VERZUZ (R&B battle thing)

This person would win

• Total voters

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
Dunno if it's real, but WHO would win?

If you don't know, it's a live stream that started in 2020, where artists 'battle' by playing bits of songs of theirs.

So who has the most bangerz?

EsXuI3lUYAA8WYE

I think they're quite well matched. Both B+ names (or maybe A if the likes of Whitney, Mariah and Beyoncé are A+)

Ooh!

I agree they're well matched. I feel like Toni's highs are higher, but Mary has a deeper pool to draw from.

Reactions: dUb
Equal? Toni had a few hits in the nineties and then faded into obscurity and did reality tv. Mary is still relevant to this day in terms of music and is a double oscar nominee who’s currently starring on a prestige drama.

I mean I’m sure this will be fun but let’s not pretend we’re talking about the same thing here.

Equal? Toni had a few hits in the nineties and then faded into obscurity and did reality tv. Mary is still relevant to this day in terms of music and is a double oscar nominee who’s currently starring on a prestige drama.

I mean I’m sure this will be fun but let’s not pretend we’re talking about the same thing here.
Long As I Live got to #88 in Scotland though? cc @SDF

Toni has had a little FLURRY of moderate success in recent years musically, and she will certainly have a LOT to offer when it comes to nostalgic hits.

Mary’s actual singing will totally outshine Toni’s mumbling unless Toni has her army of backing vocalists with her.

Hope it's as hilariously pass-ag as the Brandy/Monica affair too!
oh if Mary is involved the shade will be real. and I can't wait. no doubt she'll act UTTERLY ABOVE the whole thing. because she is! :disco:

Reactions: VoR
anyway obviously Mary's back cat is utter leagues ahead of Toni's and she also has more than six hit singles to her name, so I expect this to be very one sided, although probably Unbreak My Heart is the most beloved track from either of them these days

Toni back in contention then. I thought it was a live stream extravaganza.
WELL it is as in they're both present but the main body of it is the tracks being played. They are free to CONTRIBUTE vocally as they play as Jark notes

Didn't Gladys and Patti actually sing their songs? It was only the Babyface/Teddy Riley one where they sat down and played their songs.

anyway obviously Mary's back cat is utter leagues ahead of Toni's and she also has more than six hit singles to her name, so I expect this to be very one sided, although probably Unbreak My Heart is the most beloved track from either of them these days
I honestly see it as being the other way round. I can REEL OFF single after single for Toni (admittedly I'm a bigger fan of hers) but I'd be stumped after 5/6 for MJB

Didn't Gladys and Patti actually sing their songs? It was only the Babyface/Teddy Riley one where they sat down and played their songs.
Well Brandy v Monica was that too, but in fairness I haven't watched the other ones so it could be a singing one. I'm sure John Legend v Alicia Keys would have involved some VERY BORING singing

Also nobody said equal!

You said well matched, Toni’s mainstream career ended in 2000. Mary’s albums still debut in the top ten to this day.

20 years is no well match good sir.

I only really love He Wasn’t Man Enough and Hit The Freeway from Tone. I could go into double figures with Mary.

You said well matched, Toni’s mainstream career ended in 2000. Mary’s albums still debut in the top ten to this day.

20 years is no well match good sir.
Mary's US chart debuts are impressive, very true. BUT Verzuz relies mainly on nostalgia, or at least that's my perception of it. And Toni's got that covered. (NOT to say Mary isn't strong on that front too... one might even say they're well-matched :tongue:)

pls don't unfollow my podcast socials

COMBINED Mary/Toni top 10 (off the top of my head)

01. He Wasn't Man Enough (Toni)
02. Family Affair (MJB)
03. One (MJB)
04. Be Without You (MJB)
05. No More Drama (MJB)
06. 911 ft. Wyclef (MJB)
07. You're Makin' Me High (Toni)
08. No One Will Do (MJB)
09. Need Someone (MJB)
10. 25/8 (MJB)
11. Please (Toni)
12. The Heat (Toni)
13. Midnight Drive (MJB)
14. Mr. Wrong ft. Drake (MJB)
15. I Wanna Be (Your Baby) (Toni)

10-5 to Mary. the next 5 would all be Mary too :D maybe Toni could sneak in with Sex & Cigarettes though

is @POP! a fan of Mary?

I would really like to do a sync listen for the incredible My Life II: The Journey Continues (Act 1) at some point (there was never an Act II FYI) but not sure the interest is there!

her GH Reflections (A Retrospective) is fantastic. so tight.

A CURSORY googling suggests Mary has sold 80m records (includes albums and singles I believe) with Toni on 70m

Top Ten TONI

1. You're Makin' Me High
2. Another Sad Love Song
3. He Wasn't Man Enough
4. Unbreak My Heart
5. Breathe Again
6. Hit the Freeway
7. Spanish Guitar (absurd fun 4 European homosexuals remix)
8. How Could An Angel Break My Heart? (Ma VoR's favorite song in the world, fact fans)
9. Yesterday
10. I Don't Want To

Top Ten MARY

1. Family Affair
2. Be Without You
3. Real Love
4. No More Drama
5. Give Me You (absurd fun 4 European homosexuals remix)
6. Everything

Honestly I know there are loads more but after that it's a struggle for me. I could really stand to do a bit more investigating the 90s hits.

are we all calling in support from the troops? :disco: I select @RJN!

I think I prefer Mary in general, but I wouldn't say I'm a STAN of either

1. Let If Flow (Toni)
2. Family Affair (Mary)
3. Un-break My Heart DANCE (Toni)
4. Long As I Live (Toni)
5. Un-break My Heart BALLAD (Toni)
6. Be Without You (Mary)
7. I Don't Want To (Toni)
8. You're making Me High (Toni)
9. Mary Jane (Mary)
10. The One (Mary)

Toni 6 to Mary 4, but I have more interest in Mary as an album artiste (theoretically)

I think culturally, Toni is bigger these days? Because of the reality show and Tamar etc. I think Mary is a bigger name as a singer

Reactions: dUb
I’m sure you will find Toni in TMZ a lot more than Mary who’s always been classier.

her GH Reflections (A Retrospective) is fantastic. so tight.

I think that would be a good sync listen too. Maybe followed by a few of your favorite less known or something (not to suggest something thats work for YOU)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom