2020 USA Presidential Elections

Four more years?

• Total voters
Does Michelle even have those aspirations?

it would however be a ticket I could get on board with

If by some miracle Trump loses in November, do we think there will be a peaceful transition of power? I can see him refusing to budge, claiming the results are FAKE NEWS...

If by some miracle Trump loses in November, do we think there will be a peaceful transition of power? I can see him refusing to budge, claiming the results are FAKE NEWS...

right now it really feels like the usa is heading towards a very dark place.

i don't think anyone should underestimate how something like this is only happening to them as a nation for the first time in many generations and how their entire system is wildly unequipped to handle it.

Michelle Obama as VP is pure fan fiction. It'll most likely be Harris or Warren, surely?
Don't count out good old EVIL TULSI

giphy.gif

Reactions: GNL
I of course would be here for Michelle Obama as VP! Though I must admit I know very little about her as a politician!

Same here. This sounds like a dream, but I have no idea of what she stands for.

Not that that matters when Trump is the alternative.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ree-midwest-battleground-states-idUSKCN2243KJ

Republican President Donald Trump trails Democrat Joe Biden among registered voters in three Midwestern battleground states that he narrowly carried in 2016 and are seen as crucial to winning November’s election, according to an Ipsos public opinion poll conducted exclusively for Reuters.

The poll, which ran from April 15-20 in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, showed 45% of registered voters said they would support Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, while 39% said they would support Trump.

It also found that Biden, vice president under Trump’s predecessor Barack Obama, has an advantage of 3 percentage points among registered voters in Wisconsin, 6 points in Pennsylvania and 8 points in Michigan.

The Ipsos poll shows Biden has maintained or slightly improved his lead over Trump in those states over the past few months, even though his campaign and the presidential primaries have been sidelined by the coronavirus pandemic. The United States has the most confirmed cases and deaths in the world with at least 821,000 people infected and at least 46,000 deaths.

Biden’s advantage in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania over Trump averaged 3 to 4 percentage points in February and March, according to an aggregation of survey results by Real Clear Politics.

That would also suggest that Trump has not experienced an uptick in support in the Midwest, even though he has commanded the public’s attention at the helm of the federal response to the coronavirus crisis and sought to cast himself as a “wartime president” fighting an invisible enemy.

A separate Reuters/Ipsos poll found on Tuesday that Biden has an 8-point advantage over Trump nationally, as support for him rose nationally in each of the last three weeks while disapproval of Trump’s response to the pandemic grew.

Biden winning for the dems is total fan fic. That's not pessimism, it's just an obvious truth. We'll look back on this thread the day after the election, read those pasts and have a good laugh.

Yes Trump's poll numbers are down, yes the economy is crashing. It doesn't matter - when it comes to it he'll find enough anxiety and hatred to stoke that vast swathes of forgotten/invisible/broke America will vote for him again. He loves to rally people against the system - even when he is the system! And Americans really are dumb enough to not only fall for it but gobble up his rhetoric and regurgitate it, at rallies and on Fox News soundbites, far away from the liberal bubble where we so blissfully reside. Sad!

The idea of America, one of the most extreme of right wing "democratic" countries in today's political climate (in which the whole world seems to be shifting further and further right and fuck the consequences), would suddenly go left or back to centre is quite absurd. What has anyone seen that would suggest any remote possibility of that?

"but the polls!!!" - come on now.

Sorry, so Biden actually is a centre-left candidate now?

You can't have your insane pessimism both ways Jark!

Biden winning for the dems is total fan fic. That's not pessimism, it's just an obvious truth. We'll look back on this thread the day after the election, read those pasts and have a good laugh.

Yes Trump's poll numbers are down, yes the economy is crashing. It doesn't matter - when it comes to it he'll find enough anxiety and hatred to stoke that vast swathes of forgotten/invisible/broke America will vote for him again. He loves to rally people against the system - even when he is the system! And Americans really are dumb enough to not only fall for it but gobble up his rhetoric and regurgitate it, at rallies and on Fox News soundbites, far away from the liberal bubble where we so blissfully reside. Sad!
I get that it's fun to have this much certainty on how everything's going to fall out in the most cataclysmic recession in about a century but I think you need to get real.

Michelle Obama as VP is 100% fan fiction :D She openly loathed every second of having to be First Lady!

Sorry, so Biden actually is a centre-left candidate now?

You can't have your insane pessimism both ways Jark!
Well relative to Trump he's not fucking right is he? If you move from conservative to moderate, that is in itself a move toward left. Do you follow?

Now versus Bernie, Biden is indeed to the right. Right of Bernie, left of Trump. That's Jark's theory of relativity in action.

THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM of a DRAMATIC SWING to... the middle! :o

Look, as Penelope says, anybody talking in definite terms right now is on a hiding to nothing, but I see plenty of reason to be optimistic that Trump doesn't have this sewn up by any means.

The idea of America, one of the most extreme of right wing "democratic" countries in today's political climate (in which the whole world seems to be shifting further and further right and fuck the consequences), would suddenly go left or back to centre is quite absurd. What has anyone seen that would suggest any remote possibility of that?

Politics here, and in most democratic societies, moves like a pendulum. The outcome of the US presidential election every 1-2 cycles for the past 200+ years is a testament to that. I think you are confusing the polarized political climate of today with political right extremism overtaking the American political sphere which is clearly not the case. If that was true the dems would not have won back control of the House in 2018. I get you are not enthused about Joe but don't get carried away.

Have you ever been to America? (Serious question)

if we're going to quote polls i'll make two points and shut it - 1) hillary was leading in the polls in 2016 and 2) sanders had a (much) bigger lead over trump as recently as weeks ago.

all in all:

i think it's all up in the air still. things are moving very rapidly.
i think biden is a fantastically shit candidate who only has not being trump (or a republican if we're feeling generous) going for him.
i have a feeling biden will not be the nominee/make it to the elections.

I get you are not enthused about Joe but don't get carried away.
It's really got nothing to do with Joe. He's bizarrely inconsequential to the whole thing. What it boils down to is that every headline is Trump. Everything is Trump right now, Biden is so invisible you can hardly believe there's an election in four months. His mantra that there's no such thing as bad press is being tested but i think it will ultimately turn out for him just as it always does. Bad press > no press.

i guess this story is escalating. are we due a new "i did not have sex with that woman"? and how ironic is it that fox is starting to spread it.

His mantra that there's no such thing as bad press is being tested but i think it will ultimately turn out for him just as it always does. Bad press > no press.
The polls in 2016 basically following a pattern of whichever one of Hillary or Trump was getting more attention (and invariably bad press) at the time doing worse in the polls kind of counters this :D Especially as there's a shitload of research out there backing up the idea that Comey announcing the FBI investigation in the last week was the straw that broke the camel's back for Hillary!

We do need something to spice this up a bit.

When is Hillary announcing she is running? :side-eye:

The Tara Reade story is still developing, with more people coming out to corroborate her claims:

Tara Reade's story now has more corroboration than Christine Blasey Ford's story. It should be a national scandal and it's barely on the radar.

Instead of asking Joe Biden literally one single interview question about this, the liberal media has attacked the reporter who broke the story, smeared Tara Reade as a Russian asset, and suggested people who believe her story are "trolling the Me Too movement".

Support whoever you want, but the Democrats holding the moral high ground on sexual assault is total bullshit (fellow Epstein investigators knew this already
Inp927a.png
)

awful.

equally so, the new york democratic party have cancelled the presidential primary and removed sanders from the ballot. the implications of this are to give sanders' less leverage at the convention and to dissuade progressives from voting in the down-ballot races happening at the same time.

They really are both utterly dreadful, aren't they

Biden is having a livestream soon, featuring a 'special guest' - Hillary Clinton is hinting that it's her, and people are already speculating she's going to be announced as his running mate. PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN IT WOULD BE THE FUNNIEST THING IN THE HISTORY OF THINGS

I think she's going to officially endorse Biden this evening. As if there was any chance that she wouldn't.

I would actually be gagged if Hillary was the VP :D

it would be the ultimate slap in the face of everything.

i don't think it will be though, she'll probably just endorse her fellow goon.

(not that i like the idea of stacey abrams much)

Five weeks after the story broke (and three weeks after the primary ended), Biden is going to be asked about Tara Reade. I'm curious to see how it goes.

It's disheartening to think for all of the SEEING and HEARING WOMEN that's supposed to take place on occasions like these, Reade hasn't been invited onto any network, apart from Fox News.

i'm not curious at all.

the chorus changed from "believe women!" to "women should be heard" in the blink of an eye when it came to one of "our own".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom