Who will be the 2020 Democratic nominee?

How bad could it be...? (Quite!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We all have our interests :weed: If your kind want to spend your Sunday nights calling each other perverts for rating one Latvian Eurovision entry in sixth place instead of seventh, then that's your business.
I FEEL VERY ATTACKED!

Seriously though Mu, I love your democratic primaries updates, as biased as Fox New, but I like them.

I enjoy them too - when I'm not being accused of being a closet Tory for not drinking the Corbyn/Sanders coolade, anyway. :)

Thanks :) To be honest, if you think that me critiquing liberalism equals me calling you a Tory then you've proved my point.

I'm not interested in the solo Moopyrate this thread has turned into, but I will say this:

@Ag - do you have anything to share, or are you going to just carry on liking every post that criticises or disagrees with me, like you have for the last year or so? Watch him, you can set a clock by it.

The eye rolls from Bloomberg when Warren is on the attack :D

she owned him.

WHO thought it was a good idea to let Mike attend that debate? The DNC changed the rules for him but he'd have been far better off staying home :D

Ooh, can I get free likes by criticising Mugatu?

I'm feeling a bit politically disengaged at the moment, so that's just about all that I have to add to this.

We’ve all thought the DNC were corrupt by letting Bloomberg on to the stage. But they might have just done everyone a favour by killing his campaign stone dead.

I know it’s difficult to keep up between the delete me thread and the kala vs the Eurovision mafia :(

Sorry to be the voice of dissent again but why on earth wouldn’t she? Biden as the nominee is the reality now, it’s literally him or Trump.

With Biden’s health and faculties in question, it’s probably more likely than ever that his VP will end up as acting President at some point in the next 4 years. If she gets the job, she’s in a much, much better position to push through her agenda.

Honestly I’m starting to think there’s a large section of the left that are actively only happy when they and their preferred candidates are ineffectually carping from the sidelines :D

the LOOK on Rachel Maddow's face when she spits out that desperado "yes!"

why does Warren look like she's been stung by bees? was karma that immediate?

Warren is gross and awful. So is Kamala, but at least she has some youth on her side and might be an effective operator in office. It's all academic anyway cos Biden sure as shit ain't getting in the White House.

I'm starting to pin my hopes on Oprah 2024.

Sorry to be the voice of dissent again but why on earth wouldn’t she? Biden as the nominee is the reality now, it’s literally him or Trump.

With Biden’s health and faculties in question, it’s probably more likely than ever that his VP will end up as acting President at some point in the next 4 years. If she gets the job, she’s in a much, much better position to push through her agenda.

Honestly I’m starting to think there’s a large section of the left that are actively only happy when they and their preferred candidates are ineffectually carping from the sidelines :D

because integrity? if we discount policy having any importance.

i get the "but she'll infiltrate the system from the inside!" only 1) they won't give her vp and 2) who even knows what she stands for anymore?

Warren is gross and awful. So is Kamala, but at least she has some youth on her side and might be an effective operator in office. It's all academic anyway cos Biden sure as shit ain't getting in the White House.

Have you watched the news this past fortnight? Trump is completely and utterly unravelling.

i get the "but she'll infiltrate the system from the inside!" only 1) they won't give her vp and 2) who even knows what she stands for anymore?

I think she's had to get her hands dirty to stay relevant in the race, absolutely. And I think a lot of her choices have backfired. But unless you genuinely think she's been reprogrammed by GOP illuminati aliens in the past six months, she probably still has a lot of the same core beliefs deep down that she did before you all decided she was Satan's willing whore.

By her own account, Elizabeth Warren literally got into politics because she was so furious at the 2005 bankruptcy bill Joe Biden supported. She didn't have to endorse anyone, but she has and it's the person who's diametrically opposed to her views on the thing she's most passionate about. It's okay to point out the hypocrisy of that! Her campaign also frequently tried to make the point that there was very little difference between her and Sanders on policy, yet she decided to stay in the race long after she was viable rather than drop out in favour of someone whose platform she (apparently) had so much in common with. I don't think it's unreasonable to look at that and wonder how commited to her stated ideals she really was.

And as for OPRAH, yeah, the woman who went on Ellen and laughed about going into a bank to cash a $2 million cheque 'for fun' is really the leftist dream. :D
For once we agree on something! I genuinely do think it'll be hilarious when we finally get the first black female US president and it's a Republican.

By her own account, Elizabeth Warren literally got into politics because she was so furious at the 2005 bankruptcy bill Joe Biden supported. She didn't have to endorse anyone, but she has and it's the person who's diametrically opposed to her views on the thing she's most passionate about. It's okay to point out the hypocrisy of that!

Sorry to bang on, but she has also endorsed THE ONLY PERSON WHO MIGHT BE PRESIDENT NEXT YEAR OTHER THAN DONALD FUCKING TRUMP.

Bernie Sanders has also endorsed Biden now, is he a raging hypocrite now too?

Have you watched the news this past fortnight? Trump is completely and utterly unravelling.
No, I've not been watching the news. I'm just swanning into this thread and commenting blindly. I don't have a clue about anything. Is Trump on tv a lot?!

Jesus.

Yes he is unravelling but the moment Biden has to face him in any kind of head to head it will be over for Joe. Trump is simply too shrewd at exploiting people's weaknesses and on that kind of stage Biden's mental faculties will be horribly exposed. It won't be pretty.

On top of that most people are just focused on not dying right now and i don't think anyone outside of outraged liberals are in much of a mood to get political, which is a major issue for the Dems. On top of that when the US begins to come out of lockdown there will be some degree of economic bounce that Trump will take all the credit for, and people will buy it.

Despite how democratically bankrupt it is I sort of hope the DNC step in and choose somebody else. It's just fundamentally cruel to let this go ahead with Biden steering the ship into the iceberg.

I get it, Democratic politicians are going to endorse the Democratic nominee, but I'm still going to find it disappointing/hypocritical/stupid for whatever reason. Sorry I guess? And yes, Bernie endorsed and I'm disappointed in him.

I get it, Democratic politicians are going to endorse the Democratic nominee, but I'm still going to find it disappointing/hypocritical/stupid for whatever reason. Sorry I guess? And yes, Bernie endorsed and I'm disappointed in him.
So he should have endorsed Trump?

All the Dems should have endorsed their candidate. The reason Warren is a hideous snake has nothing to do with endorsing Bidden now - her moment to prove her colours has long passed.

Sorry to bang on, but she has also endorsed THE ONLY PERSON WHO MIGHT BE PRESIDENT NEXT YEAR OTHER THAN DONALD FUCKING TRUMP.

Bernie Sanders has also endorsed Biden now, is he a raging hypocrite now too?

it's about her timing, vor. everything she has done in this race has been self-serving and nothing ado her "principles".
she is dead to me.

So he should have endorsed Trump?

he should've endorsed him against some policy concessions or at least something more than a fucking taskforce.

what i see as the central problem in the united states is that 8 years of obama paved the way for trump. and biden promises more of that.

Reactions: COB

I'm starting to pin my hopes on Oprah 2024.
Why is she gross and awful?

All the Dems should have endorsed their candidate. The reason Warren is a hideous snake has nothing to do with endorsing Bidden now - her moment to prove her colours has long passed.
Yes. Literally the only good outcome for the left is whatever was good for Daddy Bernie. :rolleyes:

If Elizabeth Warren ends up VP or Treasury Secretary it will be the biggest victory for the US left in decades, and literally all of you would've known this the week before she said Bernie didn't see a woman becoming President in a debate.

Yes. Literally the only good outcome for the left is whatever was good for Daddy Bernie. :rolleyes:
Well it sort of was? Warren had no path to the nomination, the other centrist candidates had dropped out and she knew staying in would split the vote with someone much more viable at that moment, who had momentum after Nevada, and who she claimed to have so much in common with policy-wise. The only thing staying in the race did at that point was divide the progressive vote, and she knew it.

Well it sort of was? Warren had no path to the nomination, the other centrist candidates had dropped out and she knew staying in would split the vote with someone much more viable at that moment, who had momentum after Nevada, and who she claimed to have so much in common with policy-wise. The only thing staying in the race did at that point was divide the progressive vote, and she knew it.
That progressive vote which......didn't line up behind Bernie once she dropped out, was going to do so before then?

She's in the position to now either be next in line for the presidency or actually have a key economic role within it. That's a much bigger win for the left than her endorsing someone who was not going to win the nomination.

I don't know what would have happened and maybe you're right, but by taking the actions (inaction?) she did I really don't think she was helpful to the movement she claimed to be a part of.
She's in the position to now either be next in line for the presidency or actually have a key economic role within it. That's a much bigger win for the left than her endorsing someone who was not going to win the nomination.
I don't agree (I think Elizabeth Warren will do what's best for Elizabeth Warren, rather than 'the left') but I'd be very happy to eat crow on this one!

If Elizabeth Warren ends up VP or Treasury Secretary it will be the biggest victory for the US left in decades, and literally all of you would've known this the week before she said Bernie didn't see a woman becoming President in a debate.

not sure i understand the second part of this (i did suspect warren was teaming up with biden when she attacked sanders in the debate with that bowl of bullshit, if that's what you meant). at any rate, she did split the "progressive" vote and held off dropping out with dark money to intentionally hurt sanders (whether she actually would or not).

as for the first part, that's a mighty big if. i'd be happy to take my contempt down a notch when it happens and she pushes through any decent legislation like the undercover fighter for progressive causes you seem to be implying she is. until then, i have no reason to think she is another in a long line of political sell-outs.

Reactions: COB
Why is she gross and awful?
Cos she doesn't fucking stand for anything other than Elizabeth Warren. Do we really have to explain this? She lost her once-passionate voter base by abandoning the leftist causes she had once championed, decided to make Bernie her mortal enemy, talked shit about him relentlessly in the dying weeks of her campaign to desperately try and claw back her base, took money from the very billionaire-funded super PACs she had vowed in very clear terms never to take money from, stayed in the race too long just to make some kind of point.

She essentially hurt herself by flip-flopping on policy and then seemed to convince herself it was all Bernie's fault. Add in the fact that the causes she claims to champion are at odds with her own background and career path, and then consider that she seems to go whichever way the wind blows - what does it all add up to? A hollow shell of a politician who's no more appealing than awful Gay Pete. Now she's on TV desperately hawking herself as a potential running mate. Just be quiet now and go back to the day job.

I'll try to be substantive. The focus on Bernie and Liz's personal relationship is liberalism and should be avoided, this isn't a soap opera :amlife: :amlife: :amlife:

Warren may be a relatively left-wing member of a potential Biden cabinet, but I don't personally believe she would "push Biden left" economically. We all know a Biden administration would be stacked full of the same Wall Street execs as Obama's cabinet. The Biden camp have also considered big bankers like Jamie Dimon (JPMorgan, pre-massive heart attack) and Larry Fink (BlackRock) for Treasury. Where's the consistency there?

Warren would just be a token pick to throw to the left, the ideological thrust is in completely the other way. The CFPB certainly ended up being pretty toothless, despite all of her bluster. If I were her, I'd just stay in the Senate.

Ultimately, if I were American, I'd vote Green or stay at home. I think Bernie ran a stronger campaign in 2016 and he made several strategic errors this time, which led to a fair defeat, but the Democrats must be forced to change and withholding the left vote is the only obvious way to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom