Years & Years - Night Call (3rd album, out now)

Jark

User
four singles in and finally something that's totally undeniable :disco:

Last edited:
That image should have been the standard album cover.

I do like this one quite instantly. It is very The Weeknd, especially in the chorus.

My mum recently quite randomly did make a point of telling me she liked his new one (Sweet Talker). Unfortunately for Olly I wouldn't recommend anyone holding their breath on her buying the album.

out TODAY!

I listened this morning. it's surprisingly strong. the singles really are massive outliers, I have no idea who chose those or why. overall the sound is not so different from the biggest pop moments of the first two records.

Night Call is absolutely blinding! Intimacy, Consequences and Reflection are great too. and Georgia produced Make It Out Alive, which is a lovely quasi-ballad moment.

(don't ask why all the old tracks are tacked on at the end...)

• Haha
Reactions: RJN
Curious to see if there's much interest for this.

That tour still looks wildly optimistic at this point.

(don't ask why all the old tracks are tacked on at the end...)
Presumably so that any streams of the back catalogue will sound towards the sales for this album. Surprised nobody has tried that before.

I hate the HMV “public friendly” one too. Like he’s just bumped face first into the camera.

CB0C32AA-0594-4D95-BF75-0CC82A757540.jpeg

Before even listening, I replaced the cover.

Is "Muscle" censored? It sounds like a word has been silenced.

There is not another King or Shine here (unless you are listening to the no shame edition) but most of it is very solid pop. The title track is a bit of a rush (ooh baby, ring me again), there's something of the Gaga about it. 20 Minutes and Make It Out Alive are quite lovely too. Strange and Unusual is a bit shit - Reflection and Muscle would be better on the main tracklist.

I don't think it is a week of big singles but top of the NMF UK playlist is pretty good for him.

Looking on the Amazon best sellers and, even allowing for heavy Meat Loaf, the album isn't exactly right up there.

I was looking at their chart history the other day I did not realise how big 'If I'm over You' was :o

Listened to a couple of tracks earlier for this, Night Call is a poppy halli-bop, i love his BALLIDS so going to give it all a proper listen this weekend

Last edited:
I think I will give this a spin as well. I don’t suspect it will be an ALBAM’s album but I’m sure there’s a BOP or three in there.

Last edited:
So gave this a little spin on my walk earlier and first impressions are that its decent,

Stand outs where Night Call, Make it Out Alive, and I really liked Strange and Unusual @FetchFugly :o

Strange and Unusual reminds me of Supernaturally by the Appleton Queens :disco:

Need to give it a proper spin and some time, but Sweet Talker is still the 'hit' for me, but i think a good effort

I am really enjoying this album after playing it through a few times this weekend.

Initial standouts were Night Call, Muscle and Intimacy.

Glad this is in the running for #1 its a solid little ALBAM and I had no idea where it was going to chart. I saw Olly posting about the price reduction for a limited time :D

Go ride a horse down old compton street Olly. It worked for Passion! Oh.

good for him, but I wonder how many of the sales were streams of "disk 2"

good for him, but I wonder how many of the sales were streams of "disk 2"
not many! those old songs don't get that many streams and they can't retroactively add streams from before the start of this album cycle.

Reactions: RJN
sales breakdown

11,996 CDs
2,893 streaming
2,194 downloads
2,021 vinyl
1,294 cassette
=20,398

next week's collapse gon be rough :D however 20k is the same first week as Palo Santo, so job done.

I just read on UKmix there were 29 different variants of the album :o

That reminds me - we need a 'which album has the most variants' thread.
Surely that's a Guinness World Book Of Records thing waiting to happen nor??

I just read on UKmix there were 29 different variants of the album :o

Obscene! What a strange act to have that many variants for. I get it for fanbase acts like Kylie and ABBA, but is there really that much demand for 29 versions of an Olly Alexander album?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom