Whatev's Christina Aguilera Top 50!

So after years of Xtina being my 2nd favourite artist (after Mariah), I realised that I haven't been listening to her much over the past couple of years and started to re-explore her back cat.

There's some absolute SHIT (Bobblehead anyone?) and plenty of NOX, but obvs there was a reason why I loved her so much and her music was a big part of my life growing up. In the end, I found it hard to stick to 50 tracks, so you're getting 60 in total...

Top 10 Bubbling Under coming up :D

This will probably take several years to finish but whatever. Summer holidays coming up.

I haven't done a countdown since 2013 :o

(Please see sig below for previous highly successful content many thanx)

I'm here for this despite obvious reservations based on the subject

I can't help but notice the lack of Mariah countdowns in your signature however... have you not done one? :o

The countdown will feature songs from the following albums:

13 from Stripped :disco:
8 from Christina Aguilera
7 from Back to Basics
6 from Mi Reflejo
6 from Bionic
5 from Lotus
5 from Liberation
2 from the Burlesque soundtrack
8 from other mystery sources...

Songs by The Wretched Christina Aguilera that I like:

I Turn To You
Come On Over (All I Want Is You)
Reflection

(probably some other stuff on her debut that I've never listened to)
Nobody Wants To Be Lonely
(nothing from Stripped :D)
(nothing from Back 2 Basics)
Lift Me Up
You Lost Me
Your Body
Let There Be Love
Say Something
Accelerate

How many of these have MADE IT?

Last edited:
Let's begin HA! Starting with...

10 TRACKS WORTH MENTIONING

Tilt Ya Head Back

Nelly Featuring Christina Aguilera
Sweat (2004)

As a 20-year-old, I probably danced like a ho in some sweaty R&B clubs to this, wearing my lace-up crotch jeans and string vest (no, really). What made this song for me was the incredible live performance at the MTV VMAs - one of her best I think - the vox! The strutting! The confidence! The way she owns Nelly! The way she forgets the words at 3:52! This was also the first time the retro Back To Basics look was unveiled. The song itself is a solid 7/10 but gets bonus credit for the immortal lines "Little bit o' rap with a little bit o' bitch HA!" and "Oh Nelly, Nelly, ya make me so sweaty". I never knew about this little nugget until today - HOW RUDE: The producer of the song confirmed that it was originally meant for Nelly and Britney Spears, however Spears' record label Jive Records rejected the idea because they thought the song was "too urban", even though Spears wanted to do it. A snippet of Britney's version was premiered at Singaporean radio Gold 90.5 the 22nd March 2016. Following Spears, Janet Jackson and Christina Aguilera were approached to appear on "Tilt Ya Head Back", and the final choice was Aguilera. :D :(

Highlight: The "DAAAANCE all NIGHT" backing vocals in the chorus.

Watch:

Iconic live performance:

Songs by The Wretched Christina Aguilera that I like:

I Turn To You
Come On Over (All I Want Is You)
Reflection

(probably some other stuff on her debut that I've never listened to)
Nobody Wants To Be Lonely
(nothing from Stripped :D)
(nothing from Back 2 Basics)
Lift Me Up
You Lost Me
Your Body
Let There Be Love
Say Something
Accelerate

How many of these have MADE IT?
SEVEN

Reactions: dUb
Somos Novios (It's Impossible)
Andrea Bocelli Featuring Christina Aguilera
Amore (2006)

A rare moment of poise and elegance for Xtina here. Before her voice was ruined and she knew how to use it, this featured on Bocelli's 2006 duets album; a smart move considering it went Top 5 around the world and introduced her to a new audience. The song itself dates back to 1968 and is very pretty. She doesn't over-sing TOO much, which is refreshing, and I always think she sounds lovely in Spanish... more to come later.

Highlight: The run up to 2:23 in the video below - and her restingbitchface is priceless at the beginning!

Watch:

Last edited:
Tilt Ya Head Back and Carwash came out at around the same time (if I remember correctly) followed by that horrible Ain’t No Other Man put me right off of her for a while. Thank God for Hurt that balanced things out.

What I was going to say was that I hate jazz Christina because it combines the worst things in life; noisy instrumentals and shouting.

Castle Walls
T.I. Featuring Christina Aguilera
No Mercy (2010)

Apparently this was originally written for Diddy. Despite not being released as a single, it still managed to chart in several countries, which was nice as neither artist was having much success at the time. At 5:30 it's overly long and she really only sings the choruses, but it's included here as another example of how a more restrained vocal approach can have great results for her.

Highlight: Harmonising with herself on the chorus

Watch:

I thought that by 2006 Britney was shifting into a more URBAN & like really COOL territory? She was definitely working on Blackout already when she got offered this.

Don't Make Me Love You
Christina Aguilera - Special Edition (2000)

Let's go right back to the debut album now. Written by Shelly Peiken (who also wrote What A Girl Wants and Come On Over Baby), it was recorded for the 1999 album, but didn't surface until the re-release in 2000 on a bonus disc. It's joyful fluffy 90s pop in the same vein as much of the album, just not quite as high standard. It still has those classic early Aguilera vocals and the breathless whisperings give a hint of the sexual awakening that was to come.

Highlight: Lots of great ad libs but 3:06 "I-I-I need you to go slow and steady baby" is my favourite.

Listen:

I thought that by 2006 Britney was shifting into a more URBAN & like really COOL territory? She was definitely working on Blackout already when she got offered this.
"Tilt Your Head Back" was 2004. She was presumably preparing to release "Outrageous" so I get your POINT. Something doesn't add up though with that explanation because Jive was apparently pushing for the urban-ish "(I Got That) Boom Boom" and "Outrageous" as the potential lead singles from In the Zone.

Just A Fool

Christina Aguilera and Blake Shelton
Lotus (2012)

I know some of you love this. Originally pitched for Pink and recorded by Adam Lambert, it's her first (and only?) foray into country music and it's a great song, but her vox are just TOO MUCH sometimes. She's literally SHOUTING. I don't know why they didn't just lower the key to make it less painful. I have to turn it down. Love the epic strings as the song builds. It did pretty well, reaching #71 in the US with no video being shot.

Highlight: The strings on the final chorus.

Listen:

"Tilt Your Head Back" was 2004. She was presumably preparing to release "Outrageous" so I get your POINT. Something doesn't add up though with that explanation because Jive was apparently pushing for the urban-ish "(I Got That) Boom Boom" and "Outrageous" as the potential lead singles from In the Zone.

I know this ain't a Britney thread so sorry to keep this going but yeah, the self -titled album was as urban as you could get from a pop girl not to mention In The Zone followed suit so I kind of see your point, she dabbled with urban all the time (see when she released Toxic which was poppy and then they wanted Outrageous, an R. Kelly track, like you mentioned).

NOW OT: I remember Don't Make Me... was actually only available on the Madonna movie soundtrack, I remember that was the only way of having it because we never had that apparent re-release @Whatevar mentions :confused: :amlife:

Don't Make Me Love You
Christina Aguilera - Special Edition (2000)

Let's go right back to the debut album now. Written by Shelly Peiken (who also wrote What A Girl Wants and Come On Over Baby), it was recorded for the 1999 album, but didn't surface until the re-release in 2000 on a bonus disc. It's joyful fluffy 90s pop in the same vein as much of the album, just not quite as high standard. It still has those classic early Aguilera vocals and the breathless whisperings give a hint of the sexual awakening that was to come.

Highlight: Lots of great ad libs but 3:06 "I-I-I need you to go slow and steady baby" is my favourite.

Listen:

It was on the soundtrack to Madonna's flop film "The Next Best Thing", which may have been released before the reissue.

Given that Madonna 'executive produced' the soundtrack, I've always thought that she picked this song because she liked it, and I can see why.

Last edited:
Reflection
Christina Aguilera (1999)

Funny story: I sang this for an A level Music performance and got extra marks because of the TECHNICAL DIFFICULTY (multiple key changes). My teacher loved it as his daughter was a Mulan fan. I changed the lyrics to "Who is that GUY I see". Amazing. Written for the 1998 Disney animated film, it somehow became Aguilera's debut single and then ended up buried on the self-titled debut album. There's a much touted story about her having to hit an E5 note in order to record the song, which is odd because it ain't that high, really. She was only 17 at the time and, for me, the vocals are a little rough and ready in places - the spanish version, Mi Reflejo (My Reflection, non-Spanish fans), recorded in 2000, is a big improvement but still rather LOUD. However, the single's success funded the debut album and gave her credibility amongst established writers and producers, including Diane Warren. A bizarre and deeply embarrassing music video was filmed - see below.

Highlight: 2:37 "Must there be a secret me, I'm FORCED TO HIDE" was quite thrilling back in the day, I suppose. Less so today.

Watch:

Mi Reflejo:

This thread made me miss some vintage Xxxtina so I searched for her debut on Spotify (called Super Deluxe Expanded Edition - show off much?) and GOD, if it isn't a joy through and through? Perhaps the album as a whole hasn't dated quite well and I still prefer the original version of COO over the Radio Edit though not the case with WAGW where the Radio Edit is superior to the more softer sounding original, but it's SO nice to hear her voice on some poppy songs restraining herself from wailing over rendering them unlistenable (like most of her output post-2006). and this version includes Don't Make Me Love you :disco: though there's no sign of We're A Miracle :(

Without You
Back To Basics (2006)

Tucked away towards the end of B2B CD1 is this little gem. Co-written with Kara Dio Guardi and Mark Ronson, and produced by Ronson and Producertina, it's just a really nice R&B-lite piano ballad with gorgeous foghorn-free vocals, and one of few tracks on the album not to be based on a sample. Not quite memorable enough to make the Top 50, but lovely nonetheless.

Highlight: 2:03 "The way we are TODAAAAY"

Listen:

My Girls

Christina Aguilera Featuring Peaches
Bionic (2010)

One of the stand out tracks on the much maligned Bionic is this electro-disco number produced by Le Tigre. It was a bit of a departure for Chrissy at the time and Peaches was the hottest lesbian in town, giving this track a cool, punky edge, while remaining firmly in the pop camp. Would've made a great single and still sounds fresh today, unlike most of the album!

Highlight: I can't think of one. It's more of a vibe track.

Listen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom