What's your Janet Jackson top 20? (2020 edition)

Suedey

Long Snake Moan
I won't pretend I'm a Janet expert but this is how I rank her albums:

1. The Velvet Rope
2. janet.
3. Rhythm Nation 1814
4. Damita Jo
5. Control
6. Unbreakable
7. All for You
8. Discipline

20 Y.O. - I don't know her
Janet Jackson - I don't know her
Dream Street - I don't know her

Ellie

Super talented triple threat
Ooh, very close to mine:

1. janet.
  2. Rhythm Nation 1814
  3. The Velvet Rope
  4. Damita Jo
  5. Control
  6. Discipline
  7. Janet Jackson
  8. Unbreakable
  9. All for You
  10. Dream Street
  11. 20 Y.O.

Control is let down by a couple of awful fillers (Start Anew should have been on it). 20 Y.O. seriously doesn’t have one redeemable song for me. One of the all time worst records by ANY big star. Even some of the dirge Prince shat out in his Jazz Fusion period at least had one or two listenable tracks.

Suedey

Long Snake Moan
Damita Jo is so underrated. Fuck you white America and your Superbowl outrage shit!

She should never have apologised.

POP!

FREE BRITNEY
1. The Velvet Rope
2. janet.
3. Rhythm Nation 1814
4. Damita Jo
5. Control
6. All for You
7. Unbreakable (haven't listened to it enough tbh but I remembered enjoying most of it albeit without much standing out)
8. Discipline
9. 20 Y.O. (some terrible JD influence here, and it hasn't aged well, but I like two and a half songs ish)

I haven't heard the first two albums in full. If they are on streaming, maybe I will relisten to the whole discog. I am in a bit of a JANET MOOD since this thread.

ameraal

la loi de murphy
there are days when i think miss you much is my favourite song ever and today is one of those days.

can't quite believe it still sounds so sharp and tight. tremendous.

also, where are @monsta's janft classics? :evil:

monsta

CAUGHT YOUR FEVER
there are days when i think miss you much is my favourite song ever and today is one of those days.

can't quite believe it still sounds so sharp and tight. tremendous.

also, where are @monsta's janft classics? :evil:

Jesus I need to get on this! It’s like choosing between secret illegitimate children!

Sheena

Hang on to your chair, dearie...
1. janet.
2. Rhythm Nation 1814
3. Control
4. The Velvet Rope
5. Damita Jo
6. Unbreakable
7. All For You
8. Janet Jackson
9. Discipline
10.Dream Street
11.20 Y.O.

Last edited:

Sheena

Yes, same. Maybe it’s my/our age though. I remember hearing about her and Rhythm Nation being shown on TOTP/The Chart Show one time, which was the first time I realised Michael Jackson had a singing sister. I know her first album was in 1982 and of course knew them all later, but when people refer to Janet as one of the 1980s superstars alongside Madonna and Whitney, it doesn’t register as she was far more of star in the 90s. It’s definitely a case of personal perception though as she clearly played concert arenas for the RN1814 tour. I was just too young and more in to New Kids on the Block at the time :eyes:

I don’t necessarily agree. Control was everywhere at the time and Rhythm Nation 1814 was bigger than the singles suggested over here. The singles all got lots of airplay. I think the fact she didn’t come here to promote (at all? Or much at the very least) could give that perception though.

Sheena

Was she in some kind of dispute with the record label during janet? Looking back it’s a bit odd that they only really properly promoted two of the singles, after coming off a strategy of releasing almost the entire album of Control and Rhythm Nation. They also only included 2 tracks from it on the greatest hits a couple years later. Ironic given the album had about 9 potential singles.

Huh? They released seven singles from .janet, all with fairly big budget videos, she had six US top tens from it, they did a remix album and they also released a couple of additional songs to radio and clubs.

Ellie

Super talented triple threat
I don’t necessarily agree. Control was everywhere at the time and Rhythm Nation 1814 was bigger than the singles suggested over here. The singles all got lots of airplay. I think the fact she didn’t come here to promote (at all? Or much at the very least) could give that perception though.
Definitely an age thing. I don’t remember Control at all as I was too young. But True Blue and Whitney’s debut for example which I was also too young to recall when they were out, they continued to reach my age group just a couple of years later, whereas Janet was just about what she was currently doing.

Sheena

I adored Control and had it on vinyl, but then I was into music rather young (I was 8). It really is wall to wall greatness- I even love the ridiculousness of “He Doesn’t Know I’m Alive”.

ameraal

la loi de murphy
Definitely an age thing. I don’t remember Control at all as I was too young. But True Blue and Whitney’s debut for example which I was also too young to recall when they were out, they continued to reach my age group just a couple of years later, whereas Janet was just about what she was currently doing.

one of my earliest music memories is a bootleg vhs with music videos and janet's nasty was on it. it was so exciting. on the flip side, the one one i remember vividly is u2's i still haven't found what i'm looking for - i think it was back to back with nasty. i was always like oh this is nice but i'll rewind/ff.

ameraal

la loi de murphy
I adored Control and had it on vinyl, but then I was into music rather young (I was 8). It really is wall to wall greatness- I even love the ridiculousness of “He Doesn’t Know I’m Alive”.

did we know there's a blood orange/solange take on it? how did i not? bit of an oddity there...

anyway, came to post the (cute) new look cover.

Suedey

Long Snake Moan
A very slight re-jig since August as I've been in a major miss JANET. mood.

1. The VELVET ROPE
2. janet.
3. Rhythm Nation 1814
4. Damita Jo
5. Unbreakable
6. Control
7. Discipline
8. All for You

The top 3 is up there with the very best pop albums by anyone really.

4-6 are good/very good - and yes I realise my CONTROL placement is slightly controversial...

7 & 8 are patchy.

I don't know the others and I don't really feel like I need to.

Mike(y) W

User
My Top 20

1. This Time
  2. That's The Way Love Goes
  3. If
  4. The Pleasure Principle (video mix)
  5. What About
  6. Nasty
  7. Throb
  8. Can't Be Stopped
  9. The Great Forever
  10. R&B Junkie
  11. All Nite (Don't Stop)
  12. What Have You Done For Me Lately
  13. Escapade
  14. Together Again
  15. Got Til It's Gone
  16. Rhythm Nation
  17. Feedback
  18. No Sleeep
  19. And On And On
  20. I Want You

Mike(y) W

User
I think I might change number twenty to 'Rope Burn'. I'd quite forgotten how much I love that track. Next task is the albums ranking, which is never as difficult as the singles.

Mike(y) W

User
01. The Velvet Rope
02. janet.
03. Rhythm Nation 1814
04. Control
05. Unbreakable
06. Damita Jo
07. All For You
08. Janet Jackson
09. 20 Y.O.
10. Discipline