United Kingdom 2022: Sam Ryder - SPACE MAN

WHADDYA THINK?

• Total voters
I don't dislike Sam, but I really do not need to see another photo of him grinning inanely or holding two fingers up. Ever.
It's definitely recovery behaviour

SO GRATEFUL TO BE HERE! CERTAINLY WOULDN'T RATHER BE PISSED SILLY AT HOME WATCHING FIRST DATES! IF YOU'RE A NEWBIE, GRAB A BISCUIT AND A SPONSOR! :zombie::rolleyes::zombie:

The "slightly" wild eyes and tattoos tell a million stories, all of which he's choosing to omit for some reason

Anyway, for the avoidance of doubt, I think he's probably a very nice man and I will be forever grateful for that very exciting run of 12s after all our years of torment and shame :disco:

Someone I think is being pointlessly passive-aggressive and shutting down the option of further conversation by not even naming who they're REFERRING TO!

Sorry darling I thought it was the trend to post so vaguely you almost needn’t have posted at all!

More spicy tidbits please about Sam’s time on the SKAG!

Last edited:
It's a public forum you desperate loons. I wish I'd never alluded to anything. And no, I don't know anything about his personal habits.

Last edited:
And a public forum which is quite close to the top of the list when you Google ‘Sam Ryder forum’, as well.

In conclusion, no reason to believe in any sort of unsavoury past. Every reason to believe that a stint as the lead in a production of ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ may be in the future.

With that much shortened sales period before Christmas with the delay, and now this promo, they are probably hoping for the album to explode in the softer new year market, aren't they?

And at bagging a Brit nomination or two, possibly.

I suspect had any of the post Spaceman singles gained a bit more traction they would have gone ahead with the album release has planned. But given the apparent lack of interest, they have moved to a Plan B.

The new one has been sitting in the iTunes top 5 since his Strictly performance, for whatever that's worth.

He is the type who fits perfectly onto light entertainment bookings, which will probably keep him in good stead for a few years even if the album doesn't sell.

I mean, obviously I'd MUCH rather this than them not bothering with him at all post-Eurovision, but how long do we think it will be before the masses realise how hard the BBC are pushing to make him a thing despite having no actual success? I do wonder if this New Year's gig might be the tipping point.

I'm assuming they got a job lot on Sam bookings. They booked Years & Years last year and nobody has listened to them by choice for the best part of a decade, so I assume the Beeb's popstar budget is depleted :(

He needs to accidentally destroy one of the stage props and then turn to the camera and say “I didn’t do it”

Didn't the two singles which flopped both make the itunes top 5? I think Somebody may have briefly been #1, yet fail to break the actual top 75.

What is success, these days though?

In terms of turning him into a top 40 chart star, it clearly doesn't seem to be working. But that's such a narrow field these days with the charts being what they are.

I think people broadly like him, and he fits well into a variety of light entertainment formats. Radio 2 will probably happily keep playing his songs for the foreseeable, and if the album doesn't sell I can imagine him segueing more into TV and stage work and still maintaining a reasonably high profile. We'll probably see him on Strictly as a contestant in the next few years.

It'll be interesting to see how the New Year's thing performs in the ratings, since it's very much being built around him.

Reactions: GNL
His last single being such a complete nothing song probably didn't help. It's failing the VoR hum test™ even now.

The new one has a bit more about it, but I think his voice would be a bit much for me over the course of a full album.

I think it is true that the measure of success is different now. And 'the singles chart doesn't mean anything any more' narrative is stronger than ever now, with articles in the last couple of weeks with the chart's 70th birthday.

Perhaps the BBC can hoodwink the public into believing he's a big star and have him performing cover versions (like on Strictly) in place of actual hits.

I do think it may prove harder if his album tanks, though. If he can get a moderately successful album out of it, then lack of hits shouldn't be too big a problem to overcome.

I mean, obviously I'd MUCH rather this than them not bothering with him at all post-Eurovision, but how long do we think it will be before the masses realise how hard the BBC are pushing to make him a thing despite having no actual success? I do wonder if this New Year's gig might be the tipping point.
I doubt it, for some time at least. One big single tends to be enough to get away with it for a while these days I suspect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom