What tech and gadgets do you use?

Iguana

If I only could...
I'm a terrible one for trawling through lists of gadgets to see if there's anything I want. Put "smart" in front of anything and I'm GAGGING. Most things I use once and discard, naturally.

What gadgets/tech do people have, actually use and find useful or fun? Or is it all just gimmicky?

I don't have any tech gadgets per se other than the staples (phone, computer, Playstation)

but a special SHOUT-OUT to my beloved pressure cooker if we're allowed to talk kitchen paraphernalia :disco:

With this working from home malarkey possibly lasting until Winter, I’ve been pre-stressing about the possibility of increased heating bills at the end of the year.

Considering buying this foot warmer/massager to use at my desk:

Amazon product ASIN B07SG4VBTY
Might be good to get a decent price for it in the middle of August.

With this working from home malarkey possibly lasting until Winter, I’ve been pre-stressing about the possibility of increased heating bills at the end of the year.

My understanding is that if you have your heating on relatively low all the time, it's more cost efficient than getting home and whacking it up high, so it may work out OK if you're home all the time. Then again, I'm HARDLY an expert.

The idea of a foot warmer sounds good though. I bought a neck/back massager which has a heat function. It's GOOD!

My understanding is that if you have your heating on relatively low all the time, it's more cost efficient than getting home and whacking it up high, so it may work out OK if you're home all the time. Then again, I'm HARDLY an expert.

'tis true. I am also using less/paying less after I got digital thermostats on my radiators

I am going for a full smart home vibe. I have Google homes in every room, Google enabled TV, Hue Bulbs, along with a phone, tablet and desktop PC that runs a media server. I used to have a Nest thermostat, various smart sensors and a wifi enabled dishwasher (which I miss terribly), but they stayed with the ex. Our cats also have GPS collars and a smart cat flap, which I still have access to. When I own my own place, I will probably be getting most of these things again. I also have my eyes on smart blinds and a full Japanese style electronic toilet.

I am going for a full smart home vibe. I have Google homes in every room, Google enabled TV, Hue Bulbs, along with a phone, tablet and desktop PC that runs a media server. I used to have a Nest thermostat, various smart sensors and a wifi enabled dishwasher (which I miss terribly), but they stayed with the ex. Our cats also have GPS collars and a smart cat flap, which I still have access to. When I own my own place, I will probably be getting most of these things again. I also have my eyes on smart blinds and a full Japanese style electronic toilet.

DqYVR9GX0AIizzN.jpg:large

OMG a GPS cat collar would be SO good if only our cats would not lose their collar within an hour!

I won the fancy expensive Alexa in the work Christmas raffle last year. The speaker is really very good and I’ve played a bit of music trivia with it, but mostly it’s just asking the weather forecast.

I’m definitely not a tech/gadget fan boy. Apart from owning a smart phone, laptop and tv, I can’t say I’m that bothered.

From a tin foil hat/data protection angle perspective, I’m not sure I want loads of smart devices collecting my information and data. Especially when it is being used by the big tech companies.

This looks like a warmer for two small cups of baked beans :zombie:

I have an Alexa (not with the screen, but the tall cylinder one) and agree that the sound is surprisingly strong. As good as my (several years old admittedly) Bose one.

I always unplug the fucker when I'm not using it, though.

Do you use Home Assistant? I've got all my smart devices linked and running through Home Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi. It's reet clever.

I've also got a 3d printer I bought as my lockdown project that i enjoy printing random shit with

I have an iPad, MacBook, and iPhone and am not great on ANY of them to be honest.

I have a desktop in my office but let’s face it I am rarely in there these days. :D

Do you use Home Assistant? I've got all my smart devices linked and running through Home Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi. It's reet clever.
I've always meant to get that working. I have a Pi somewhere that I bought exactly for that purpose. But I managed to get everything working with IFTTT so just never got round to it

What IS a 3D printer? I know it prints things in 3D but what do you use it for?
You can print anything.
I've printed the plastic bits for face visors for some friends, some shot glasses, key rings, tooth brush holders, feet for pc keyboards and so on.

I've always meant to get that working. I have a Pi somewhere that I bought exactly for that purpose. But I managed to get everything working with IFTTT so just never got round to it
I've got some things working through IFTTT but it's been s bit flakey.
Give Home Assistant a go, they've updated it loads in the past year or so. There's less faffing with YAML files and now set up through the GUI.

I'm a sucker for a quality tech item, although I don't buy any old nonsense. I flat out refuse to buy an Alexa or Google thing.

You can print anything.
I've printed the plastic bits for face visors for some friends, some shot glasses, key rings, tooth brush holders, feet for pc keyboards and so on.

I don’t get it either, it sounds like magic. What raw material does it use? And how big are these things?

Can you print clothes?!

Apart from the usual (iphone, ipad, TV) the only high tech thing I have is my robot vaccum cleaner.

Also electric blankets give me the fear. What if they malfunction and I go up in flames :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom