Whatever happened to Ashanti?

The tickets for her UK tour are plastered everywhere in Leeds for some reason. She’s playing the Arena here which seems AMBITIOUS to say the least…

GOD SHE WAS SHIT

Commercial R&B had generally run out of ideas in the noughties. No wonder neo soul became so popular. Missy/Timba and The Neptunes kept things ticking along but it was largely forgettable.

Rock With U is nice enough but that’s it. Always On Time is the nadir of black music and I won’t hear a word otherwise.

I always preferred TWEET during the 5 minute period in 2002 when they were being set up as quasi-rivals. Southern Hummingbird was a really good album.

I'm sure I saw posters of her doing some kind of Disney thing at Build-A-Bear when we took my god-daughter a while ago.

GOD SHE WAS SHIT

Commercial R&B had generally run out of ideas in the noughties. No wonder neo soul became so popular. Missy/Timba and The Neptunes kept things ticking along but it was largely forgettable.

Rock With U is nice enough but that’s it. Always On Time is the nadir of black music and I won’t hear a word otherwise.
And you know damn well that Mariah was probably FUMING that the industry had chosen her and JLo to be the big R&B girls.

I always quite liked her and still come back to Foolish now and again.

See, my days are cold without you
But I'm hurting while I'm with you
And though my heart can't take no more
I keep on running back to you

:(

I always preferred TWEET during the 5 minute period in 2002 when they were being set up as quasi-rivals. Southern Hummingbird was a really good album.

That was really a soul album though. She was quite smartly positioned as more commercial given that she was young and beautiful and they launched her with a sultry R&B bop. But mostly that album is neo soul, and a very good one at that

See also: Sunshine Anderson

That was really a soul album though. She was quite smartly positioned as more commercial given that she was young and beautiful and they launched her with a sultry R&B bop. But mostly that album is neo soul, and a very good one at that

See also: Sunshine Anderson
I wonder if that hurt her in the long run though? Oops (Oh My!) really wasn’t terribly representative of what she was about.

You’re right that she’s closer to Jill Scott and Angie Stone, but they seem to have had much more longevity.

It's funny because I remember the name like she was some massive deal.... but I can't for the life of me hum any of her tunes!

Pop down to Hyde Park for a reminder

Date Waiting GIF by People of Earth TBS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom