Whatev's Mariah Carey Top 50!

The Loverboy Sampling Controversy for those who have been dead for the past 20 years

Throughout 2000, Carey had already been writing and recording material for Glitter. During this period, she developed the concept for the album's lead single, "Loverboy". Originally, Carey had sampled the melody and hook from the 1978 Yellow Magic Orchestra song "Firecracker", using an interpolation of it throughout the chorus and introduction. In early theatrical trailers for Glitter, the original version of "Loverboy" was still featured. As Carey had ended her contract with Columbia Records, Jennifer Lopez was signed by Tommy Mottola, and had begun recording material for her album, J.Lo (2001). According to The Inc.'s Irv Gotti, Mottola, head of Columbia and Carey's ex-husband, knew of Carey's usage of the "Firecracker" sample, and attempted to have Lopez use the same sample before her. At the time, Carey had become increasingly paranoid over outside executives being informed about Glitter, especially following news of Mottola's "theft" of the song. When the music publishers for "Firecracker" were questioned, they admitted Carey had licensed usage of the sample first, and Lopez's team had signed for it over one month later, under Mottola's arrangement. Following the scandal, Carey was not able to use the original sample, as Lopez's album was to be released far earlier than Glitter. She subsequently changed the composition of "Loverboy", and incorporated a new sample, "Candy" by Cameo. The "Firecracker" sample was eventually used by Lopez on her song "I'm Real", from her album J.Lo. The original version of "Loverboy" with the "Firecracker" sample was included on Carey's 2020 compilation album The Rarities.

LOVE THIS ARTWORK

1620497626226.png

When You Believe (with Whitney Houston)
#1s

Now if ever a song should've been a US #1 hit, it's THIS. How it stalled at #15 is beyond ME. Peaked at a more reasonable #4 in the UK. But hey, it did win an OSCAR. I love the song and never get bored of it. Love how it manages to incorporate both Whitney and Mariah's signature sounds and give them equal billing; probably down to the skilled production of Babyface who had worked with both artists previously. How beautiful and iconic do they both look in the video? And I love that they developed such a clear friendship and made fun of all the diva rivalry bullshit during the release campaign.

I'm glad When You Believe is rightly recognised as a stone cold classic these days.

When You Believe (Live on Oprah)

This is a wonderful opportunity for me to bang on YET AGAIN about the bit from 3:17 when Whitney sings the wrong harmony and Mariah swaps to the higher one to compensate and gives an oblivious Whitney such a lovely smile šŸ„²

Always Be My Baby is quite simply a masterstroke in R&B pop. The original version remains beloved, and is one of those Love At First Sight-esque examples of a Single #3 enduring better than the two obvious monster singles that preceded it. I agree 100% on the Mr Dupri Mix featuring Xscape (her first time working with Kandi!) - it's become my go-to version since MC30 (although I prefer the Da Brat-free version). I also love the Tokyo Dome Live version. Her ad-libs are just *chef's kiss*

Loverboy is just iconic to lambs and the extended lambily (aka Marge stans). I agree with everything Ms. @Whatevar said. The "original" Firecracker version makes the most sense, and is the one I play most. But we can't overlook the Cameo version, which oddly sounds very interesting these days. I'm not a massive Glitter fan, but Loverboy and Out Here On My Own were my two keepers from The Rarities, showing that there was the germ of something great in that era, but it got buried under the drama, politics and mental health problems.

When You Believe. Now that was a classic, that was a classic. It feels like it was a US #1, it's that iconic. I don't think there is a clear winner either. Both complement the other perfectly. Mariah's lower register on her verse is just... giving me Barry White at Disneyland in the best way possible. I am always heartened by the fact that while Whitney outsang Mariah at the Oscars, Mariah bested her on Oprah (I never knew that amazing fact @dUb shared above - Mariah being that queen of vocal agility we been knew she was).

Loverboy really is the Michelle Williams of the glorious diva sampling bop trinity that also includes All For You and Bootylicious from back in '01. What a time to be alive and online as a young queen.

I never really got When You Believe either. Again, just the wrong side of gloopy for me. I donā€™t hate it, but Iā€™d never play it.

Love that it made them friends though, thatā€™s a truly lovely thing.

Loverboy was the moment that many bitter Marge queens who had spent the entire 90s stuck at #7 before a free-fall down the charts got their revenge. The library was well and truly open, and it was the gag of the '01 season. But cut to 2021 and talent (aka Mariah) stay winning. :disco:

I'm also smirking to myself imaging a Top 50 from another... entertainer. I mean, I guess she has... fifty songs, so it's technically possible.

At this point in the countdown, I am starting to worry for some of my girls. Whenever You Call, where you at.

Caution
Caution

This is the most recent track in the countdown and, to my ears, clearly the most instant commercial hit on the album, but what do I know? Written and produced with hip-hop producer No ID and relative unknowns SLMN and Luca, it's a slick R&B/Pop hybrid that gets everything right. I love the opening breath, the way the beat kicks in heavily on the chorus, the subtle yet intricate vocals and harmonies, the little guitar riff - and it also contains the album's vocal highlight at 2:24. A massive waste of a great song.

Heartbreaker Featuring Jay-Z
Rainbow

The lead single from one of my favourite albums is quintessential Mariah. Originally intended to be part of the Glitter soundtrack, it was written solely by Mariah and produced with DJ Clue, and was only her second single to feature a rapper (after Fantasy with ODB). It became her 14th #1 in the US and reached #5 in the UK. The video was the most expensive ever made at the time (how?!) and the song led to several amazing remixes, all equally good songs in their own right, so I'm including them all under this umbrella. The original version is probably my personal favourite, though; it's just a really FUN song that's aged well and she seems to love it.

Last edited:
Yaaaas Caution. The audacity of coming to snatch wigs and trophies almost thirty years into her career. Your fave could never.

And Heartbreaker. Well, what to say, not only was it a classic, it was a moment, it was the culture at the time.

Going back I'm glad to see this list isn't too good to have ABMB. One of the pop singles of the 90s imo.

I hadn't realised the lyrics are quite so desperate.

Last edited:
Anytime You Need A Friend
Music Box

While the production sounds a little dated after almost 30 years, it remains an absolute vocal bible moment and easily her finest gospel song. Those backing vocals are heavenly and the whole thing is so dramatic, yet at the same time very comforting. Written and produced with Walter A, it was released as the fifth and final single from Music Box, peaking at #12 in the US and #8 in the UK.

It's not quite the favourite for me that it is for you girls. Although I will say that when it popped up in the last episode of Pose, I screamed. I think my favourite version is the more slinky Soul Convention mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom