Who are the Big Pop Girls in 2019?

sidebar: i'm always amused how proud people seem to be of themselves for not hearing of something/someone.

curiosity found dead (listening to madame x).

It has nothing to do with pride, I’m personally just generally amazed at how clueless I am nowadays when it comes to this subject.

Amazed by the "Billie Who?" chat. Do y'all listen to anything other than glitzy disco pop? She has a huge single and album in the UK and has done for a couple of months now and Moopy scratches its head and cums another bucketload over Carly Rae Onehit.

Amazed by the "Billie Who?" chat. Do y'all listen to anything other than glitzy disco pop? She has a huge single and album in the UK and has done for a couple of months now and Moopy scratches its head and cums another bucketload over Carly Rae Onehit.

yeah, cause commercial success is the most relevant reason why you should investigate an artist. and coming from you of all people.

yeah, cause commercial success is the most relevant reason why you should investigate an artist. and coming from you of all people.

Oh come off it - it was the "never heard of her" responses that prompted that. I find it bizarre that people who rake every corner of the globe looking for audio thrills would be genuinely unaware of her existence.

i read that as "people need to listen to billie eilish because she's had a huge album/single whereas they shouldn't care about carly rae cause she's had one hit" and i was more surprised than anything.

what's even more baffling to me is that people here (who supposedly care about music more than avergae joe) still seem to rely on radio/tv/advertising to hear new artists rather than simply going in a thread and giving someone they've never heard of a chance. i mean there's been a thread on eilish here since march 2017.

Exactly. "Never heard of her". Good for you, Spotify is right there.

05 Lady Gaga - hard to place her stock as a popstar given that A Star Is Born was an MOR-baiting side project which could exist in isolation or might feed back into her comeback, but she did just have a global #1 single and album so the omens seem good for her, in much the same way as Katy (only Gaga seems likelier to fuck it up)
She's working with Rami Yacoub so I think she means business.

I thought this was about the biggest pop girls, which I took as being commercially bankable? Maybe because it seemed to come off the back of the Taylor thread

Weirdly Camila Cabello COULD be a big pop girl, but her label for some reason refused to release any obvious singles after Havana :D

It's amazing that her debut album could have an a pretty strong run of singles Havana - NBT Same - She Loves Control - Into It
Are they not aware of banking hits whilst people still care (ie. the Dua Lipa strategy)

TALKING of Dua Lipa, v interested for her second album. Sadly she seems to have been quickly forgotten already.

Swan Song wasn't exactly confidence-inspiring either, completely bombing as a stand alone single that clearly had label investment (it wasn't very good tho lets be honest).

TALKING of Dua Lipa, v interested for her second album. Sadly she seems to have been quickly forgotten already.
I don't think she is? I mean she literally had one of the biggest hits of last year, won a Grammy for another collab, has put out soundtrack singles and K-pop duets to keep her name out there and is apparently back with her own stuff before the end of the year. I'm no Dua fanboy but I see no evidence for this particular CLAIM

Exactly. "Never heard of her". Good for you, Spotify is right there.

Not everyone is subscribed to streaming services.

Personally I’m not actively looking for any new music unless it’s new releases by already established artists that I historically like, but I do generally follow what’s happening in pop culture. Films and theatre more than anything, but while I’ve never seen Game of Thrones for instance, it’s so inescapable to the point that I have a passing knowledge of what it is and why it is so popular. Not so with a lot of music acts.

I don't think she is? I mean she literally had one of the biggest hits of last year, won a Grammy for another collab, has put out soundtrack singles and K-pop duets to keep her name out there and is apparently back with her own stuff before the end of the year. I'm no Dua fanboy but I see no evidence for this particular CLAIM

A quick glance at her insta reveals nearly all her posts get 1 million+ likes, so FAIR ENOUGH tbh :D

I'm always rooting for Dua and her incredible rise against the odds, VERY much hoping album 2 isn't a disappointing pop flop.

Billie Eilish feels like the biggest new popstar in years to me BUT I'm aware that nowadays the way we all consume culture is so fragmented and personalised that it'd be easy to miss stars who would have been unavoidable once upon a time (except Ed Sheeran).

I've totally missed her, I have to admit! I'm aware that's on me, though :tongueout:

Billie Eilish is huge, it's just that music is really weirdly culturally sidelined these days. What was the last truly inescapable massive, all-pervading, referenced everywhere hit? I genuinely don't feel like there's been one for years. Hello? Uptown Funk? Happy?

Billie Eilish is huge, it's just that music is really weirdly culturally sidelined these days. What was the last truly inescapable massive, all-pervading, referenced everywhere hit? I genuinely don't feel like there's been one for years. Hello? Uptown Funk? Happy?
Shallow.

I actually think Shallow might be the most recent 'everybody's heard this' song just because it hit so many demographics and cultural moments.

Shallow wasn't all-pervading by any means in quite the same way as the others, I don't think, but I suppose being attached to a film gave it a lot of spread in that regard.

I haven't heard Lil Nas X either!
What was the last truly inescapable massive, all-pervading, referenced everywhere hit? I genuinely don't feel like there's been one for years. Hello? Uptown Funk? Happy?
I love that I thought you meant Leona's Happy for a second :D

i read that as "people need to listen to billie eilish because she's had a huge album/single whereas they shouldn't care about carly rae cause she's had one hit" and i was more surprised than anything.

It wasn't even really a jibe - there are pages and pages about her here despite her relatively low commercial profile which represents a deeper dive into an artist of a type now lesser spotted in the wild.

New Rules was surely the last world conquering referenced everywhere hit... it was huge globally.

Regretably Despacito, Shape Of You and This Is Me also fit this definition.

Ok so since this apparently turned out to be such a controversial subject and anyone who hasn’t heard of someone known is an ignorant, illiterate and only listens to glitzy disco music, I’d like to explain myself:

Just like Ellie said, I rarely seek out new pop music, and I rarely hear new pop music that I like and that makes me want to listen more either. I rarely ever have time to listen to music and when I do I mostly listen to either techno or classic music. Even more often, I prefer SILENCE.

And I can reveal that the only Billie song I listened to on Spotify yesterday came up today during our midsummer party and I recognized it and told everyone this is the new Britney. I felt so cool. :)

Upsettingly, only top ten in the US :(
Number 16 on the Billboard year end chart though. So it's chart peak makes it look less popular than it actually was, as is often tge case in the static streaming era! Globally it must have been one of the biggest songs of the past 2 years. I cba looking but I imagine the youtube views & spotify plays must be one of the highest.... and that has to be factored into what a 'hit' is these days surely. Not just the chart position

Darling, you had to google Michael Rice during Eurovision week, it's not like if you don't have your own bubble. :side-eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom