What are you favorite Expressions/Idioms?

KindaCool

Qunt
So one of my favorite things about literature are regional expressions, proverbs and SLANG. Especially when I discover that two completely different cultures have the same expression for the same situation.

I love traditional ones "Storm in a teacup" as well as campy drag ones like "Drag her!".

Moopy favorites include "DEAD" and "SHIT THE BED"

What's y'all favorite idiom/slang? Better yet, which ones are your MOST USED?

Kate

she's for the streets BITCH
Ugh I have loads but can't think of them offhand. Tell me something SHOCKING and I might remember

Kate

As well as IKR I like a Mean Girls "shut up" (to mean "no way" rather than "be quiet")

Reactions: Ag

Ellie

Super talented triple threat
I still occasionally use “great big fuck off xxxx” to describe something of immense size. I first heard it Eddie Izzard’s stand-up videos. Was it used before?

Kate

Of course the British have many beautiful words and phrases for both drunk and hungover.

Kate

I still occasionally use “great big fuck off xxxx” to describe something of immense size. I first heard it Eddie Izzard’s stand-up videos. Was it used before?
I thought that came from Lock Stock! Great big fuckoff knives or something

ButterTart

Sex and gold
One of the guns in Duke Nukem (Which came out in the mid-late 90s) was called the 'big fuck-off gun', which is where I first heard that phrase.

ButterTart

Sex and gold
:D Fuck that's vulgar. I have such a stupid affinity for GROSS-OUT HUMOR
A lot of northern British phrases seem to involve 'shit' or 'arse'. If you're nervous, you 'could shit through the eye of a needle'. If you're angry, you've 'got your arse in your hand' of you've 'seen your arse'.

I feel like a psychologist could have a field day.

Haiku

User
I quite like "that opinion is a choice" as more understated way of saying I don't agree with someone.

RJN

User
I think fag is different than pissed or fanny. I would say most of my friends know about the British meaning of fag, but most don't know about pissed or fanny (this is of course completely anecdotal)

Kate

I know people over here who've started saying they're 'pissed' when they're angry, and I don't like it. If they start telling me they 'could care less', our friendship is over.
Oh god. Same as any British person who sees the word "arse" and pronounces it "ass". DEATH PENALTY NOW.

Kate

I think fag is different than pissed or fanny. I would say most of my friends know about the British meaning of fag, but most don't know about pissed or fanny (this is of course completely anecdotal)
Interesting!

Reactions: RJN

ButterTart

Sex and gold
'Couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo'

I read the phrase 'couldn't hit Jodrell Bank with a cow's arse on a stick' in a magazine when I was little and it's stuck with me forever. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom