Veganism is a protected philosophical belief

Oh I'm not saying it didn't TASTE NICE

It just used to lead to MINDBENDING STOMACH CRAMPS. Particularly during GERMAN LESSONS for SOME REASON

Has anyone tried the Co-Op's plant based 'Gro' range yet? I picked up some beet burgers and meat ball things earlier. I figured as both of those will be in meals with a lot of other strong flavours, it's a good place to start.

I had their Mighty Meaty balls tonight, and they were really nice with a simple tomato, onion, garlic and thyme sauce.

I did initially think that weren't cheap (more expensive than beef or pork mince, certainly), but then co-op rarely is, and it's probably more of a reflection on how cheap dead animal is than anything else.

I made bolognaise with this from Aldi tonight (the one on the left). On its own I thought it was a bit bland, but I threw some vegan worcester sauce in and a bit of olive oil into the pasta and it came up trumps. Stupidly low in calories- 56 for half the pack.

aldi_vegan_mince_vfl.jpg

Just had a brunch with vegan black pudding on and it was fucking lovely. I need to find it/buy it as black pudding is something I'm really missing, more than bacon.

Just had a Subway Meatless marinara. It was fine. Although I realised while eating it that I've never had the meatball one to be able to compare it.

And now we've just had Co-Op's beet burgers, and they were delicious. They do have a beet taste, but not massively strong. The main ingredients are beet, chick peas and seitan, and I have to say I am quite impressed with the texture of seitan as a meat substitute.

With these and my love for a slow fried field mushroom in a burger, I think I could quite happily never eat a beefburger again.

Just had a Subway Meatless marinara. It was fine. Although I realised while eating it that I've never had the meatball one to be able to compare it.

I took my "once every 5 years" trip to Subway last week for this and yes, it was ok. I hate Subway generally, but the new bread choices perked this up and I quite enjoyed the sandwich. Obviously still tastes nothing like meat, though, despite what the ridiculous advert for it at the cinema says....

In other news, my brief attempt at going a bit more vegan has fallen by the wayside, with only soy yogurt left to remember it by, but that's ok. I haven't touched meat this year now, which I think is my longest period without at about 6 weeks. I don't feel remotely interested in trying again either, which is interesting and a big change from last time. Indeed, chicken wings are my favourite foodstuff in the world but I saw someone eating them yesterday and it turned my stomach a bit watching all the flesh pull apart. Maybe this is a turning point, we'll see...

I’m a long-term vegetarian who is incapable of giving up cheese, eggs and yoghurt as I’ve realised the happiness they bring to me has more value to my life than the absolute minute iota of difference I would (not) make by giving them up.

I know dairy is just as evil as actual flesh but I’m choosing to turn a blind eye to it all :D

I am however at the point where I find extended sections of meat preparation/cooking on TV borderline offensive :D i wish netflix would introduced a meat-free thumbnail system as I entirely HATE seeing it.

Learned recently that my belief that fake milk doesn't go bad, was unfounded. Goes bad pretty quickly. Is there UHT fake milk? Back on good old UHT cow's milk for now.

I was quite disappointed in my meatless marinara that I ordered at 1am on Sunday morning.

Learned recently that my belief that fake milk doesn't go bad, was unfounded. Goes bad pretty quickly. Is there UHT fake milk? Back on good old UHT cow's milk for now.

There is long life fake milk. I’ve got an open almond milk which is about two weeks’ old and is absolutely fine. It definitely lasts longer.

Mum wanted to go to a Chinese buffet place for lunch today and I (reluctantly) agreed. Took a posh looking fish goujon, as it was labelled, and it turned out to be southern fried chicken. My first meat I’ve eaten all year (I’d swallowed half before I realised...)

I’m furious. The place also couldn’t give a shit. I wouldn’t have been pleased whatever, but an apology and I wouldn’t be fuming- I’m not that kind of person. 1 star tripadvisor review incoming now though. UGH!

We had lunch out. I decided to stick to my 'no meat or fish while eating out' rule, and for the first time felt a bit as if I missed out. My own fault really - I chose a wild mushroom risotto, which although was a very nice risotto, it is just a risotto, and probably not that much nicer than one I would make myself. Must be a little more adventurous next time.

Mum wanted to go to a Chinese buffet place for lunch today and I (reluctantly) agreed. Took a posh looking fish goujon, as it was labelled, and it turned out to be southern fried chicken.

The thing is, mislabelled stuff is a nightmare for people with allergies; what they;d got that the other way around and someone with a seafood allergy had picked up the "chicken" goujon? They could have been in really serious trouble. So absolutely complain.

I had a vegan New Yorker sub the other day. The cheese is so problematic.

Reactions: GNL
We had lunch out. I decided to stick to my 'no meat or fish while eating out' rule, and for the first time felt a bit as if I missed out. My own fault really - I chose a wild mushroom risotto, which although was a very nice risotto, it is just a risotto, and probably not that much nicer than one I would make myself. Must be a little more adventurous next time.

I think your last sentence sums it up. I've found there's some great veggie stuff out there, but you need to look beyond the boring veggie staples...

The thing is, mislabelled stuff is a nightmare for people with allergies; what they;d got that the other way around and someone with a seafood allergy had picked up the "chicken" goujon? They could have been in really serious trouble. So absolutely complain.

Abso-fucking-lutely! But no one gave a fuck. I guess the place wasn't exactly the kind where you'd expect them to, but STILL...

I think your last sentence sums it up. I've found there's some great veggie stuff out there, but you need to look beyond the boring veggie staples...

We were eating off a set menu, so my choice was limited - but there were still three veggie choices, of which the other two were also vegan. In itself I guess that shows how things have improved.

It's just that I still cannot be doing with aubergines.

I have a meatball marinara about once a year, and that’s reserved only for my very worst hangover of the year. In those particular circumstances I’ve always found it to be PURE BLISS. I imagine it’s actually quite disgusting though, like when you eat McNuggets sober.

A lot of fast food is like this - it requires a mindset, a suspension of normal values and this only truly arrives for must of us when heroically drunk or suffering for it the following day.

In my younger, meat-eating days, I remember having a kebab sober for the first time and it was fucking vile.

I was given some vegan cheese yesterday. It's unspeakably grim. Wrong flavour, wrong texture, and it leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth I could only get rid of by brushing my teeth.

And in other news, M&S beet burgers are nowhere near as great as Co-Op's.

I was given some vegan cheese yesterday. It's unspeakably grim. Wrong flavour, wrong texture, and it leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth I could only get rid of by brushing my teeth.

They are slowly getting better with vegan cheese but it's not there yet. However I had some Applewood vegan cheese on toast the other day and it is AMAZING. Give that a try if you can. I also have some violife spread which is similar to Philadelphia which was nice.

Also, Corona Virus came from animals, they aren't sure if it came from eating infected animals or when they had them at the market to kill them. I doubt this is going to change most people's eating habits around the world though.

Is there a vegan halloumi?

There's a Violife one which is not too bad. I had it on top of pasta and it was nice.

https://violifefoods.com/product/mediterranean-style-block/

They are probably the best company right now. But it's difficult to imitate cheese, I think. I was a MASSIVE cheese fan, but since I hjave made the attempt to go more vegan, I have to say, I haven't missed it that much. I have also lost a stone and a half, so every cloud...

For me now, the main issue is foods that secretly have milk in them somewhere, there is so much! But I stopped buying actual dairy products like milk, egg and cheese. I still eat some products with dairy through them like chocolate bars etc, for now anyway.

I HAVE FOUND MY FIRST PROPERLY ACCEPTABLE VEGAN CHEESE

Applewood smoked vegan cheese is a) not bad and b) REALLY nice melted on top of things. It’s not a game changer, but we’re getting there!

In other news, I made some excellent vegan pesto today, using aquafaba instead of oil just to be super healthy. I was very impressed.

I HAVE FOUND MY FIRST PROPERLY ACCEPTABLE VEGAN CHEESE

Applewood smoked vegan cheese is a) not bad and b) REALLY nice melted on top of things. It’s not a game changer, but we’re getting there!

In other news, I made some excellent vegan pesto today, using aquafaba instead of oil just to be super healthy. I was very impressed.
I had smoked Applewood in a sandwich from a local farm shop today. Admittedly there was also a lovely chutney and a fair bit of leaf with it, but I have to say it was delicious. Genuinely wouldn't have known it was vegan.

I’m still 99 percent non meat, but have occasionally fallen off the wagon for a chicken doner or a portion of chicken wings in the last few months. I wish I hated it, but sadly not…

I’m also really craving a decent roast dinner. It’s the one thing I REALLY miss and that the vegetarian alternative just doesn’t crack up to.

I eat very little meat as it is but I am reluctant to go totally dairy free because I am wary of the (no doubt multitude of) ingredients in products like vegan cheese. Plant based milks are generally ok though but again, I don't drink much milk as it is.

Are plant milks ok though? The whole almond industry is a massive greenwashing environmental sham, for example…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom