Wonder Woman: 1984

I loved the first one and super excited for this one. But I'm getting really sick of the shoehorned nostalgia in these big budget films.

The first one was enjoyable for the most part but all fell apart in the big CGI-fest climax. Let's hope that's been avoided this time.

Trailer looks great so I'll definitely give it a shot. The gold-plated suit of armour :D the chic oversized pantsuit :disco:

Slightly better trailer but the Cheetah reveal in the end is very reminiscent of the first film’s climax :square:

OMG :D every shot with Kristen camping it up to the nines looks like an SNL skit! HOW did she get cast in this role? I can't wait!

the story itself looks shit!

This looks dreadful!

I wonder if that iconic version of 'Imagine' will be on the soundtrack..

I guess we can’t just like something in this place.

looks like a normal DC trailer, I liked the first one so hoping this will be good.

I like how they went for an impactful WW84
and then pussied out by explaining in the subtitle :D

here for Kristin the supervillain :D curious casting, I can’t WAIT to see how this turns out.

did they really have to bring back Chris Pine though, I mean they were good together but it had impact when he died (literally). And I’m sure she was still sad about it in Justice League (after 1984)

Yeah you’re gonna have to wait quite a bit as it’s been delayed to Christmas

They should have released it when it was ready instead of delaying it all the time. Such a pity I won't get to see it in a movie theatre.

Oh, I see we can’t. I might just try to torrent it to say a big fuck you to Warner Bros for doing the deal with HBO which is only a US service.

Oh, I see we can’t. I might just try to torrent it to say a big fuck you to Warner Bros for doing the deal with HBO which is only a US service.

Here it’s releasing digitally for rent for $30 I assume the same will be for the UK.

$30 for RENT?:D:goodgrief:
It would have been £5 at the cinema if they were open since they reduced ticket prices during COVID. Even IMAX was just £11, so no fucking way to THAT to watch on my 42” TV with just a cheap sound bar. Do they assume everyone has a 100” surround sound 4K home cinema setup with a family of 6 or something?

Last edited:
the stream rent prices are insane, and who's gonna watch it umpteen times during the 48 hours it's available to you?

give us back Blockbuster :evil:

either way, won't this be on the schedule when cinemas open again anyway, albeit on a smaller scale than a typical release? it's not like there will be a barrage of new-new movies to show post-covid. most big cinemas here had re-runs of old hits during the first wave due to the scarcity of new releases, so can't that just be the case come spring too?

It would have been £5 at the cinema if they were open since they reduced ticket prices during COVID. Even IMAX was just £11, so no fucking way to THAT to watch on my 42” TV with just a cheap sound bar. Do they assume everyone has a 100” surround sound 4K home cinema setup with a family of 6 or something?
It's getting an exclusive 4 week run in cinemas and then going to streaming while giving cinemas the chance to keep showing it (which they surely will). from Deadline:

The studio has now confirmed the film will receive its PVOD release from January 13 after a four-week theatrical run, and will continue to be available for cinemas to program after that date. There’s no HBO Max in the UK so instead WB will be putting the film out through a number of digital retailers, though a representative declined to specify precisely which ones.

The usual suspects would be the likes of Amazon Prime Video, Sky Store, Apple TV, Google Play, YouTube, Virgin Movies, Rakuten TV, BT TV, Microsoft, PlayStation Store, Chili and TalkTalk TV (not an official list). The studio also did not confirm the price point but did say it would be a 48-hour rental.

That stunning fireworks scene alone is enough reason that cinema can't die.

:emoji_flag_il::emoji_flag_il::emoji_flag_il:/:emoji_flag_il::emoji_flag_il::emoji_flag_il::emoji_flag_il::emoji_flag_il:

I may have acquired this illegally because the cinemas here are cancelled now and I really want to see it.
NRLt.gif

6.5/10

SOOOO cheesy. It was like watching "Free Willy". It was all a bit too...FAMILY-ORIENTED.

LOVED all the fight scenes. Especially when Barbara becomes Cheetah and has a tail :disco:

Kristen Wiig was the standout though. I love her comic timing. Seeing her go from nerd to APEX PREDATOR is such a classic superhero story arc.

The Post-Credits scene :D I can't wait.

Well I just finished watching this. Was I bawling by the end of this cheesy movie? MAYBE SO.:zsazsa:

Yes, Kristen Wiig was excellent. My favorite was the first fight scene with Diana, she was so badass in it. That being said I didn't find her transformation believable enough as there should have been more backstory/depth to that. They could have given us more drama, she's got the acting chops for it. The CGI for Cheetah was awful too which is probably why it was all happening in the dark. I didn't like how you can barely recognize it's Kristen.

I think I'd give this a 3.5 at best. I enjoyed the climax of the film but it took some time to get there. Maxwell Lord was a pretty good villain but Diana and whatshisface bored me to tears. Gal Gadot is really quite bland in this role. Kind of like Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. Why can't we get Kristen Bell or someone in these roles FFS?

Last edited:
also, the shoddy editing and cheap sets irked me to no end. also big fat lol that
some random guy was a host for Steve's soul to inhabit and Diana had sex with him, without their consent :D I can relate, I've often felt motivated to revisit my first (white) peen and been forced to make terrible decisions because of that

I do really like Wonder Woman, and I'm hoping this will succeed for the sake of female leads and directors.
THAT BEING SAID :D
Well, it was alright, I don't think it was any worse than another Marvel solo movie sequel. I did question why it had to be in the 80s, but it did sort of work.
I mean it was the height of Wonder Woman fandom, and it gave them a chance for a bit of fan service. And the theme of greed fits that era - I mean the Cold War stuff was there purely to up the ante so it was quite superficial. Was it just an excuse to get everyone in 80s hair and cosplay? (does a 2.5 hour film need a dressing up montage?)

The premise was very clear, even if it was a bit claggy as a concept. I think Gal Gadot is a great fit and does what she needs to do, much more than Batman or Superman for example (maybe because they have been recast so much). Kristin was good, but TBH a lot of the SNL alumni struggle to play different characters. Shy Barbara just felt like standard issue Kristin.

The plot played out fairly predictably, mainly because the key character qualities of the main cast was telegraphed pretty clearly. Yes, he loves his son, Yes she values the truth more than anything. Actually Barbara didn't really get much of a resolution, did she?

I wish they'd stop trying to brand it as WW84, such a weird choice :D

Anyway it was alright, I hope it doesn't flop

Gal Gadot is really quite bland in this role. Kind of like Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. Why can't we get Kristen Bell or someone in these roles FFS?
This is a really good point and something that’s never occurred to me before. They’re all so stoic and noble slash boring

GIVE US A FUNNY ONE FFS :oi:

Anyway this was LUMPEN and criminally long

This is a really good point and something that’s never occurred to me before. They’re all so stoic and noble slash boring

GIVE US A FUNNY ONE FFS :oi:

Anyway this was LUMPEN and criminally long

I sort of like stoic and noble slash boring for Wonder Woman though, I mean she is the princess of Glamazonia or whatever - it makes sense

but yeah I wish Captain Marvel was a bit more fun

I find the preachiness more annoying. I LOVE a good righteous hero (I'm so over 'dArK' brooding anti-heroes), but I don't need her stopping every 5 minutes to deliver a Sunday School lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom