What is her most underrated album?

Dispute with the label. They wanted 'Amazing' as single number 4, but she wanted 'Impressive Instant' (remixes had been commissioned for the latter in the USA; a promo disc was issued of the former to radio). To circumvent her, the label was going to film a live video for 'Amazing' from the Drowned World tour, so she decided to cut off her nose to spite her face and cut it from the setlist (replacing it with 'Beautiful Stranger'.)

The campaign already seemed finished with WIFLFAG, the song was very uncommercial and the video only had a the remix (which I loved).

Impressive Instant as a summer single to coincide with the tour followed by a moody/arty last single in the fall (Paradise or Gone) would have been perfect.

I loved Amazing back then, but really, in what world would it have done better than Impressive Instant?

Amazing would have probably done best in the States cause we lack taste! Impressive instant everywhere else would have been the move.

What It Feels Like was a really underwhelming single choice at the time, but I guess she and Guy liked the video concept.

Impressive Instant is one of her all-time lost singles IMO. Though I don't know that it would have worked for America at all.

Music (the single) worked in America. I don’t think that was a very American sounding #1 back then.

Then again, most of her singles did rather badly in the US by 2000, so it’s not like they were going to lose anything by releasing Impressive Instant. It would have given her another #1 in the dance charts.

Music (the single) worked in America. I don’t think that was a very American sounding #1 back then.

Then again, most of her singles did rather badly in the US by 2000, so it’s not like they were going to lose anything by releasing Impressive Instant. It would have given her another #1 in the dance charts.
I Don’t think that’s true at all- she was consistently doing well on the Hot 100 up until “American Life”. “Nothing Really Matters” was more of an exception to the rule as that barely made a dent. Some of her peaks here are deceiving - “Beautiful Stranger” for example was a big hit and got huge exposure but was airplay only, which prevented it from going any higher than top 30.

Didn't BS also have two CD singles in the UK compared to HN's one?

I may be confusing with a European release, though...

Didn't BS also have two CD singles in the UK compared to HN's one?

I may be confusing with a European release, though...
Yes - Bedtime Story definitely had 2xCD with the lovely cardboard box and you'd buy CD2 separately and you were able to slot it into the cardboard box with the artwork and 'Bedtime Story' picture book. Of course it had the lovely 12" as well which is one of her more sought after items.

I need to check but I think you're also right that HN only had 1 UK CD (chair cover image from video.) US had a different cover (from the Bettina Rheimes 'Berlin whore' photoshoot which also was used for Details magazine).

Last edited:
I love that American Human Nature single I have. Love that pic of her.

This reminds me, I need to sell all my cds, because I’ve not used any for years.

I love that American Human Nature single I have. Love that pic of her.

This reminds me, I need to sell all my cds, because I’ve not used any for years.
If you have any Madonna ones I'd be happy to have a look at your list and relieve them off you. Mates' rates? :angel:

Oh I have plenty of Madonna, but I doubt there’s anything you don’t have. (Maybe the Gambler vinyl? or Japanese La Isla Bonita?).

I’ll send you pics before I sell anything (which won’t happen until I bother to go down to the cellar).

To be fair Amazing would have done great in the UK, it would have been an instant huge UK airplay hit for sure. I'm surprised her label didn't just press ahead and issue it to European radio with or without M's permission TBH.

To be fair Amazing would have done great in the UK, it would have been an instant huge UK airplay hit for sure. I'm surprised her label didn't just press ahead and issue it to European radio with or without M's permission TBH.
It was all set to go until she pulled it from the tour setlist so they couldn't use a live video. Gotta love her and her bitchy ways :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom