Who is your favourite radio presenter?

ZenGiraffe

Who is SHE though?
Pronouns
He/Him
I think I would say Scott Mills. Most of features are quite fun, and he is clearly actually good at the skill of being on the radio, which is something a lot of people, especially the ones who get brought in from TV, just can't quite manage.

Also, welcome to the Podcasts and Radio forum! Let's hope it doesn't flop!

I don’t listen to the radio in Ireland but when I lived in London I enjoyed Scott, Victoria Derbyshire and I loved Richard Bacon’s show too actually

in a CROSSOVER MOMENT with the podcast genre, I used to love Kermode & Mayo’s Film Review but haven’t been listening at all during COVID

the single worst person I have ever heard on the radio is Edith Bowman

I haven't listened to the radio since lockdown as it was only ever something I used while commuting. I'm probably about to get hung drawn and quartered but Radio X was my breakfast show du choix, but it was much more music-led than DJ led. While I didn't mind Chr*s M*yles it was the team around him that really sold it to me. My opinion of him has changed since lockdown though. :)

I used to like Radio 2 but the Zoe Ball breakfast show was really poor. Too much focus on "funny" listener stories and kids singing. If I ever go back to commuting I'll give something like Radio 6 a go.

I liked Chris Moyles during his Radio 1 breakfast days, but I tried with his Radio X stuff but it just wasn't working for me. What's happened through lockdown?

My big problem with Radio 2 (and Scott Mills on 5 Live) is children. I have no interest whatsoever in them when they contribute, and half the time I find them genuinely aggravating and have to turn it off. But this really isn't one of my most surprising opinions.

I liked Chris Moyles during his Radio 1 breakfast days, but I tried with his Radio X stuff but it just wasn't working for me. What's happened through lockdown?
Nothing specific. Just I'm not listening to his show so all I'm seeing is the Facebook/Twitter updates which are so blatantly catered to lads/gammons/oasis fans I just can't. It's like all the bad bits of the show highlighted in one handy update without any of the humour I used to enjoy!

Radcliffe & Maconie, now CRUELLY shifted to weekend mornings so I have to listen on catch up :(

I'm so glad he's finally got the slot he's been eyeing up for years now. And that I'll never be in a position to accidentally hear Steve Wright ever again.
Oh that STUPID theme tune at the beginning of the show that he is still using from his Radio 1 days :argh:

Last edited:
I scrolled too fast and thought Scott Mills was the person in the video thumbnail :D

Surprised Scott Mills won't be presenting on Radio 1 well into his 50s. He's seemed like a decrepit try hard for years, desperately latching onto his long gone youth.

He even outlasted Nick Grimshaw which is saying something.

If any of this means that I will no longer have to put up with Scott Mills trying to run Popmaster whilst sitting in for Ken Bruce then I am on board.

I CAN'T FUCKING STAND SCOTT MILLS. I was really hoping when Radio 1 pensioned him off he'd just go to some commercial station in the arse end of obscurity (ala Chris Moyles) and we'd never have to hear from him again. Or see his face at the Eurovision semis. (Although that's not as bad because I'm absolutely fascinated by the work he's had done so I'll never miss a chance to gawp.)

The only good radio presenters in this country are Lauren Laverne, Shaun Keaveny, Sara Cox, Liza Tarbuck and Mark Radcliffe. I'm still raging that 6Music binned Keaveny off from afternoons when on weekdays alone his glorious show was surrounded by the eminently bin-able Mary Anne Hobbs (a woman who sounds BORED BY HER OWN EXISTENCE and is incapable of playing a tune) and boring uncle Steve Lamacq.

Also, shoutout to Zoe Ball. Truly dreadful in that breakfast slot. She seems to know about 10 words (and two of them are 'my darling') and has absolutely no wit or ability to make her enthusiasm for everything sounds genuine. I don't know what R2 were thinking by giving her that show over Coxy.

What’s Dr Fox doing now? I miss the Pepsi Chart.

He’s probably a remainer isn’t he?

I'm still raging that 6Music binned Keaveny off from afternoons when on weekdays alone his glorious show was surrounded by the eminently bin-able Mary Anne Hobbs (a woman who sounds BORED BY HER OWN EXISTENCE and is incapable of playing a tune) and boring uncle Steve Lamacq.
Agreeing the FUCK out of this

Although I'm still MORE annoyed about their treatment of RadMac

I like Lauren in the morning on 6, I like the guy before her whose name I forget.

Dumping Keaveny for CRAIG FUCKING CHARLES was a grevious error.

I also agree that Zoe Ball is utterly dull. She mistakes endless excitement over nothing for personality. I personally need Cox in the morning. She's probably my favourite person on British radio.

Last edited:
i used to love listening to Alan and Mel on a saturday morning.

Dermot O'Leary is the absolute worst - he just mumbles!

Is Jo Whiley still a thing? I can’t express my joy at having to listen to her at work every day in the mid-00s. Oh you knew the Arctic Monkeys before they were famous did you, Jo? Why don’t you cunt on about it every chance you get?

So I do strangely enjoy Jo too. At secondary school I'd walk home for lunch and have basically 15 minutes to make my tomatoe soup and toast and would listen to her show, which would always be the showbiz section with some guy of whom I would later meet at some media thing at the University of Glasgow and when chatting to him with my friend, I'd done hospital radio before and he basically slammed me down and said my voice was "too passive" and my immediate response of "that's rich coming from you" resulted in the drop of a smile that still puts one immediately on my face just thinking about it. Anyway, someone really needs to put all of Jo's channel 4 TV show on YouTube - it was essential and yes, MJB debuting her Xtina hand kiss story, all but rolling her eyes ar a VT of Gabrielle doing acapella and responding to H explaining his songwriting process by saying "there's some bull in here" will always be the episode I refer to for evidence of this (Sinead O'Connor biting her toenails a close 2nd).

This thread did make me google Susie McGuire and the hot mess continues to not disappoint. Following her career surviving domestic violence and threats to kill her ex and his girlfriend, she appears to have finally killed something anyway by making some sort of sectarian chant and posting about it on social media - always good when the trash takes itself out, etc.

So that leaves Vanessa and Elaine as my favourite blabbermouth and boozy blabbermouth respectively.

I like Jo too. Jeremy Vine is fine on TV but absolutely idiotic on the radio.

It's probably for weird BBC Charter reasons, but I dislike Vine's show and don't understand why the Radio 2 daytime schedule has to be:

Cheery chat and nice songs for middle aged people
AWFUL PEOPLE CALLING IN TO VOICE THEIR SHITTY OPINIONS

Talk about a sore thumb. Keep that shit to TalkRadio and LBC please.

What’s Dr Fox doing now? I miss the Pepsi Chart.

He’s probably a remainer isn’t he?
Wikipedia:

"In January 2021 Neil began hosting the weekday Drivetime show 4-7pm, well as The Heritage Chart on Sundays 5-7pm on London’s DAB station, nation radio"...also: He took over the Breakfast show in April 2021, following the departure of Read" - Read being Mike Read, who was one of the founders of Nation Radio. Add to that... "In August 2014 Fox was one of 200 public figures who were signatories to a letter to The Guardian opposing Scottish independence in the run-up to September's referendum on that issue" and I think it's unlikely he's a remainer. :D

I hardly listen to the radio these days but when I do it's Marc Riley on 6Music. The boss.

Wikipedia:

"In January 2021 Neil began hosting the weekday Drivetime show 4-7pm, well as The Heritage Chart on Sundays 5-7pm on London’s DAB station, nation radio"...also: He took over the Breakfast show in April 2021, following the departure of Read" - Read being Mike Read, who was one of the founders of Nation Radio. Add to that... "In August 2014 Fox was one of 200 public figures who were signatories to a letter to The Guardian opposing Scottish independence in the run-up to September's referendum on that issue" and I think it's unlikely he's a remainer. :D

I don’t know if I was in a rush or something but I MEANT to say Brexiteer, but unfortunately said the exact opposite word :D

It's Scott Mills' last week this week, and they've brought back some old features (sadly not Flirt Divert). Most excitingly, Becky is on tomorrow, my absolutely favourite person who Scott has worked with!!

It's Scott Mills' last week this week, and they've brought back some old features (sadly not Flirt Divert). Most excitingly, Becky is on tomorrow, my absolutely favourite person who Scott has worked with!!
He really did go downhill with Chris. In total agreement Becky is amazing :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom