Who will be the 2020 Democratic nominee?

How bad could it be...? (Quite!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the Democrats must be forced to change and withholding the left vote (or youth vote, or whatever) is the only obvious way to do that.

that's the thing though, that doesn't seem to work - a lot of people didn't vote for clinton in 2016 and they're going for more of the same again. i honestly don't think they'll "learn their lesson" and that's why i'm so conflicted if i would vote for biden if i were in the hellish position of being an american in a swing state.

i guess the silver lining is all those progressives slowly winning a place in government who will hopefully be able to make change happen from within.

sidebar: just a hypothetical, i know the president needs party support to do anything, but how do we think sanders would fare as a third-party candidate against trump/biden?

that's the thing though, that doesn't seem to work - a lot of people didn't vote for clinton in 2016 and they're going for more of the same again. i honestly don't think they'll "learn their lesson" and that's why i'm so conflicted if i would vote for biden if i were in the hellish position of being an american in a swing state.

i guess the silver lining is all those progressives slowly winning a place in government who will hopefully be able to make change happen from within.

I don't know what else would work. An American workers' party of some sort might be a good idea for the long-term. I don't have a huge amount of faith in AOC and her ilk, I think they could be absorbed into the mainstream Democratic Party fairly easily (maybe less so for Omar and Tlaib).

I ultimately don't see what the point is of crowing that Sanders has moved the party to the left if you don't pocket your gains where they happen and vote for the candidate that's running on a platform of a $15 minimum wage and a public option for healthcare.

Because the left have no faith that the gains they've supposedly made are actually going to be delivered.

Card check, the Obamacare public option, coming out of Afghanistan... there is a record for this type of thing.

So in short, there isn't actually anything that would persuade you to support Biden, because endorsements from left leaders and policies don't seem to do it. Great leverage, that.

Really the only small relief here is that this is probably a very slim minority position.

So in short, there isn't actually anything that would persuade you to support Biden, because endorsements from left leaders and policies don't seem to do it. Great leverage, that.

Really the only small relief here is that this is probably a very slim minority position.

The leaders don't have the leverage in an election, it's the one occasion where the voters do.

There are people who don't trust Biden's record on these issues, possibly enough to swing an election. I can see why a lot of them have lost faith in the Democrats. And they're not all rose emoji accounts on Twitter, as loud as that slim minority may be.

As you like to point out, I'm not an American, but no, I wouldn't vote for Joe Biden either.

Bernie "pushing Biden left" is just as much nonsense as Warren "pushing Biden left", I wasn't making that argument anyway.

So just to be clear, you'd take four more years of Trump over a Biden win at this point?

We need a new poll. Or maybe two. Is Biden going to beat Trump, and would you vote for him?

It all just feels a bit awful but I’d at least hope after the coronavirus meltdown Trump will be out of office. Anything to get him out would be ideal.

So just to be clear, you'd take four more years of Trump over a Biden win at this point?

I'll take eight years of Howie Hawkins :)

I don't think there would be much difference, either option would be crippled legislatively by the other party and Biden's court appointments would all be bipartisan moderates (ie. economic conservatives). Biden probably has more room to "pragmatically" cut welfare like they tried with the Grand Bargain in 2011, whereas Trump would rightfully spark outcry if he tried the same thing. Whoever wins, the working class loses.

I suppose I can see the point of voting Democrat in the House and Senate, if Trump was on track to win.

Reactions: COB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom