You've got friends coming round for dinner and you need to throw something together quickly

Salmon in brown sugar whiskey sauce with roasted broccoli and sweet potatoes. I’ve made it a few times and it turned out good.

Most of my friends seem to not eat either dairy or gluten or both, which takes away most of the meals I make myself

A pasta with broccoli and breadcrumbs (onion, garlic, chile flakes, and fresh parmesan too ofc) I've gotten nothing but compliments on. QUICKLY is about 50 minutes mind you. Anything less than that and I'd be stressing.

. QUICKLY is about 50 minutes mind you..
I think I’d need even more time since I don’t have any of the ingredients at home usually, besides whiskey and maybe broccoli. I’d also have to look up the recipe again

HOW QUICK are they coming round?

If it's IMMINENT then:
chunky rigatoni cooked til al dente // reserve pasta water // odd olive oil to pan // grate in some garlic and fry // add tomato paste, seasoning and a LARGE SPLASH of red wine (and chilli flakes if feeling devilish) // add some pasta water to form a sauce and let it cook down for a few seconds // add pasta back to pan and coat in sauce // cover in VEGETARIAN parmesan with a fabulous salad and some seasonal greens on the side :disco:

Really simple but a rather Italian way to serve pasta (why is the UK obsessed with chunky tomato sauces?), tastes amazing and feels fancy-ish.
There's also a variant you can make switching out the red wine for VODKA and single cream.

-

If it's not imminent then a whole roast cauliflower with harissa spices, mejadra and about TEN THOUSAND additional side dishes, salads, breads and sauces :disco:

HOW QUICK are they coming round?

If it's IMMINENT then:
chunky rigatoni cooked til al dente // reserve pasta water // odd olive oil to pan // grate in some garlic and fry // add tomato paste, seasoning and a LARGE SPLASH of red wine (and chilli flakes if feeling devilish) // add some pasta water to form a sauce and let it cook down for a few seconds // add pasta back to pan and coat in sauce // cover in VEGETARIAN parmesan with a fabulous salad and some seasonal greens on the side :disco:

Really simple but a rather Italian way to serve pasta (why is the UK obsessed with chunky tomato sauces?), tastes amazing and feels fancy-ish.
There's also a variant you can make switching out the red wine for VODKA and single cream.

-

If it's not imminent then a whole roast cauliflower with harissa spices, mejadra and about TEN THOUSAND additional side dishes, salads, breads and sauces :disco:
Isn't this the Hadid recipe? :eyes:

I’d order in too to be honest. I tend to grocery shop as needed, I don’t stock up.

Based on what I’d normally have in it would probably something very straightforward like a veggie sausage casserole or a veggie sausage & cheese pasta bake with garlic bread.

A roast chicken doesn’t take too long and pretty much satisfies everyone apart from those pesky veggies. Can even get one pre-roasted in M&S for £5

I’m not good at improvising. I can cook for myself but I need time to prepare and plan if someone wants to eat my food.

I can make a good lasagna but that’s a few hours worth of work. I guess I can bake some sort of pasta quickly.

DELICIOUS, NUTRITIOUS and ready in a JIFFY.

EW1x8iJXsAAeW6q.jpg

Especially if your friends are BEARS.

A pasta bake with lots of cheese is a fun weekday tea, of course - but not really a friends coming round for dinner type of thing surely? *clutches pearl necklace*

Unless it's one of those truffle oil mac'n'cheese' things or whatever.

And even then, in the words of Shania, I'd have to say NAH!

Why would you never cook for others though? Are you not confident in your abilities? I can help you dear. We can do naked cooking/cocking.
Seriously though what would you order? :)

I barely ever cook for myself either. It’s only recently that I’ve started cooking pasta. I only do sallads. Never had an interest in cooking it takes ages and causes a mess.

A pasta bake with lots of cheese is a fun weekday tea, of course - but not really a friends coming round for dinner type of thing surely? *clutches pearl necklace*

Unless it's one of those truffle oil mac'n'cheese' things or whatever.

And even then, in the words of Shania, I'd have to say NAH!

Well then you shouldn’t show up at my door last minute demanding food :evil:

probably pasta, a black bean sauce stir fry or mapo tofu

but really my friends know to call at least two months in advance

I made fideua with salt cod and prawns from the freezer tonight. That's one I'll keep in mind for a stress free one pan dinner you can pull off quickly mainly from the freezer and store cupboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom