04. Nothing Really Matters
05. What It Feels Like for a Girl
06. Deeper and Deeper
07. Bedtime Stories
08. Take a Bow
09. Erotica
10. Fever

Special mentions to Don’t Tell Me, Hollywood, Rain, Beautiful Stranger

and of course les grands classiques: Papa Don’t Preach, La Isla Bonita, Express Yourself, Open Your Heart

On 23 October 2020, my top 10 Madonna videos listétté looks a little something like this:

1. JUSTIFY MY LOVE
2. Vogue
3. Human Nature
4. Express Yourself
5. Bad Girl
6. Hung Up
7. Oh Father
8. Rain
9. Lucky Star
10. Open Your Heart

Vogue
I Want You
Human Nature
Nothing Really Matters
Don’t Tell Me
Rain
Like A Prayer
Justify My Love
Bedtime Story
Frozen

I could throw my tag around for a lot more, but this is my airtight Madge video showcase:

01. Vogue
02. Ray of Light
03. The Power of Good-Bye
04. Frozen
05. Rain
06. Oh Father
07. Like A Prayer
08. Express Yourself
09. Open Your Heart
10. Girl Gone Wild

Fuck it.

11. Cherish
12. Justify My Love
13. Deeper & Deeper
14. Take A Bow
15. Another Suitcase In Another Hall
16. You'll See
17. Secret
18. Ghosttown
19. Bedtime Story
20. Erotica

Last edited:
  1. Bedtime Story
  2. Frozen
  3. Like A Prayer
  4. Human Nature
  5. Vogue
  6. Hung Up
  7. Don't Tell Me
  8. What It Feels Like For A Girl
  9. Material Girl
  10. You'll See

1. Nothing Really Matters
2. Ray of Light
3. Like a Prayer
4. Love Profusion
5. Die Another Day
6. Don't Tell Me
7. What It Feels Like for a Girl
8. Bedtime Story
9. Live to Tell
10. Burning Up

1. Drowned world/Substitute for love
2. Open your heart
3. Frozen
4. Power of goodbye
5. La isla bonita
6. Hung up
7. Die another day
8. Ghost town
9. Express yourself
10. Don't tell me

GOSH

1. Frozen
2. Like A Prayer
3. The Power of Goodbye
4. You'll See
5. Hung Up
6. Ray of Light
7. Drowned World
8. Die Another Day
9. Don't Tell Me
10. Papa Don't Preach

She really has an embarrassment of riches. This is obviously 1989 to 1999-centric.

1. Like a Prayer - the imagery of her dancing with the dark hair and burning crosses is literally the pinnacle of pop music for me.
2. Take a Bow -she's never looked better
3. Express Yourself
4. Bad Girl - she can act!
5. Drowned World - often imitated (Everytime) but this can't be beat
6. Material Girl - iconic homage
7. Human Nature - the bookend of the "original" madonna era
8. Borderline
9. Vogue
10. Rain

Special mentions to "Bedtime Story", "The Power of Goodbye", "American Life (Original Uncut)", "Justify My Love", "I Want You", "Don't Tell Me"...

Shout-out to the UNDERRATED 'American Pie' with the QUEEN OF ONSCREEN DIVERSITY giving us a FAIRLY ACCURATE trip around the USA while GLOWING and WITH CHILD.

She really has an embarrassment of riches. This is obviously 1989 to 1999-centric.

1. Like a Prayer - the imagery of her dancing with the dark hair and burning crosses is literally the pinnacle of pop music for me.
2. Take a Bow -she's never looked better
3. Express Yourself
4. Bad Girl - she can act!
5. Drowned World - often imitated (Everytime) but this can't be beat
6. Material Girl - iconic homage
7. Human Nature - the bookend of the "original" madonna era
8. Borderline
9. Vogue
10. Rain

Special mentions to "Bedtime Story", "The Power of Goodbye", "American Life (Original Uncut)", "Justify My Love", "I Want You", "Don't Tell Me"...

Not even a mention of Frozen? :o

We had a YouTube on when friends were round as couple of years ago and the Ray of Light video came on and they all thought it was AWFUL (although they remembered the song fondly).

I was all like "BUT IT'S AWARD-WINNING DON'T YOU KNOW"

Ray of Light is a bit gimmicky but it's worth it just for the breakdown shots :disco: also DISCO NIPPLES :disco: :disco:

I love that "mother Earth (but sexy)" look on her and it's never more ICONIC than in that video.

madonna-ray-of-light-video-5.jpg

"I'm Surya the Goddess of Light" :disco:

The Ray of Light video is fantastique/hypnotique and totally complements the song.

Its only flaw is that its sister videos from the same album are so much better.

Frozen is my number 1, the others always change:
Like a Prayer
Open Your Heart
Bad Girl
Rain
Vogue
Human Nature
Don't Tell Me
Ray of Light
Take a Bow

1. Human Nature - if you wanna know, then I'm NOT sorry *door slam* segue into *coochie slam*
  2. Nothing Really Matters - come through cultural appropriation, but we cannot help but stan
  3. American Life [original] - the last balls-to-the-ball artistic statement she made in video. The final two minutes are riveting.
  4. Justify My Love - a post-Grindr moment pre-Grindr.
  5. Vogue - I mean, what else can we say but iconique.
  6. Don't Tell Me - I don't know if it belongs in the Top 10, but I think this was the peak of my Marge standom. Everything was just so effortlessly brilliant at this point.
  7. Drowned World / Substitute for Love - increasingly my favourite Marge "package", from song to video.
  8. Rain - that blue rinse was gag-worthy.
  9. Cherish - my earliest Marge memory
  10. Frozen - I agree that the special effects have aged, but I remember my twelve year old ass being FLOORED by the iconography. LATE 90s QUEEN.

Must say I am pleasantly surprised by the 'Nothing Really Matters' love - it would definitely be in my top 10 probably a week from today.

Although I accept the cultural appropriation issue, the Queen of Research and Literature was heavy into Memoirs of a Geisha (and I think at the time was considering being involved in the film in some shape or form) and had said that her look was based on Hatsumomo from the book. There is also a fair bit of symbolism about life/death/rebirth in the visuals (particularly the scene where she lays down and they letter her back), so it wasn't simply a case of picking a look out of a FASHUN magazine or whatever (hi Gwen Stefani with LAMB and bye Katy Perry with 'Unconditional').

Must say I am pleasantly surprised by the 'Nothing Really Matters' love - it would definitely be in my top 10 probably a week from today.

Although I accept the cultural appropriation issue, the Queen of Research and Literature was heavy into Memoirs of a Geisha (and I think at the time was considering being involved in the film in some shape or form) and had said that her look was based on Hatsumomo from the book. There is also a fair bit of symbolism about life/death/rebirth in the visuals (particularly the scene where she lays down and they letter her back), so it wasn't simply a case of picking a look out of a FASHUN magazine or whatever (hi Gwen Stefani with LAMB and bye Katy Perry with 'Unconditional').

Imagine Madonna had been cast as a Japanese geisha in that movie :disco::D
The outcry we'd have over that today...

Imagine Madonna had been cast as a Japanese geisha in that movie :disco::D
The outcry we'd have over that today...
She influenced the way I view that film so much :D

She was going on and on so much about the book and Hatsumomo that everytime I watch the film I think of Madonna as the character :disco:

And yes of course it would have been problematic if she had been cast in it (duh) but I think she was mentioned as a potential producer at the time.. I need to dig up the interviews.

Oh the water bag babies were a nice touch and it reeks of quality, but I just don't think they got what they could have out of the janky movements.

I just watched American Life again, and it's still... wow. I mean, my fave could never. If only she had kept doing this. As much as queens pop their buss to Hung Up, I would gladly sacrifice it for an alternative artistic trajectory, where Marge totally gave up on being a commercial force in 03.

Plus she looks absolutely stunning with that hurrrr. Why did this bish make me unlaminate my stan card circa Hollywood?

Plus she looks absolutely stunning with that hurrrr. Why did this bish make me unlaminate my stan card circa Hollywood?
I will never un-laminate my stan card and I was still very much on board with 'Hollywood' but 'Love Profusion' in full Esther English Roses garb made me doubt my internal anal sphincter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom