Victoria Beckham - Victoria Beckham

Sipping champagne from a paper cup?

• Total voters
Her USP was 'aloof', and it's hard to channel that into a specific musical direction.

She could have done pop-electroclash a la Rachel Stevens' Some Girls and swamped it with backing vocals to cover her own. She almost did the whole "aloof thing" with Let Your Head Go but it was probably too late.

Last edited:
it was her obsession with american RnB that was her downfall. in her autobiography she goes on about how unfair it is that Forever wasn't taken as well as it should have been because it was her favourite Spice album and they had a "cool RnB sound" on it. then of course she did the whole hip hop thing with damon dash and nobody would take her seriously then.

That Damon Dash thing was ludicrous. He came across as a right cunt too. I can't even REMEMBER what the other half of the AA with Let Your Head Go was called. I just remember it sounding shitm like a lot of UK R 'n' B did at the time e.g. Fierce :zombie:

That Damon Dash thing was ludicrous. He came across as a right cunt too. I can't even REMEMBER what the other half of the AA with Let Your Head Go was called. I just remember it sounding shitm like a lot of UK R 'n' B did at the time e.g. Fierce :zombie:

don't disturb THIS GROOVE

The two high-points of her solo career were:

I've GOT a SECRET ROSE TATOO
I'm DYING just to SHOW YOU

and of course

This TUNE'S gonna PUNISH YOU

And THAT is the SUM TOTAL of what she contributed to the POP MUSIC UNIVERSE

oh dear :(

5 Personal life
5.1 Foreclosures & Divorce
5.2 Rape Allegations
5.3 Custody Battle
5.4 Drug Smuggling
5.5 IRS
5.6 Fight With Beanie Sigel

Last edited:
The two high-points of her solo career were:

I've GOT a SECRET ROSE TATOO
I'm DYING just to SHOW YOU

and of course

This TUNE'S gonna PUNISH YOU

And THAT is the SUM TOTAL of what she contributed to the POP MUSIC UNIVERSE

The Let Your Head Go video remains her FINEST MOMENT

oh dear :(

5 Personal life
5.1 Foreclosures & Divorce
5.2 Rape Allegations
5.3 Custody Battle
5.4 Drug Smuggling
5.5 IRS
5.6 Fight With Beanie Sigel

According to the talk page, it's been blanked due to legal action taken by Damon Dash himself.

Let Your Head Go was great for the gays, but it's not quite the 18/10 max track that some queens make it out to be. It was just the kind of music she SHOULD have been making.

1. Northern Star
2. VB
3. Hot
4. Reason
5. Schizophonic

as IF I was gonna spend a fortune importing Emma's efforts which weren't released in Mexico now THAT'S something the rest of the girls can babble about! (except for Victoria, that shit I bought it on Ebay from AUSTRALIA but back in the day I would have given my RIGHT LEG for her)

Last edited:
When she was planning on making the album in early 2001 she should have gone the LOW RENT Kylie route of FLUFF DISCO ANTHEMS instead of recording Willa Ford rejected demos that by 2002 already sounded DATED!

HA! WHAT!

Was Free Me not released in Mexico? It's one of only three solo Spice Girls albums to see an official US release...

Last edited:
The only official releases I've seen here (and that I know of) were Mel C's and Geri's first two albums and Mel B's Hot. Emma's Free Me was a US import (the one where she's wearing a red dress in the cover and she's kneeling down) and Geri' Passion was a South American import (Argentina I presume). Victoria never had a chance :(

I read a post in DenDen once by a south american loon and pretty much every solo album was released in Argentina and Brazil bizarrely.

Last edited:
I've heard Cruel Intentions which is actually pretty amazing, but that's just a b-side, no?

I remain UTTERLY agog that ANYONE can give this more than about TWO OUT OF TEN at the VERY VERY MOST. Do you REALLY think it's worth 9/10, Beverley? I know you're a Spice Girls loon, Jonfessions, but is this REALLY an album that is 70% good?

It's FUCKING APPALLING and that was from listening at the time- GOD KNOWS how DREADFUL it sounds now.

I remain UTTERLY agog that ANYONE can give this more than about TWO OUT OF TEN at the VERY VERY MOST. Do you REALLY think it's worth 9/10, Beverley? I know you're a Spice Girls loon, Jonfessions, but is this REALLY an album that is 70% good?

It's FUCKING APPALLING and that was from listening at the time- GOD KNOWS how DREADFUL it sounds now.

but it's not fair :( we all know you ABHOR this WHORE :(

but it's not fair :( we all know you ABHOR this WHORE :(

Absolutely, but I'll be the first to admit if something is good- look at how many Spice Girls solo albums I own- I even own Melanie C's first one and there's a couple of songs on there I love. Victoria really has done absolutely NOTHING of even REMOTE credit. "Out Of My Mind" or whatever it was called was TOETAPPING ENOUGH back in the day but is hardly worth more than a 6/10 and this album is just ASTONISHINGLY BAD. In "Context" or not...

I don’t think I really listened to this at the time despite buying it, blame CDWow for me buying everything at the time.

Anyway this is alright - to my ears it sounds like basically every early 00s Darkchild RnB Pop crossover, some of them could easily have been released by J.lo or whoever (maybe as album tracks in most cases).

The thing that gets a bit boring is that almost every track seems to be about “this is who I am” or “that’s not who I am” or “I’m not interested in materials things”, which is about THE most generic theme of the time.

Better than I thought it would be, and her voice - to whatever extent I heard it on here - is certainly a lot easier to listen to than Geri

The thing that gets a bit boring is that almost every track seems to be about “this is who I am” or “that’s not who I am” or “I’m not interested in materials things”, which is about THE most generic theme of the time.

We all are some things and aren’t some things and have some material things we don’t care about. Such a relatable album

We all are some things and aren’t some things and have some material things we don’t care about. Such a relatable album

True, true, but I still feel I don’t know what she thinks based on that album. I wanted to see that vulnerability, no trix no games

Unpopular opinion - it’s sort of Forever II sonically

how the fuck did I give this a 9? It's a 7 at best, though much better than that mess HOT (OUT NOW), but both terrible, overproduced, and forgettable albums.

Both albums just highlighted their flaws as "singers" and just doubled down how they were never gonna be bigger/better than a sum of their parts, except maybe for Mel C but her endless hustling helped her become a bit more "established" even if took her 8 albums to reach that level.

how the fuck did I give this a 9? It's a 7 at best, though much better than that mess HOT (OUT NOW), but both terrible, overproduced, and forgettable albums.

Both albums just highlighted their flaws as "singers" and just doubled down how they were never gonna be bigger/better than a sum of their parts, except maybe for Mel C but her endless hustling helped her become a bit more "established" even if took her 8 albums to reach that level.

wow. traitor.

The album remains far more competent than it will ever be given credit for, but it's eclipsed by the demos of the unreleased 2nd album - that would have been my favourite solo Spice album no question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom