Veganuary 2021

I love Marmite. And I use it often in a bolognaise or chilli or the suchlike.

I’ve been a fan of nutritional yeast for ages- it’s the bollocks. And it is relatively low fat and calorie. I must attempt a cheesy style sauce with it at some point.

Tonight’s dinner was chimichurri cous cous from the Speedy Bosh book. Made and took it to my Mum’s who loved it, even though she claimed to hate tofu. It really was rather delightful, I have to agree.

What do the vegan bacon alternatives taste like? I'm not really interested in texture, as I'm thinking of using it in a lentil soup where I'll pulse it down to pretty much nothing anyway.

What do the vegan bacon alternatives taste like? I'm not really interested in texture, as I'm thinking of using it in a lentil soup where I'll pulse it down to pretty much nothing anyway.

So far majorly disappointing. I’ve not found a decent one at all. The Ooomph bacon pieces weren’t BAD, but I’m yet to find a really good alternative.

I am not THAT bothered by bacon generally, but I do miss a good amatriciana so badly,

So far majorly disappointing. I’ve not found a decent one at all. The Ooomph bacon pieces weren’t BAD, but I’m yet to find a really good alternative.

I am not THAT bothered by bacon generally, but I do miss a good amatriciana so badly,

Do you think they would work in a soup where they are a background flavour rather than being the star of the show, though?

Possibly worth a try. The texture let them down but the soup thing might change that...

Do you think they would work in a soup where they are a background flavour rather than being the star of the show, though?

could a few pinches of smoked paprika do the trick?

I'm a big fan of the THIS Isn't brand for bacon, really enjoy it in a fry up or BLT. I wouldn't say it's majorly realistic but I like the taste of it. I also loved the Plant Pioneers pigs in blankets at Christmas, reminded me of the bacon bits you get at a salad bar.

I've been veggie for over two years now and would say probably at least 90% of what I eat is vegan as my boyfriend is vegan and he does all of our cooking and even though it was kinda forced onto me to begin with, I don't miss meat at all. The non-vegan stuff I still eat is mainly sweet stuff like chocolate/biscuits, or the odd pizza with actual cheese. I could make a conscious effort to be totally vegan for a month, but I don't know if I want to do it during my birthday month :eyes:

I love the This Is chicken bits but the bacon was “meh”. I was so excited to try it too :(

Those salad bar bacon bits- I know they’re vegetarian, but are they vegan? Cause they’re magnificent...

I bought four kinds of substitute to try out yesterday from Hälsans Kök which seems to be sold under the name Garden Gourmet in the UK. is it good? is it shit? IS IT BACON? we do a meat free January every year but unlike Mr M who will settle for shredded cabbage salads, I really need something a bit more substantial to bite into to feel alive

You can buy liquid smoke, which would probably work just as well as replacing the 'flavour' of bacon in a soup or sauce.

I’m not vegan but I am trying to cut out processed meats and I just wanted to pop in to say the Heck sausages are a real find. They taste amazing.

I was just looking at my weekly shop and Tesco have quite a range of vegan recipes up;

https://realfood.tesco.com/vegan-re...1.2013151762.1610027608-1250831457.1610027607

ooh you just reminded me that Tesco have started doing these vegan health pots which they’re advertising as all of your 5 a day. Most soups are only usually 1 or 2. They do lentil & tumeric and Mexican bean burrito and they’re both gorgeous and not too heavy.

The nicest IMO are the Cauldron ones.

not heard of them! Love a good veggie sausage. I’m amazed now how much they’ve changed recently and are really starting to taste like proper sausages. Really juicy and herby.

I am cooking one of my favourites right now - Chickpea, Tomato and Spinach Curry.

The M&S cooked “chicken” pieces are the most like chicken I’ve ever tasted. Big thumbs up.

the "chicken" strips I got from this Garden Gourmet were OK, a bit on the dry side maybe and of course needed a good kick of flavouring. worked well in a Thai salad

then yesterday I made pad krapow with soy granules(?) that needed rehydration before cooking. the smell when I rehydrated them wasn't promising :D it turned out very well though, and again worked well with a heavy seasoning

I am cooking a lot from my new book these days which is mostly vegan (and whenever it's not, it's easy to make it so)

47171923f6c96dd46369dab820598347.jpg

I remember from living with Epponnee that his wind was AWFUL. All those fermenting onions, APPARENTLY.

HOT SHIT CHAT ALERT

Sorry to be VULGAR, but I can only say that since I've reduced the meat (I've had meat and fish once each so far this year) that my poo seems to smell a lot less. And I've been far more regular.

Since being a veggie, my poos are VERY satisfying. Great big LOGS.

I had the Tesco Wicked Kitchen chorizo style sausages for lunch today and they were magnificent.

ODD that some of the reviews for these on Tesco's website are poor, they were the best vegan sausages I've ever tried.

I like them a lot- great on a BBQ.

They're TERRIBLE cold though, I find.

I am cooking Caponata with Borlotti Beans for dinner .... one of my favourites! Although I have replaced the courgette with mushrooms as GAY SAINSBURY’S didn’t have any.

I am cooking Caponata with Borlotti Beans for dinner .... one of my favourites! Although I have replaced the courgette with mushrooms as GAY SAINSBURY’S didn’t have any.

Brexit. They still have them, they are just called baby marrows now.

I cannot recommend Richmond frozen vegan sausages ENOUGH. I've tried 10,000 different vegetarian sausages myself and these ones taste SUSPICIOUSLY like meat. So much so I had to check the packaging that I hadn't bought the meat ones by accident :D

The weird thing for me, is that I don't like things to taste/ look like meat. We bought some of the new veggie dippers last week, but the texture was just too much like chicken for me

The weird thing for me, is that I don't like things to taste/ look like meat. We bought some of the new veggie dippers last week, but the texture was just too much like chicken for me

I've been a vegetarian for YEARS and the only thing I miss having never particularly enjoyed (or cared about) the taste of meat is sausages (?)
I'd obviously love some smoky vegetarian bacon too, but you can seemingly only really buy that from big supermarkets which I don't really have near me.

You can just CHUCK A SAUSAGE on the side of your breakfast/brunch/dinner for a quick protein hit rather than making in the star of the meal.

but generally, I'm the same - faux meats aren't something I plan my meals around at all.

You can just CHUCK A SAUSAGE on the side of your breakfast/brunch/dinner for a quick protein hit rather than making in the star of the meal.

but generally, I'm the same - faux meats aren't something I plan my meals around at all.

That's true, I deffo need more protein in my diet. I was looking up some recipes for these healthy nut/protein bars, they all seem so complicated though :shy:

Nil interest in Richmond sausages, veggie or otherwise. They were always just a bit CHEAP tasting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom