Your favourite Dusty Springfield songs?

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
Seeing as she was lip synced to on Drag Race tonight I thought I'd ask WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE DUSTY SPRINGFIELD SONGS? AND POST THEM.

I semi regularly listen to OUR DUSTY and still have trouble naming my fave songs, as there are just so many and I just end up listening for hours without really knowing what they are. I would name the obvious hits but SO MANY are obvious. She really is a rare British 60s icon you can appreciate still in 2021 without hating everything about them.

An old topic tells me that I had the same problem back in 2006.

Come home @lolly

While you're all stuck in Moldova I'm just gonna post Dusty songs.

We have a lot of QUITE SMALL Dusty topics. I didn't spot that one on a search

https://www.moopy.co.uk/threads/a-la-springfield-top-50.44200/

Eventually found it. Not putting Dusty in the thread title wasn't helpful.

https://www.moopy.co.uk/threads/a-la-springfield-top-50.44200/

Eventually found it. Not putting Dusty in the thread title wasn't helpful.
A lesson SOME QUEENS could learn. Either way she's deserving a brand new small topic.

A couple of my faves that haven't been posted, some obvious and some a little less so

and of course...

The swift backflip of Aretha turning it down then quickly recording a version once it became a hit :D

A couple of my faves that haven't been posted, some obvious and some a little less so

and of course...

The swift backflip of Aretha turning it down then quickly recording a version once it became a hit :D

I remember my Sociology A-level teacher falsely claiming that Dusty had stolen it from Aretha as an example of a white act getting the hit deserved by a black artist, I obviously didn't know better at the time.

Obviously there were plenty of cases of this happening, but Dusty generally was above such things unlike a lorra lorra other 60s Brit girls...

I think I want some Dusty vinyl.

Dusty in Memphis is the starter pack isn't it?

Not in my book. Dusty knew who she was from the very beginning of her solo career. Her first four albums (pre Atlantic Records) are all very strong.

A mono "Golden Hits" is a good starter pack. It has the tracks as Dusty meant them to sound, which hasn't always been true of later reissues.

https://www.discogs.com/Dusty-Springfield-Golden-Hits/release/2442451

The debut album, "A Girl Called Dusty", shares two tracks with "Golden Hits," so the second album "Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty" (which is a refined/improved version of the first) might pair better with the hits compilation.

I’m not that familiar but Spooky and The Look of Love are obviously wonderful.

I know it's hardly peak Dusty, but I do adore this camp old nonsense.

I love that too. If I didn't know otherwise I could believe that was a PSB production. Arrested By You I always enjoy as well, it is the three Dan Hartman tracks that are the weak links on the album.

Reactions: VoR
I think I want some Dusty vinyl.

My Dusty collection is on CD other than Dusty in Memphis but I agree with @syl that a compilation is probably the best first stop. The Silver Collection seems to be widely available and looks a good tracklisting. After that I would go with Memphis, it is her 'classic' album, and if you are buying new turns up in every vinyl sale going.

The White Heat album is well worth checking out for some very early eighties production and an eclectic selection of songs:

The closing track was allegedly recorded in one take in what Dusty thought was a rehearsal. It is quite unlike anything else she did:

I love If You Go Away anyway, but this is by far my favourite rendering of it. Just beautifully sad.

I do love If You Go Away. That final 'please don't go away' :(

Another classic big old dramatic ballad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom