What are you gaming? 2019

if there's anything that recent major releases have shown it's that pre-orders are just a conniving marketing trick to sell half-baked products

I'll wait for the reviews, thank you

Dunno about half-baked. Preorders guarantee you a fully finished product. Unlike crowdfunding schemes, which guarantee you fuck all.

I think preordering games is good if there's a specific title you're intent on playing. Like, even if FF7 remake looked like utter shit, I'd still pre-order it lol

those who pre-ordered Anthem, Fallout 76 and Days Gone beg to differ, just to name the most recent AAA games that were reportedly buggered on release. there is absolutely no guarantee, only hype/hope, and it's a worrying trend that mocks consumers

on a related note I have lost all faith with Bethesda and I fear for TES VI :(

There are only 2 examples of a game selling out (BotW & Octopath Traveler) that I can think of in the last decade, and even then if you went there early on launch day you would have been fine.

Dunno about half-baked. Preorders guarantee you a fully finished product
What?! :D
All it guarantees is you’ll get whatever they’ve made of the game on release day, which on average these days is 75% of a game.

What?! :D
All it guarantees is you’ll get whatever they’ve made of the game on release day, which on average these days is 75% of a game.

Right. But developers only make pre-orders available when they have a game that's basically finished, has a trailer and is ready to go, so that they can get an estimate of how many units they need to produce. Especially important for deluxe/collectors' editions. And especially these days, when physical software is becoming unnecessary.
That's why EA is such a despised developer. They'll throw out a trailer and make an upcoming game look amazing, make everyone pre-order, and then release some rubbish on the day. Hence, gamers don't pre-order anything they sell anymore. Like the in case of...surprise, surprise: ANTHEM
But I've rarely been disappointed by a game that I've pre-ordered, because unless it's a game I'm absolutely intent on playing, I'll just wait till its release and read the reviews.

I was comparing it crowdfunding where you're paying for a product that doesn't exist yet. You're funding the developer and the PROJECT itself.

I'm gagging for Songs of Conquest. HoMaM 3 is one of the old games I still play on the regular

I know it's not new but having not played it since the original came out I just bought the PS4 Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 package (1.5 remix etc or whatever it's called, I lose track) and my god, it's just heaven being back in that world again. My life is going to be SUCKED DRY reliving it all. And I never even played 2 for whatever reason so that'll be a treat since it seems to be better received.

I forgot how terrible some of the first game's camera angles were, but other than that it really is :disco: x infinity.

So my friend stayed over last night and convinced me to play Doki Doki Literature Club, a visual novel where you write poems to cute anime schoolgirls. I don't want to spoil anything but it's quite an incredible experience - things start out quite straightforward, but after the first hour or two the game becomes something quite different from what you'd expect. It actually reminded me a bit of the first time I played Frog Fractions, which I suppose is a bit of a spoiler in itself... anyway I highly recommend it!

I watched someone play the first half of the new Blair Witch game last night and it was very disappointing :(

Astral Chain is, as the reviews say, BRILLIANT.

I've never been a HUGE fan of the Bayonetta games from a narrative perspective, so I was dubious about whether Astral Chain would be more of the same just in a different environment.

But it's got a much more likeable cast of characters, the voice acting is excellent, and the gameplay is stellar. It reminds me of an early Nintendo DS game in that respect; there's much more to it than fighting, and even if some of the detective work merely amounts to moving to a predetermined point on the map, I can't think of another game like it in recent years. It's well worth a punt.

And it was quite welcome after I completed Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age. Don't get me wrong; it wasn't AWFUL (actually, as much as I found the battle system a little perplexing, I grew quite accustomed to it) but after sinking 50+ hours into it, I just felt wholly un-moved by the storyline. It's probably the only modern Final Fantasy game I've completed where the end cinematic didn't create any feeling whatsoever. Glad to have played it after starting it on the PS2, but it's not a classic.

I don’t know where to post this but @COB , that SPITEFUL GOOSE game is apparently releasing on the 20th! :o

It may be called “Untitled Goose Game” :D

Reactions: COB
The Switch has an embarrassment of riches in terms of indie releases.

Untitled Goose Game looks great, but before that there's Headliner: NoviNews, which is really well reviewed. It puts you as a newsreader who has to pick which stories to run - your choices then dictate the sort of society you live in.

Also worth mentioning that Dream Daddy: Dadrector's Cut was released a few months back. That theme tune...

I hope it's good.

It SCREAMS "extended tech demo" with the goose and the characters getting stuck in the scenery and nothing working as well as it does in the trailers, but WE'LL SEE.

So my friend stayed over last night and convinced me to play Doki Doki Literature Club, a visual novel where you write poems to cute anime schoolgirls. I don't want to spoil anything but it's quite an incredible experience - things start out quite straightforward, but after the first hour or two the game becomes something quite different from what you'd expect. It actually reminded me a bit of the first time I played Frog Fractions, which I suppose is a bit of a spoiler in itself... anyway I highly recommend it!

I only got onto Steam this week after being convalesced with a heavy cold. Only one of the four Monkey Island games ( <3 ) is Mac compatible so I jumped onto this.

Thanks @COB, it’s not like I needed to ever sleep again or anything.

Last edited:
I went back to Wind Waker HD for the first time in 3 years yesterday. Still have no idea how far along I am, but that's well over 60 hours in total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom