where do you get your news?

ameraal

la loi de murphy
obviously how/where you get your news from matters and the (not at all far-fetched) proposition that watching stupid makes you stupid (and more likely to vote for populists) is starting to get some academic support, the question is perhaps more relevant than ever.

i'm genuinely curious cause honestly have no idea how people here stay informed. so much so that i can't start a poll for fear of missing out on something obvious/relevant. maybe we can do a poll after some intial responses.

(i promise to not to target you in any marketing campaigns based on your answer.)

here comes the hook.

i've caught myself watching the last few broadcasts by democracy now exclamation point and enjoying their news selection. i like the flow.

before i would check out the drudge report (i know, i know) almost daily, the guardian every couple of days and a local publication (pretty much the only proper print media here that has any journalistic integrity) every other week.

Last edited:
I read Dagens Nyheter (center/liberal) and Svenska Dagbladet (right) on a daily basis, also read and sometimes watch news on SVT (Swedish public service).
Also follow/read The Times, New York Times, CNN, The Guardian and Politico Europe.

oh, us late night talk shows too. i probably watch colbert most (not even sure why? probably has the most interest guests for me), but also sometimes seth meyers, more rarely john oliver.

I’m absolutely addicted to Real Time with Bill Maher. He’s funny and I share most of his views, and there are always interesting guests and good debates. (Once you get used to Bill interrupting his guests)

John Oliver can be fun too.

oh and after several attempts over the years i got into twitter for a hot minute a few months ago, just following a few media outlets, journalists and "thinkers". i think it was my old phone's incompatibility with a few of the sites and its infuriating slowness that made me give it up.

Last edited:
DLF (national/international news - current affairs radio station) on the drive to work and back. 30 minutes each way and my morning commute is usually during their 20 minute news followed by their 10 minute browse across national/international papers. It's perfect.

And then usually a browse across one or two newspapers during lunch break.

Varying from daily to a few times a month The Guardian, NY Times, Libération, The Economist, Vox, a handful of journalists/wonks on Twitter.

Post-2016 I'm nowhere near the news and politics junkie I used to be though.

Also I had no idea The Drudge Report still existed. What on earth possessed you?

I tried with Twitter for a while but I just don’t like/understand the format, too much going on all the time and people too woke.

Obviously Twitter is a load of old shit featuring a constant parade of dismal windbags who no-one in real life actually wants to listen to, let alone LIKE, but surely it’s better to be TOO WOKE than some sort of Trumpette or, worse, Borisette

Personally I like to find out all the latest news in my weekly Titbits and also Bunty and PLAYGIRL

I scan BBC every morning. I know that's probably a shit answer, but it's quick and easy.

Reuters, Wall Street Journal and The Economist are my favorites because I find them to be generally neutral which is how quality journalism is supposed to be.

I actually also find Wikipedia quite useful too.

DR (Danish national broadcast for the quick overview), Altinget (strictly news on politics, written for government officials and the like so really dry), Weekendavisen (weekly newspaper, often a bit too centre/liberal for my liking but maybe that's exactly why I read it, also they have the best book and tech sections)

obviously I stumble across the occasional Guardian or NY Times article or the like but I don't actively seek them out

quite SCANT really

Being at war with virtually the entire printed media makes this increasingly difficult. I'm still likely to start with the BBC and look for deeper insights via people I follow on Twitter for such things.

BBC, Guardian and the local paper daily. We normally have the BBC News on TV in the background if there's nowt else on, which is increasingly often. Honestly during those Brexit debates earlier this year it was better than any TV drama.

Force of habit I have BBC Breakfast on in the morning for an hour while waking up/getting ready.

Sometimes watch C4 news if I'm feeling thirsty for more televisual updates, I read the Guardian, BBC News, The Independent and then anything from Apple News mixed bag that catches my eye. I also follow a few outlets on social like The New European, The Morning Star (death to the bourgeois) The London Economic etc. after that I'll click on stuff on twitter when I'm not avoiding it and all its misery.

Twitter - not that I actively follow any political sources, but twitter just throws them at you. I probably find myself on the Guardian or the New Yorker website more often than any other news outlets. I sometimes watch things on Youtube by VOX and Contrapoints and stuff like that. If I was going to watch the news on TV, I would probably watch it on Channel 4.

I have the Guardian and BBC apps on my phone which I look at to varying degrees every day. And also a Samsung news app which collated stories from all sorts of sources which makes me kid myself I'm getting a balanced view.

And the National Enquirer.

I actively try and avoid the news at the moment because it all makes me irrationally angry. I'll leave it on the radio if it comes on (usually Radio X or Absolute 80s so dumbed down for the great unwashed) while I'm driving. Other than that the local news websites are the only ones I look at. Obviously Twitter lets me know if there's something national or international going on that I need to know about.

Mainly the BBC website and telly (Breakfast and Beyond 100 Days) and the Guardian website as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom