1999: What a year for music!

Feel free to pop along! Playing all the hits*

*except The Millennium Prayer and Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen

Actually '79, '89 and '99 were ALL pretty great, weren't they? What was '09 like?

And was '19 really shit, or am I just really old (or both)?

Actually '79, '89 and '99 were ALL pretty great, weren't they? What was '09 like?

And was '19 really shit, or am I just really old (or both)?
I think 09 was strong. Lots of big dance pop.

1998 for me (Madge, Lauryn Hill, Massive Attack, Alanis, Cher, Air, PJ Harvey, Elliott Smith, Hole). :disco:

1999 was a fucking cracking year for film though. Perhaps the BEST EVER. The Sixth Sense, The Blair Witch Project, Election, American Beauty, The Insider, Boys Don't Cry, Toy Story 2, The Iron Giant, Notting Hill, 10 Things I Hate About You, Girl Interrupted, Scream 3, Cruel Intentions, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Faculty, Double Jeopardy, The Mummy...

1999 doesn't quite HAVE THE RANGE of '97 (for dance) and '98 (for female alternative rock icons), but it was definitely the bursting point of pop to re-emerge as something else. The Spice Girls really shouldn't have put their feet up at this point, but of course they all thought they could beat Geru at her own messy game.

:disco: What a year.

I’d actually go to that night, but it’s my birthday weekend and I can’t be arsed headed to North London for it.

Feel free to pop along! Playing all the hits*

*except The Millennium Prayer and Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen

The Millennium Prayer would be a great one to play at turfing out time, I'd have thought.

Blimey, trying to think what I was listening to in '99...I was knee deep in back catalogue, I think, mainly of the UK obscure underground type. "Norther Star" was '99, wasn't it?

I remember 99 like the year of the latin boom, if you were latin or include Spanish words, you had a hit: Ricky Martin, Jenifer Lopez, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, Mi chico latino, Mambo no 5, We're going to Ibiza...

I'm consulting Wikipedia - Blur's "13" was a biggie for me, right enough. As was XTC's orchestral masterpiece "Apple Venus Vol 1"...Pavement's very underrated "Terror Twilight"...Aphex Twin's very overrated "Windowlicker"...I definitely had the first Sigur Ros album and rated it...quite a few below-par releases from otherwise impressive bands/artists in the wiki albums list for the year.

Genie In A Bottle, Heartbreaker, Bills Bills Bills, If You Had My Love, Smooth, I Try, Say My Name just off the top of my head. :disco:

I love how many people see Britney as a 90s artist, when she only released 3 singles at the end of the decade. Surely BOMT is an iconic song of that decade, but this bitch is more 00s than anything else.

I actually got married in ‘99. If that worked out and he didn’t turn out to be such a horrible, disgusting person I would have been married for 21 years in May. Surely not. I am TOO YOUNG! :oi:

I remember 99 like the year of the latin boom, if you were latin or include Spanish words, you had a hit: Ricky Martin, Jenifer Lopez, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, Mi chico latino, Mambo no 5, We're going to Ibiza...

This always felt a tad over egged, you've probably listed the vast majority right there. Although obviously it was still a thing of sorts.

You know it's a quality year when there's an endless treasure trove of 10/10 flops whilst the actual chart wasn't offensive most weeks. 2009 was similar.

It wasn't all great though, the Westlife onslaught for starters. And the general culture of "if it's not top 10 - and maybe even if it is for added meanness - and you're on the scrapheap" was horribly cruel and unfair.

Looking at the numbers ones in 1999 (about 36 of them!) about a quarter are amazing songs but there's still a sea of shit as well.

This always felt a tad over egged, you've probably listed the vast majority right there.
In UK, actually. But it's true that I probably noticed them more for that reason. I was talking about my vision of 99 anyway.

Last edited:
BLATANT PLUG but it’s my 1999 night on Saturday for anyone who wants to re-live that year in music and dance to old pop that you’d never hear in any other club or retro night. Next of Kin and The Moffatts are ready!

As a final plug the 1999 night is tonight!

Only 6 tickets left and a small amount of tickets on the door!

I hope it goes well @aquaplex ! Due to geographical restrictions (and brand loyalty) I'll be at your DIRECT COMPETITION night in Glasgow, but think of us when you play Sunburn please.

This was the year I started watching MTV and became a music fan so it will always be speshul for me. It was mainly cause I had heard Baby One More Time on the radio (changed my life) and wanted to see it and record it on TV but I remember by that time they were playing Sometimes. Listening to Spotify's Top Hits of 1999 as I'm typing this.:disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom