understand that this one performance absolutely, definitively represents what it will look like on a much bigger stage with a much higher budget? This one, televised performance makes us an international embarrassment because every other contestant does theirs with full Eurovision staging on every minor TV show they’re booked to appear on!

Or people could just yet again be feeding into the narrative that the UK is hopeless despite our song this year being anything but.

Oh I can’t wait to see BT’s face when we crash out bottom five again.

The song is basic. He is the purveyor of absolutely nothing. Obviously the staging is an unknown quantity, but I don't have hope.

I mean, of course we’re probably finishing bottom 5 but the reaction to that performance is a SLIGHT overreaction.

It’s not like our hopes were hinging on his make-or-break appearance on Saturday Mash-Up.

The few snippets we had of last year's staging did sound promising and more interesting than we usually do; hopefully the same thought has gone into it this year.

I mean, of course we’re probably finishing bottom 5 but the reaction to that performance is a SLIGHT overreaction.

It’s not like our hopes were hinging on his make-or-break appearance on Saturday Mash-Up.
Gays in overreaction SHOCKER.
I can’t even muster up the interest to even watch it myself

If he comes bottom five he comes bottom five, but ok song quality alone that won’t be deserved and I’m not about to write him off after one performance when I saw him perform it better earlier in the week.

If he comes bottom five he comes bottom five, but ok song quality alone that won’t be deserved and I’m not about to write him off after one performance when I saw him perform it better earlier in the week.
Yeah I agree on that song probably won’t be among the five worst of the night. But then, like all our songs since 2016, it’s just FINE. Not the best, not the worst, just a palette cleanser before something interesting.

We’ll just be hoping for a random smattering of jury votes before inevitably crashing out in the televote with pity points from Ireland, Australia and Malta. It’s what happens when you’re everyones fifteen favourite.

Twelve months later the cycle will repeat.

From a sneak peak of rehearsals on the BBC’s Instagram, it looks like he’s going to be singing this a semitone down from the studio version, with a female backing vocalist singing the melody live along with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom