United Kingdom 2021: James Newman - Embers

Has a country ever finished last three times in a row? Maybe we could break that record next year :disco:

Has a country ever finished last three times in a row? Maybe we could break that record next year :disco:
We haven't reached the top 20 in the last 6 years :D that has to be a record, and we'll make sure to extend it to make it impossible to beat :disco:

We haven't reached the top 20 in the last 6 years :D that has to be a record, and we'll make sure to extend it to make it impossible to beat :disco:
Maybe the UK and Spain can hit the HEIGHTS of 14th and 15th place next year :disco:

Oh come on, surely something has to give next year? The reaction felt different, even if the BBC seemed initially as ‘whoops lol’ and ‘it got a great reaction in the arena’ as ever.

I don't have any expectation that things will get better next year, but I expect the team will change. By all accounts our HoD Lee Smithurst is a genuine fan and I'm sure he tried his best, but there's no way they can justify not letting him go after that result, if only to make it appear as though they actually give a monkeys about the annual humiliation of it all.

I’d absolutely take a cold hard head (who isn’t even a fan) than an incompetent enthusiast.

I don't have any expectation that things will get better next year, but I expect the team will change. By all accounts our HoD Lee Smithurst is a genuine fan and I'm sure he tried his best, but there's no way they can justify not letting him go after that result, if only to make it appear as though they actually give a monkeys about the annual humiliation of it all.
How long has he been in?

In a way I'd prefer that. Somebody with no preconceived notions of the contest is less likely to go down the Fun4Europe route.
Yes. Or just a delegation who didn’t think a song of the standard of Embers (coupled with that level of live performance) was anything beyond vaguely phoning it in. I think I said earlier, but going backwards on 2019 really took some spectacular incompetence.

Obviously relatively we went backwards, but I think we genuinely did go forwards this year vs. 2019 - the problem is that everyone else practically leapt forwards.

It doesn't really bear much thinking about given we're talking about a left-hand side placing at best, but I do wonder what might have been had 2020 gone ahead, given how shoddy the quality was overall compared with this year and 2019.

It was a limited audience, but the televote on Sweden's replacement show giving us 6 points (from the 2nd slot!) is, I think, a potential sign that last year wouldn't have been a total disaster had the show gone ahead (and that opting for a banger this year rather than something batting at the relatively clear Ed Sheeran-pop type lane was a big mistake)

Last edited:
Obviously relatively we went backwards, but I think we genuinely did go forwards this year vs. 2019 - the problem is that everyone else practically leapt forwards.
Good point. Do we need to poach a delegation?

034CDB02-3A4D-4546-AFA1-A80B75E04C91.gif

It doesn't really bear much thinking about given we're talking about a left-hand side placing at best, but I do wonder what might have been had 2020 gone ahead, given how shoddy the quality was overall compared with this year and 2019.

It was a limited audience, but the televote on Sweden's replacement show giving us 6 points (from the 2nd slot!) is, I think, a potential sign that last year wouldn't have been a total disaster had the show gone ahead (and that opting for a banger this year rather than a relatively clear Ed Sheeran-pop type lane was a big mistake)
Agreed. There is no way to know for sure, but I do think ‘My Last Breath’ would have done better (if not spectacularly so). EDIT: It couldn’t have done worse!

The MOR theme wasn’t to everybody’s taste but it is a better song than Embers, had a more memorable hook and was at least vaguely rousing. How he would have performed it live, is another matter.

I presume he would have been stood on top of some sort of LED BOX

I'm not sure the Embers was an inherently bad song. With more contempory production, staging which made at least some effort and a more charismatic, better looking performer who could actually sing the song properly, it might have managed 19th.

It wasn’t a bad song, just a forgettable one (that might be worse, to be making an apparent effort and still failing awfully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom