a thread about the future of the global left

ameraal

la loi de murphy
the climate seems to be ripe for discussions about the future of capitalism. and there seems to be a lot to be said.

i like yianis varoufakis and he is one of a very few european politicians on my radar.

Good luck with the thread am because I think I can already predict what's going to happen here :side-eye:

I like Yanis and that little speech he made is nice on a superficial shareable moment level but the reality is that *real* democracy isn't something you can implement in a hyper-capitalist society because the system itself creates different strata of power depending on the money you have from the get-go (birth, education, class, etc). It may be '1 person, 1 vote' in a democracy but we all know that some votes carry more weight than others.

I'm not a total pesimist but I don't think we will see a radical push against capitalism in our lifetime. It's so entrenched in the way we live that it would require either a total revolution (a pandemic x 1,000) or small incremental changes by continuous progressive governments across the whole world that aren't completely undone by the market or the following government and I don't know which one is unlikelier!

I really don't know what's going to happen, it feels like electoral politics are a bit of a dead end and maybe the focus should be on increasing the power of workers in other ways.

The issue always come back to values to me. Capitalism can do wonderful things and is only destructive when it's misused. It's why I think social and emotional learning in schools is so important. Kids need to know how your actions and decisions with money can influence others in your society. Instead of being groomed by greedy parents and spineless private schools that one day "this will all be yours".

Corny I know. But it always boils down to this for me.

the democracy in europe movement 2025 is launching the progressive international next week.

On Monday, 11 May, DiEM25 takes a giant leap in the formation of the Progressive International with the launch of its new digital platform.

Back in December 2018, we teamed up with the Sanders Institute to issue an open call to form a common front in the fight against a rising authoritarianism.

The year that followed has been described as a 'Wave of Global Protest.’ From Delhi to Paris, Santiago to Beirut, citizens rose up to defend democracy, demand a decent standard of living, and protect the planet for future generations.

2020 is the year that we unite these disparate protests in a Progressive International, bringing DiEM25 together with activists and organisers, trade unions and tenant associations, political parties and social movements to build a shared vision of democracy, solidarity, and sustainability.

On 11 May, we will go live with our new website — progressive.international — and announce the names of our Council of advisors, including familiar faces like Noam Chomsky and Naomi Klein, politicians like Álvaro García-Linera and Áurea Carolina, thinkers like Arundhati Roy and Nanjala Nyabola, and activists like Carola Rackete and Vanessa Nakate.

i became a member a while back and it feels like some momentum is starting to build. they're asking for donations if anyone is so inclined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom