who are your favourite (and least) talk show hosts

ameraal

la loi de murphy
who do you need? who do you love? are you for sure?

inspired by my love for myers, growing disdain for fallon and completely going off colbert, here's my (very us-centric) list of preferences of talk show hosts. who are you watching and why?

favourite:

01 seth myers - he's funny and smart
02 graham norton - best celebrity talk show host for sure
03 conan o'brien - i don't watch him as much as i should
04 john oliver - he brings up interesting topics

least favourite:

01 wendy williams - tabloid sad woman trash
02 andy cohen - tabloid rubbish gai trash
03 james corden - cringey suck up
04 whoopi goldberg (and the rest of the view really) - out of touch, entitled, ignorant, pandering
05 ellen - the unpopular, deeply desperate for approval kid at school who never outgrows it
06 jimmy fallon - i like him as a person but the gimmickry is painful
07 trevor noah - seems like a nice person but i find him overrated and insipid, his ingenue charm is completely lost on me.

are there any decent women out there? i just can't get into samantha bee...

Favourite:
- Bill Maher
- John Oliver

(The few bits I’ve seen, with celebrity guests with Jimmy Fallon were fine... that interview with Nicole Kidman from a couple of years was really cute....but I don’t watch the show)

Hate:
Wendy Williams
Andy Cohen

... and all other trash tv talk shows.

oh Wendy Williams is TRASH Alright but she's always a guilty pleasure, I cannot look away

see also Alan Carr, love him for all the wrong reasons.

is carr still on? i think he is lovely.

i don't have great deal of an impression of bill maher, he seems to be quite divisive.

I like Seth Meyers, Wendy Williams and John Oliver. I guess I can add Andy to this list.

I despise the misogynistic islamophobic Bill Maher and he physically repulses me whenever I have to accidentally see him on hbo.

I wanted to give James Corden a chance but good god he’s unbearable. I hate most other US late night hosts, they’re all weak sauce.

I don't think I watch any talk shows these days - the closest would be Frankie Boyle's New World Order.

Jonathan Ross's original Channel 4 show, The Last Resort, was genuinely successful at bringing the US format to the UK - before him, it was Pebble Mill and Wogan. At peak, he was getting genuinely impressive guests like Paul McCartney and pulling off stunts like doing a show from a (moving) train.
I always enjoyed Clive Anderson too.

I don’t really watch them anymore either, but if i was to bother it’d be for Graham Norton.

Jonathan Ross is terrible.

Jonathan Ross is terrible.

oh he really is. every single interview I've watched from a celebrity I sort of like he is disrespectful to them but I dunno if he's just pandering/trolling them

I don't think trolling is Ross's style, at least in face to face interview. I don't dislike him as such, but it all feels very going through the motions and tired. And there is often a chasm between the quality of guest he gets compared to Norton.

I have very little idea what Ross is like now, having only watched YouTube clips of him interviewing James Acaster and Katherine Ryan (separately) - he pretty much fed them lines with which they could show off their comic personae.

Off the top of my head

O1. Wendy Williams - sad woman trash :disco:

02. Lezza Gibbons - she's the "people often ask me about affordable beauty treatments" of 90s USA and I brought she and Emma Forbes together on twitter, which was a real moment
03. Julia Bradbury - Exclusive
04. Vanessa Feltz - ooh man she loves the cake and she loves to talk (and I love it)
05. Ruth Langsford - she'll feel threatened by anyone without cellulite and poor Eamon only gets it once a week if he slates Megan enough
06. Elaine Paige - choking on booze as she laughs at something she can't even remember
07. Josie D'arby - quite frankly
08. Jane McDonald - she'll waltz on stage in fur and sequins, and then fart. Ooh er, etc
09. Graham Norton - he probably does it better than anybody
10. Clive James - close your eyes, easily the most pleasingly ruthless

Once you clock it you won’t be able to not notice but Jonathan Ross does the same thing Jay Leno did. Whenever he asks a question, he’ll quickly reword it straight away and ask the question twice. I can’t stand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom