WHAT IS THE BEST STEPS SONG?

I wonder if members of this band have particularly lucid moments where they think that 5 6 7 8 could have been passed over completely, and life right now would be VERY VERY DIFFERENT :D

What is their best song?

Whilst I PROPERLY PROPERLY LOVE What The Future Holds, they've never beaten One For Sorrow for me :disco:

And SUCH an iconic video for gays of a CERTAIN AGE! The ding of the bell! The sunflower sniffing! The baguettes as BUNNY EARS! :disco:

Truly a simpler time.

Last edited:
Deeper Shade of Blue was definitely the moment I really started to take notice of them. The smiley ABBA-pop stuff was great, but it was all a bit FORMULAIC, whereas this was the first time they took something of a left turn. It was far from their biggest hit, but I do think their career might have looked quite different without it.

Somewhat serious question - I wonder if Deeper Shade of Blue is the reason Steps have a proper legacy and S Club 7 really don't?

I don't recall the latter group ever releasing anything that could remotely be considered risky. It seems to me that stuff like that is what buys you the long-term fanbase.

Deeper Shade of Blue was definitely the moment I really started to take notice of them. The smiley ABBA-pop stuff was great, but it was all a bit FORMULAIC, whereas this was the first time they took something of a left turn. It was far from their biggest hit, but I do think their career might have looked quite different without it.

I think the VIDEO helped a lot, and that it melded into UK club culture a little - which they'd sort of flirted with with remixes (mainly by SLEAZE SISTERS) before but never really embraced at all.

Having a strong visual image at this point in their career was a killer move too. The second album had been QUITE BLAND up to this part (unless you count accidental Chinese CULTURAL APPROPRIATION as a look), the DSOB video is absolutely one of their most memorable visual elements at this time - alongside Tragedy and the white/sunflowers of OFS.

Well, I'm not claiming DSOB was suddenly 'Steps go PJ Harvey', but it was certainly a little bit darker than what you'd expect from what had beforehand basically been a band aimed at 8 year olds.

I'd compare it to Kylie's Confide In Me. Not that it's QUITE that monumental, but spiritually they're not a million miles away.

Well gosh.

One For Sorrow is get special.

Love's Got A Hold On My Heart is often stuck in my head.

Oh and I love Summer of Love.

Well, I'm not claiming DSOB was suddenly 'Steps go PJ Harvey', but it was certainly a little bit darker than what you'd expect from what had beforehand basically been a band aimed at 8 year olds.

I'd compare it to Kylie's Confide In Me. Not that it's QUITE that monumental, but spiritually they're not a million miles away.
Comparing it with Confide In Me is like comparing Lana Del Ray with Lolly

Deeper_Shade_of_Blue.jpg

LONELY? CALL!

Unpopular OPINION this may be, but had this been CANON as a Steps single (lets be honest, it would BARELY sound any different with the other 3 added :D ) this would be a HOTSHOT for my Steps top 3 :disco:

and lest we forget, it reintroduced the CLUBBY DANCE BREAKDOWN Deeper Shade Of Blue started :disco:

Reactions: SDF
THAT’S THE SECOND TIME THAT VOR HAS MADE A FOOL OF HIMSELF RECENTLY BY SAYING SOMETHING RIDICULOUS (THE FIRST BEING THE APPLETON DEBACLE).

IF THESE THINGS COME IN THREES, WHAT WILL BE THE THIRD?

Deeper Shade of Blue from the first time round, and it's not even a question (and I don't think the Confide In Me comparison is totally off-base either)

Reactions: VoR
I never even said that they sounded similar, just that they represented a subtle shift away from the very bright and smiley image of the respective performers at the time.

Now granted, CiM was much more of a leap in that regard, but I think in terms of them being important moments for locking down long-term fans, the parallels are there.

So in conclusion, SHUT UP NANCY

Love's Got A Hold On My Heart is a more of the same triumph, and often my favourite, but Last Thing On My Mind probably edges it, tops it and then slaps it silly.

Deeper Shade of Blue, which I can only imagine got them banned from Blue Peter and worried the shit out of Marilyn Manson when Lisa Scott Lee did his make up style and hordes of gays kept asking for her autograph, arguably has shaped their current style more than the songs I'd consider their true classics, so there's always that.

You know this is actually impossible. They have so many 11/10, 13/10, 37/10 etc songs I don't think I've ever pinpointed a favourite. However objectively, if that's even possible, I think "One For Sorrow" is their best.

But (and I don't feel this is a ridiculous claim) "Scared of the Dark" really is up there and sometimes for me their best by a mile. For what it did, for the modern day transition whilst embracing Steps of old and for how fucking INCREDIBLE it is as a song

One For Sorrow wouldn’t make a dent in my Steps Top 20, never liked it particularly. I realise I am most likely a LONE WOLF in that regard

Got to be Deeper Shade of Blue but Scared of the Dark is definitely up there

Claire’s voice is one that my ears can’t bear so whilst she’s probably much better technically than Faye I think I’d like Steps if Faye did all the singing.

Of their singles I'd go for You'll Be Sorry. If album tracks are allowed then Happy pips it.

Unpopular OPINION this may be, but had this been CANON as a Steps single (lets be honest, it would BARELY sound any different with the other 3 added :D ) this would be a HOTSHOT for my Steps top 3 :disco:

and lest we forget, it reintroduced the CLUBBY DANCE BREAKDOWN Deeper Shade Of Blue started :disco:

I have this song in my Steps folder I know it doesnt belong but its the best steps song that never was, I dount they would ever cover it as group but amazing if they ever did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom